1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Anyone know about using SIP telephones with adsl router?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Picky88, 23 Oct 2013.

1. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Hello people,

I recently purchased a SIP Phone, it is a 3com NBX 2102PE. It has two ethernet ports. I have setup a SIP account with sipgate.co.uk, is it possible to connect this phone to my adsl router to make and receive calls, or do I need an intermediate SIP router? I only have one phone that I need to connect.

2. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

I'm not familiar with that phone, but you should just be able to plug it into the network and then configure the SIP account on the phone.

I've got about 50 running in this configuration and they are fine (as long as the internet connection holds up!)

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

If it's just one phone at home then it should be fine going out on your dsl. Configure the account on the phone and you should be off. I have a phone next to me which is in a similar configuration, and i'm in a shared office of about 80 people and it's going out on the same line that everyone else is (except its an uncontested 100mb line).

4. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Right ok. I am concerned that the phone might be broken as the handset gives out a constant buzzing noise whether it is on the hook or off.

I am exchanging emails with sipgate who seem quite helpful. Cant seem to find a proper manual online for this phone, Cannot see how to enter my account details!

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I've found an online pdf, which you may be able to print off here

6. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the PDF, it may come in useful later once I have the phone working, but that particular guide only tells you how to use the phone once it is working and connected.

I have to specify what my IP is on the phone, yet I am running a DHCP server on the local lan, so this may be an issue.

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

sipgate contacted 3com and the phone I have only works with a 3com telephone server type device, which go for about £1000 on ebay, and connect lots of telephones.

Looks like I bought a dud!

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

in the router set a reserved ip address for the phone, and set that address in the phone maybe?

9. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Given that the 3com representative says it cant be run as a standalone phone, I am not going to pursue it any further, it could probably be done but its not designed to work without a seperate server and there are lots of other SIP phones out there that do what I need.

Any good recommendations for a good SIP phone for a small business?

10. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

Have you looked at the Gigaset range? I have been using C475IP for a few years. It does its job and the only downside about it was the lack of usable ringtones - only one was acceptable, the rest are annoying. I am guessing you would have more or better choices on the high end ones.

11. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Can't go wrong with a cheap Yealink.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Or you could just use any old POTS phone with something like a PAP2. Sometimes you can get those for super cheap. I had one of those for awhile before I got a better modem/router with built in voip/sip support. Sadly I am about to loose my service in a few days though since sipgate is pulling the plug in the US.

13. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the input guys, I found a Grandstream GXP2000 for only £30 on ebay. Checked the online manual first and that has all the SIP login details for it.

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Cisco SPA-504G every time.

15. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Aastra 6739i thanks.

I work for a rather large IP Telecoms company in london, we've just got the new Polycom dect conference kit in, smexy.

Anywho!

Most sip phones work out of the box with the majority of modems, if you have any issues like: no inbound audio, no registration etc and you're sure you're set up correctly - check stun or outbound proxy, check SIP ALG.

16. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help, I may need it when setting up. I find it very distracting when you only have half duplex working - my voip app running on my mobile is only half duplex. The phone I bought (still in the post) and the sipgate service both support full duplex, but I have read it can be tricky to solve if you find it only working half duplex.

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Indeed. Just don't ever go near the Cisco UC560. Worst telephone system known to man.

18. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Cisco 7941 here

Last edited: 28 Oct 2013
  19. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I got the phone working today, very straightforward to setup through its own little web interface, and calls worked both ways. I noticed that you can choose what type of codec is used, any thoughts on which one would be best, our adsl is a fairly long line so I imagine a few lost packets sometimes. 2mb down and 0.3 up shared with other PCs etc.