1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V The Sonos Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 16 Oct 2013.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Sonos is still way ahead of the competition! :D

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

You are misinterpreting outdated with bad. As soon as one standard comes out there are at least 5 more in the works. It's a simple fact of the Tech industry. Just look at all the different approaches there are to streaming audio on the market at this time. Next year there will be more.
    Its just the way consumer based markets function. There is a build in "use by date," so next year or the year after that you buy the next upgrade.

There are a few exceptions like Speaker tech is mostly stagnant. Which is one of the reason I personally like to keep my speakers apart from the Tech that feeds them.

Do not get me wrong the Sonos AIO systems are great but what would you have left if they where to shut down the servers? It's not a question of if but when. Some day it will happen and it may happen sooner then any one would predict. Say a hostile take over.

But I would not worry about that Sonos is still doing quite well unlike my Squeeze Box touch which is already out of production and there is no UE replacement from Logitech and even if there where UE Use a different server. I'm just saying I would refrain from spending money I don't have on something that might not work fully by the time I pay for it.

3. jinq-sea

Highly unlikely, I'd say. Plus, they don't require a permanent connection like, say, XBOX Live. There would also be global uproar...

I'd also class these as hi-fi, not tech, but that's just me!

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You would have exactly what you had the day before.

I think you are misunderstanding how Sonos works... If Sonos as a company disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, Sonos components would still do exactly what they do today.

Case in point, I moved in to a new house recently and was internet-less for a couple days. The first thing I did was dig out a Play:Connect, a NAS and some active speakers to get some music to unpack by - nothing to do with Sonos servers.

Granted, there are streaming services which are playable through Sonos, I use Spotify for instance, and if that shut down tomorrow I'd probably find another streaming service to use (lots to choose from, fortunately). I'd still be able to play my own music and stream internet radio though.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Got these set up a couple of days ago and DEAR SCIENCE THEY'RE AMAZING :D

The sound that they can produce has truly blown me away - I've actually had to turn the bass down in the eq as at 50% it's almost too much. Also my concerns about the Play:1 not being loud enough in the kitchen were totally unfounded - again 50% volume is too loud even with the kettle etc going...

Thanks and rep to all for the advice :thumb: (Oh and I'm already planning my next Sonos purchase!)

Edit:
    If you do want this one then drop me a PM - I'll do you a good deal :thumb:

6. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but this thread has just convinced me to go and buy a Play1 tomorrow!

Am i right that if i use the wired connection i dont need a bridge? If i want to use wifi, i have to use a bridge?

EDIT: further googling has taught me.... so long as one sonos device is hardwired, be it a bridge or a Play i'm in business

Last edited: 25 Nov 2013
  7. Mister_Tad

Correct, every Sonos has bridge capabilities. Whether it's a Play:1 or a Connect or a bridge or whatever, it's a bridge if it's plugged in to a wired connection.

This is because the Sonos network isn't strictly speaking wifi, so it needs at least one component hard wired to act as the AP as it doesn't use your "normal" wifi.

jamesn likes this.
  8. GeorgeK

If you buy from Richer Sounds* at the minute (and why wouldn't you...) you get a free bridge anyway - I got two :D

*Offer probably valid elsewhere too btw!

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

As far as I know you can use the bridge as a wifi extender as well (if hardwired)

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Just got into my new place a week ago, planning an entire remodel (will finish next year Q3) and will be using sonos for multiroom audio. Bought myself a Play:1 today to have a fiddle.

11. GeorgeK

I'm still blown away by them to be honest - the sound something that small can produce doesn't quite compute for me... Love being able to stream basically anything ever recorded using Spotify Premium too...

12. Mister_Tad

Really that good, eh?

Any comparisons/references you can throw out there? I'm starting to like the idea of a pair of them.

13. jinq-sea

I've decided to trade my Connect:Amp that's still new in the box for a pair of Play:1s.

Problem is, I need to find someone to complete the trade, or sell the Connect:Amp...!

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

They sell for quite a lot on Ebay, I've been looking out for Sonos products on Ebay for ages.

You'd get most of the cash to get your play 1's I'd say.

I've got the Magic Birthday/Christmas combo getting me a Play:1 and a Connect for the pair. I love my parents.

15. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Are your parents looking to adopt?? If so I'm available

I have to say that after playing with Airport Expresses for a while I am getting more and more hacked off with them. I'm thinking that a change is afoot.....

16. GeorgeK

I don't own any other 'high' end audio kit so not really. I have a Cambridge Audio Amp that's ~12 years old now and some monitors (Gale Silver I think) and a Play:1 more than gives them a run for their money. I've not tried pairing mine yet but I imagine it'd be a lot of fun (and LOUD :D). The thing that amazes me more than anything is the range that they produce - basses are deep without losing the clarity elsewhere... The bass is so powerful that I've had to turn it down - above 50% volume you can feel the unit vibrating itself but that doesn't affect the sound quality in any way. The final thing I'm impressed with is how they handle a range of volumes - nothing is lost at low volume (read: background noise whilst eating dinner) but there's no distortion when they're cranked up (read: cooking dinner with washing machine going, kettle on etc)

17. jinq-sea

The Play:5 I found to be painfully loud at 100% volume (read: ear-bleeding) - the fidelity of Sonos gear is quite remarkable.

18. GeorgeK

I've not had these past 50% or maybe 60% when the wife's out of the house :naughty: What I find amazing is that even at that level the sound quality isn't lost unlike some things where, after a while, volume increases cause massive sound quality drops

19. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

This is my findings from the play:3 so far. It does drop off a bit around 80%+ but it shouldn't really be used at that level anyway, as unless you're at the other end of a hall, its just too damn loud.

QUESTION

What do you think about mounting the Play:1 at ceiling level? (A few cm down on a wall bracket)

20. GeorgeK

I can't see any reason why not - I noticed earlier actually that Richer Sounds sells a good range of mounts specifically designed for Play:1s. I suppose the main thing would be having a handy plug socket - the leads that come with the Play:1s aren't super long...