1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New SSD recommendation for NAS running WHS2011

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halfinched, 25 Oct 2013.

1. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

So I've been having a somewhat fraught time with my NAS of late. It's been going to sleep and not waking which has had me doing this :wallbash:

Fortunately my sister very wisely married a HP engineer. He's had it for 2 weeks and discovered that the bios on the mobo had a known error but also that the Crucial M4 64gb SSD I had in there also does. Unfortunately running WHS2011 means the firmware update won't run on it so I need to get a new SSD for the server.

WHS2011 just about squeezes onto 64gb but I figure I may as well go for 128gb version and have some room to breath.

Am looking at the SanDisk from the buyers guide but just thought I'd post and see if anyone had any recommendations.

thanks.

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Before you buy a new SSD, have you not thought about either using the bootable f/w update that Crucial provides or temporarily sticking it into another machine as a secondary drive & updating it in Win 7/8?

Yeah, i'm not saying that you shouldn't buy a new SSD...

...but in that i doubt you'll find much of a use for your M4 elsewhere &, whilst it's a pretty slow SSD (the 64GB M4 really wasn't up to much), i highly doubt that you're doing anything with WHS that'll materially gain from anything faster, it seems to be a perfectly good use for it.

Also, i thought that the default WHS2011 install was <20GB(?) - so, whilst you may well be adding a/v, firewall, defragging, etc software, i'm not entirely sure why you'd be pushing the 59.62GB formatted capacity.

Yeah, if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, imho you'd get much more from putting it towards a decent new 250/256GB SSD for a desktop/laptop...

...or, in truth, spending it in the pub.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

4. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

WHS2011 install easily fits only a 64Gb SSD, but by default it puts all backups on the C drive so it needs a larger 160Gb drive before it will install.

That is unless you do the workaround. I have my install on a 64Gb drive, and have never had issues.

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

You're quite correct, though i'd assumed that the OP had done something like this already in that he/she is using a 64GB SSD - just has issues with updating f/w.