1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printer 'gun parts' found in Manchester raid

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Teelzebub, 25 Oct 2013.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Don't give them ideas. ;)

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Purpose has something to do with it. There is only one thing that you can use a gun for, while other objects have other peaceful and harmless uses.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

True, But the argument was that because a 3D printer could be used to make guns it should be banned in that vain then so should lathes etc the gun is only a by-product of what is really a tool

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

They look stupid the user is more likely to end up in hospital than anyone else.

Like a boss...

5. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

The article is a little vague, was this person simply arrested for attempting to make a 3d gun and gun powder?

Neither of which is illegal, or was it a raid for something else where they just happend to find those things?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

Pretty sure professional gun smiths have used a 3D printer to make gun parts already. Doesn't make the capability of those machines a bad thing, the intention of the user is the potential problem. The point is, if someone is desperate enough to manufacture a weapon they'll use whatever method they can, legal or otherwise, surely!?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

8. Nexxo

I disagree with that argument (and agree with you). A 3D printer or lathe has a purpose that is not exclusively to make weapons. It's just a tool.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

10. Nexxo

Hey, it's Hit Girl. :p

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I work in the additive manufacturing industry (or as everyone else seems to call it, '3D printing') and stuff like this really irritates me. I fear that laws will be put in place by those who don't understand the technology limiting the capabilities of these machines. How are we supposed to control it? Analyse a model being printed for geometry indicative of a gun? That'll probably mean 90%* of parts would be rejected.

I like the video DXR_13KE posted. It shows that using some simple off the shelf components would be far more effective and cheaper than using a freely available 3D printer - something I've been telling everyone who cares to listen. To be honest, you're probably better off using a knife than a 3D printed gun to murder someone.

You'd also be surprised at the amount of people who have access to general machining tools - these would make a far more effective gun. I don't see anyone making a song and dance about clamping down on these.

*Made up number

12. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sure its easy to make a gun if someone wanted to, but i think what has some people worried is the ease that a 3D printer brings to the process.
    Making a gun or its parts with machining tools take time and some skill, where as any wally of any age can use a 3D printer and it would take considerably less time.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I would argue that the current consumer 3D printers are so slow that it would be significantly quicker to make a simple gun from pipe than printing one, The other thing you have to take into account is that, yes whilst anybody can use a 3D printer, printing a working gun with one isn't going to be as simple as it sounds.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But the perception of Jo public fed by the media doesn't match reality.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I have access to 3D printers (and i can design and print very intricate parts) and no access to machining tools and i am sure i can make a far more effective gun with pipes and nails, i can even make a deadly crossbow without any machining and using very common supplies.

edit:

from http://hackaday.com/2013/10/25/mills-and-lathes-apparently-illegal-in-the-uk/:

Last edited: 26 Oct 2013
  17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@DXR_13KE, Not sure i understand what you are trying to say :confused:
    First you say how much easier it is for you to make a gun with pipes and nails or a crossbow. Then you post a link echoing exactly what i said above about the public perception not reflecting reality.

There are many widely held opinions that are incorrect or false hoods reported by the media, but that doesn't stop Jo public from wanting something done about them, a fear doesn't have to be real.

― Will Smith : After-earth
    “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.”

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

That is why we, the people that know, must speak out and educate.

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Main point I think that's missing from the article is why this person was targetted by police when it was obviously not gun parts.

Was it just becasue he's got a 3D printer? If so, how did they know?
    Was he bragging on the internet or pub that he could make a gun with his 3D printer and someone grassed him up?

It seems so ridiculous it makes me wonder if it even happened.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24666591