1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Oct 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I did too but they never reached 95c not even in SLI. I had them well spaced though with great cooling, but they usually reached high 70s.

It depends how they were made to reach 95c really. If it was Furmark or something? well any GPU will get that hot if you leave it long enough.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

a new superstore costs more to run in 1 day then your pc will over its entire life - so a far greater global effect...

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Not really a node shrink avail that either is prepared to pay for. With both major gpu manufactures been fabless, They are relying on others to do the job for them and get it to 20nm. If either had a fab space they would of pushed 20nm a long time ago.

The first GPU to see 20nm will likely be the new maxwell chip from nvidia in 2014 (Q2 to Q3 release at earliest if they want 20nm as the sytems tsmc use will not be in place before Q1). And I expect those cards to be pricy and rare, Moving to a new node is always complicated.

Thats assuming Apple does not buy up all 20nm manufacturing from TSMC in the first place, ( Rumours point to them having a 4-5billion dollar order for chips for there next gen mobile cpu)

Increased die size is less complicated than a new nm and might be how they release another GPU on 28nm. AMDs cpu side of the business has needed 20nm for 3 years now.

Intel will launch a 14nm chip before we see a 20nm GPU by either manufacturer. Even intels 20nm chips are far from perfect after a long time on the production line.

4. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

What happens if you put one of these in a watercooling loop with your CPU? Wouldn't it heat up the CPU (As it's throttling temperature is 95c, and the CPU probably throttles at 80c or so) and slow the whole system down? Better hope you have a nice big radiator! And lots of airflow if your case is crowded...

5. rollo

rollo Modder

not many people put there gpu and cpu on the same loop unless your just after basic speeds on overclocks. If you going after the big clocks its seperate cpu and seperate gpu loops using 2 dif rads. The heat still gets out of the pc in case fans that are trying to remove it from the rads though.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

that's funny because on the stock cooler - mine did reach 100 degree`s in BF3.....

7. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

That's a very good point! I hope BitTech will publish a comparison along the lines you suggest; would be most interesting.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I know that, and I know that my humble action won't change anything onthe planet scale ... but ar least I am honest why my good old self :). The "everybody does it" is the worst possible excuse.

9. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Nice to see AMD deliver such power for great price. I hope this makes Nvidia drop their prices so I can grab me another GTX 780 to go along my GTX 780 HC. Next on the list for AMD is to improve the cooler.

10. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

i keep thinking that. it is a desktop not a laptop so put power hungry devices on your desktop. it'll still be 20 pounds cheaper in 2 years time accounting for the electricity

11. Panos

Panos Minimodder

This is new chip, not re-brand of 7000.

Still remembering the GTX480, GTX580, 8800GTX how much power they consumed when overclocked. More than the 290X for a fraction of the performance.

Huh forgot just upgraded to from a GTX580 that needed the Ratcliffe power station to burn a tonne of coal every hour to power it up when I was playing games, and was burning the same power as 2 7950s!!!!!

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Now for the 780 Ti

13. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Its the non x 290 that has my intrest

14. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Odd ! here is how I had them set up.

[​IMG]

And BF3 was fine. Didn't work very well in 3d though IIRC which was a shame.

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Why is the power draw on this review much higher than other reviews?

16. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Different test system, different benchmark.

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

TLDR; version: slightly overall faster than 780, but cheaper, and able to trade blows with the Titan.

yes, folks. we got a winner here.

SO it has noisy fan. SO it consumes a bit more power.

This card is meant for gamer and real l33t gamerzz doesnt care about those stuff.

Good job, AMD. Very good job.

- Nvidia Fanboy.

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'll eat my hat. I was convinced after seeing the 280x that the 290x would not be close to or surpass Titan in performance.

I was wrong, and other sources seem to happily demonstrate that.

Good job AMD. And good job for being fair with your pricing. You could feasibly have charged more than Nvidia does for Titan. Instead you have exposed their pricing.

Although the reality is, AMD need to get there first next time. And if they do, will they be tempted by the same forces that made Nvidia price the titan so high?

19. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Given that the 280X is just a re-bagged 7970 Ghz, I had no doubt that the new Volcano Island chip that will power 290 & 290X will be much better.

And seriously, many forgotten that there is a 280X Toxic (factory overclocked) that is as fast as a 780 at less than 1/2 of the price. (around £250)

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

:confused:

No, I am questioning (not asking you specifically BTW) whether we can expect to see similar throttling behaviour on the 290x in closed case environments as I have seen with the 780m. Whilst the chips are different the thermal throttling behaviour is similar (both will reduce GPU clocks to stay below (or at) a set temperature target.

This is something I would like to test myself but I am not spending £440 to find out (especially considering how loud the 290x gets in uber mode)

Tags: Add Tags