1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Gotcha. I must confess I don't have that much experience with non-consumer-grade networking equipment.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Me neither, learn something new every day! :D

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Ouch I bet they cost a fair bit being that they are Cisco ones.

Could you not get some Generic ones?

We use Generic SFP's at work for everything up to 10Gbp/s circuits and only when we go above that do we need to start looking at Branded ones, or for the initial ones on the Transmode equipments which are XFP's.

I must admit I would love to have a motherboard with a SFP slot on it, as I could then try and sort out a nice 10Gb link to my house :worried:

4. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

30€/piece locally (used of course).

I could get generic ones, but those were the cheapest I could find locally, if I need more I'll probably go for generic ones from eBay. Also these are for my Cisco 3750 L3 SFP-switches which are part of my Cisco-lab (for studying), and those switches can handle only 1Gbps max. (Otherwise I would definitely find 10Gbps NICs for my home server and PC :naughty:)

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Damn I love the thrift store:

[​IMG]
    (apologies for the poor quality - camera flipped out for some reason and added in about four gallons of DOF)

Clockwise from back left: Gogandantess from Onimusha 2 (2002); a very broken Waspinator from the Deluxe Transmetal series (1998); Airazor from the Deluxe Transmetal series (1998); a very strange Matel broken hand thing that has facility to hang on your wall - no idea what it is (2001); General Grievous with Exploding Body! from the Revenge of the Sith Collection 1 (2005).

Total: $10

:D

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I USED TO HAVE THE AIRAZOR!

I used to have a crap ton of transformers toys, starting with the original beast master ones to the revamped beast masters, plus regular transformers. Sadly, I was young (like 5-10) so most of them ended up with missing parts / broken, and in the end were donated to Goodwill when I outgrew them. Little did I know to collectors they had some decent value, granted they wanted mint condition and boxed.

I still love playing with transformers when I visit my younger cousins, but I have one issue with them, how the hell is an 8 year old supposed to transform one?! They've only gotten more complicated over time.

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Just got my BF4 pre-order in.

8. mansueto

Some new skates. My old pair was broken, and I couldn't get them fixed for a reasonable price. They were some 8 year old CCM tak's with an odd shaped plastic blade holder (part between the boot and blade) and most places quoted me 60 bucks, plus 10 for sharpening to have them replaced, BUT none of them could source the blade holder. The only other option was to retrofit a new ccm blade holder by drilling holes into the boot and replacing both the holder and blade, but that would have cost 120 bucks. Ended up getting a new pair of wide bauer's for 95 plus tax, and some waxed laces included for free.

Also 20 bucks towards ice rental for next Friday night. I'm super excited to be back on the ice!

On a side note: Mother didn't mind paying for the skates, father was less than impressed.

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Picked up some rhodia paper because my diamine blues don't play nice with my current paper and F or EF nibs.

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

To replace my small unit & stupid old floating shelf.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nice. Gotta love being on the ice!

13. mansueto

Tell me about it, last winter wasn't particularly cold so many of the outdoor rinks here were never made / weren't useable. It's also difficult to organize anything with ice rental since no one wants to cough up the up-front cost. Our friends are notorious for agreeing to come, then not showing up, leaving us or others to cough up more money.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not a purchase per se, but a payment from a friend in lieu of money owned (i.e. he asked if he can pay back in nice whiskies I don't know - I agreed):

1 Bottle of Singleton of Dufftown 12 year
    [​IMG]
    I actually tried a wee bit of this the other day and properly enjoyed it. Now to see what a whole bottle is like.

1 Bottle of Knob Creek Kentucky Bourbon
    [​IMG]

Mainly due to me not being versed at all in terms of Bourbon, which is partially due to availability here being sh*t

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    My stickers have arrived

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Oct 2013
  16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Kovoet: Next time try resize, 4x2k pixels and 2.7MB is a bit too much for few stickers. And while you are at it, you could rotate the picture too :D.

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I tried a Singleton 12yo at World of Whiskies in Heathrow on Friday. Was average at best, but then I'm a horrifically picky whisky drinker. I typically detest most bourbon, but Knob Creek is actually pretty good. Like I'd open the booze cupboard and actually pick Knob Creek out of the dozens of Scotches I usually keep.

As for me, I went a bit silly at duty free myself...

[​IMG]

L-R : Ardbeg Uigeadail, Ardbeg Corryvreckan, JW Explorers Club "Spice Route" and Laphroaig QC.

There were a lot of excellent whiskies at Heathrow, but I decided to go with the Ardbegs since they're hardest to find in the other countries I travel to.

For anyone who's interested in opinions: the Uigeadail may well be the best whisky I've ever tasted, while the Corryvreckan is the whisky equivalent of getting in a ring to box Muhammad Ali - sure, you're trading blows with a legend, but he's also breaking your face with every sip (I've completely mangled that analogy but it's the best I could do after being awake so long). It packs a wallop, but I enjoy it in a sort of masochistic way - kinda like eating really spicy food.

I was sort of obliged to buy the JW Silk - I was raised on Black Label and am partial to the JW brand, so I always pick up their new/special edition stuff. I tasted both the Silk Route and Gold Road at World of Whiskies and while the Silk was good enough to warrant a purchase, the Gold was flat, characterless and utterly forgettable.

The Laphroaig QC is something I've made a habit of buying, so that I can have a small stockpile in case they stop making it! That's how good it is, and it's unbeatable for the price.

FWIW, I drink my whisky neat and at room temp, typically in a rocks glass, although I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered a couple of Glencairn glasses.

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Got board on the way the Northampton but point taken.Thanks

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Good stuff Stoned! Are you still in the UK?

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

None of those you mention are even available here.

As for the Singleton 12 - I tasted it and found it enjoyable. Quite similar to the Chivas 12, if somewhat smoother, and roughly the same price.
    I found it in general somewhat "boring" for a single malt.

That said - I have a bottle of Jameson Select Reserve at home that bores me to tears (really - mates with soda or coke get this stuff until the bottle's done), and a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 (never tried it before - i know, i know), which was also underwhelming.

To me the best single malts I've tried were the Glenmorangie Lasanta and the Quinta Ruban.
    They were a bit "Much" though... not easy drinking.