1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Strategy type PC Games?!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cool_dude, 25 Oct 2013.

1. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Looking for a new pc game to play.

Leaning towards yet another strategy game, one I recall is Cossacks - are there any modern versions of something similar?

I had a look at Total War Rome 2 - however from YouTube videos it doesn't look like you develop the city as well as an army etc?

Wondering if any of you have some suggestions? Looking for a city construction/army game - recently played SimCity however it simply ends far too quickly. Any sort of strategy game I'd like to hear about.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Cossacks was cool. I never managed to get it to work on Win 7, and Cossacks 2 didn't seem as good.

Empire Total war is good, as you say though, it's not quite the same. It's still an epic game, and I've put far too many hours into it. Nothing beats watching a line of 1000 riflemen firing by rank, :D

After putting in some more time into Napoleon TW I think Empire is better. Napoleon makes stuff more expensive and simplifies the tech tree. The napoleon campaign is alright, but I found the world domination games not as good, and there's only Europe rather than the whole world in Empire.
    It's easily worth the £13 on steam, but if you wait till the Xmas sale it'll probably have the collection for some silly low price as usual, which makes it even better value.

There's Civ 4 & 5, but I found them to be a bit boring and tedious, and there's no battles like cossacks/TW stuff, just the wider management.

There's Anno, but the military aspect of that isn't the main focus, still an awesome series though, and at ~£5 for Anno 1404 it's a steal.

I don't think there's been many new entries into this genre for quite a while.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

My favourite is Civ 5, although civ 4 is a bit more fun. I tend to avoid the real time stategies like the total war series so I can't really comment on them.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've put over 100 hours into Civ5 with Brave New World. The addon is much better than the original release.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not played Cossacks so, off the top of my head,

Elemental:War of Magic/Fallen Enchantress/ Fallen Enchantress:Legendary Heroes. Has both city development (iirc, but not building, think Civ) and armies. I like this game, but find I don't play it much. Has hero units and quests.

Civilization - whichever one floats your boat, for me it's 4

Anno 2070/1404. There's more to 2070+ expansion than 1404+ expansion, but 1404 is still a good game. As already said they're more build and manage your cities games, with some military elements. Prefer 2070, I have deep ocean too and I do really enjoy it.

Other RTS'

Sword of the Stars 1+2. I have a love hate relationship with these games. Not really any city building etc, but you have to manage your planets production so the planet doesn't degenerate, there's trade. If you read any reviews of SoTS 2, it'll probably be around release where the game was infact a broken mess.

Europa Universalis 4. My god I find this game hard, probably because I want to conquer the world I don't want to play as one of the recommended lot. Not much city development other than click square to build 'blah'. I may someday figure out how not to be bad at this game.....

Star Wars Empire at War. Has a bit of planetary development, has both ground and space combat. Actually it can get a bit annoying, if I have my fleet of Star Destroyers orbiting your undefended planet, like hell am I going to send down my stormtroopers! I'll make it rain.

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion: Space, not really any planet development other than to upgrade population and income from it. Hero units. Also has trade and pirates Yarrr!

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Bindi - It's only going to get worse buddy. The new patch has been released and added a few more awesome bits and bobs here and there!

7. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Had a look through YouTube but can't say anything there that is tempting me. Shame, wanted a bit of variation from BF4!

What's frustrating is how disappointing SimCity was - graphically in the trailers it looks ace but game play wise you are done within an hour/two at most!

Cant say any new games (apart from BF4) are tempting me, shame really!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Noo what? New patch? When? :eeek: I have a month old baby and a job, I can't know this.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I have very fond memories of playing Cossacks, loved the naval combat :D

Cossacks 2 is different, but I really enjoy it. I haven't played the campaign, and have only done one or two of the set battles, I mainly play the Battle for Europe mode (which was added with the Battle for Europe expansion I believe) and it's great fun. It's a slow game, with some issues running on W7/8 (crashes and the like) but I still think it's fantastic.

Other strategy games I have good memories of include Dawn of War, CoH (tried playing that again recently but I'm just too bad :p)

The Anno games are fantastic, not very much combat but if you played SimCity then that might not be an issue. I'd recommend 1404 gold as a starter just because it can be picked up so cheaply and should provide you with plenty of gameplay :)

10. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

SIMCITY 5!!!, this game is addictive :D

11. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

It is, for an hour. Then you've done all that needs to be done lol :hehe:

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV. It's a beast to get your head around but it's awesome when you do

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Crusader Kings 1 is in the latest Bundle Stars bundle.

14. ImperialPenguin

ImperialPenguin What's a Dremel?

Yeah Civ games can get a little addicting... Not that I have a problem or anything, ofcourse...