1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Redemption [Fractal XL R2 Mod] [Update 4/11/15..New Stuff]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by hero1, 29 Oct 2013.

1. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Redemption​
    Hello everyone. I am new here (forum wise, I've been reading articles, reviews, mod logs for years). I go by the name of Hero1 (Hero) and I am from Ontario, Canada. I would like to share with you my build called Redemption. That's right, Redemption. I am using my great Fractal Design Define XL R2 and turning it into something I want, something more "me".

I am going to put 2 x 360 mm extra thick rads into the case; one up top and one in the bottom area. The bottom one will be standing on it's side to accommodate the PSU. I originally wanted the PSU hanging on the outside but that wasn't working. So here we go and the project is pretty much close to being done.

Case: Fractal Desing Define XL R2 Titanium Gray
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Evolution 1000W Gold with MDPC sleeves
    CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
    MB: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
    RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws Z 16 GB 1866MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper
    Storage: Samsung 830 256 GB
    Sound: Creative SB Z
    ODD: Samsung DVDRW
    Keyboard: Logitech G710+
    Mouse: Corsair M60
    Display: Dell 27" U2713HM
    Controller: Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
    Headset: Sennheiser PC 350
    Speakers: Audioengine A5+B
    Fan Controller: G-Vans Legion 4 Channels Fan Controller.

Cooling Hardware:
    2 x 360 mm EKWB XTX rads
    1 x EKWB D5 Vario w/ X Top
    1 x EKWB Supremacy Plexi Copper
    1 x EKWB X3 Multioption Res 150 ml
    2 x Alphacool Res clamps
    EKWB 3/8"ID x 1/2"OD SCF and some 45 and 90 degrees fittings
    13 x 120 mm Noctua NF-P12 fans
    1 x Koolance 360 mm rad shroud
    1 x Bitspower 360 mm rad guard

Tools Used:
    Hitachi Jigsaw (1000x better than the Mastercraft that it replaced)
    Dremel 4000 with a lot of bits
    Mastercraft Drill/Drive (need to replace due to lack of real power)
    Bosch 5' ROB
    Husky Folding Work Table (great for those of us who live in apartments/flats and don't have access to workshops) and several other tools

Last edited: 11 Apr 2015
  2. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

SPONSORS and Final Pictures

Here's the shot of the parts that I have. The build will be powder coated with Fire Engine Red and the rads will retain the black colour. I wish I thought before I bought more Noctua Fans because now I need black fans with the same capability to make this build have more contrast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Dec 2013
  3. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

This was my last setup before I took the case apart. I forgot to take the photos for tear down process but I am sure you will forgive me for that:worried:

[​IMG]

Then I began by measuring the areas that I wanted to cut and masked them with painter's tape.

First, I cut off the top ( I made a mistake here and I will let you in on that later on)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I went after the left side panel that will have a window on it:clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that I took the trip to down under (bottom of the case that is and not Australia:hehe:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I filed the areas that I cut and I got a clever idea to use the piece that came from the side panel as a rad plate for the bottom of the case. So I went to work on thatt:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And like I said, the original idea was to have the bottom rad flat with some of the PSU hanging out. So I cutout the fan holes and I made a mess on the middle hole. The other 2 were perfect until this point. I took the Bitspower radguard and tried to mend my mistake by following its contours but that didn't do it either:sigh: Let's just say I am stubborn and things have to be close to perfect or they get the boot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Teaser shots and modifications

Then I proceeded to take teaser shots and see how things will look once the work is done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I decided it was time to remove the stock PSU mounting bracket and I was not satisfied with the top of the case or the bottom of it. So I went out and bought some steel sheets and made new rad mounts. The issue with the top of the case was that I didn't offset the cut the way that I should have done in order to accommodate the thick rad sandwiched between the 6 fans for better clearance against the MB and RAM.

PSU bracket gone:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I took some shots to see how it looks. I liked it but not good enough.:waah:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Sanding

At this point, I felt that it was alright but deep inside I knew something was going to change. So I decide to move on to sanding. Some of my new made friends advised me to do so and this way the paint would stick better. So I bought a Bosch 5" ROB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Fitting the rad and trouble

I tried to fit the rad and the PSU. The rad would not fit properly:wallbash: becuase I forgot to take the front fan bracket into account and when I looked at the way the PSU was going to sit, I just shook my head:nono::nono:
    The idea was to use the larger HDD cage to make a PSU bracket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Removed the fan bracket and changed the build layout

After I realised that it was not going to work, I decide to change the build style where the bottom rad will lie on it's side and the PSU will go behind it. And with the bottom fan mount gone, I realised that I can now have a drain valve come out through the front:idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Cutting the MB tray and changing the rad plates

So I went ahead measure and cut the MM tray so that it fits the MB and leaves room for me to place the PSU. I also had to cutoff some of the PCI brackets. After that I went and bough 2 mm thick aluminium sheets and closed the bottom of the case and made a new plate for the top rad to sit on.I didn't like the steel sheet that I used since it was too thin and I felt that it wouldn't work so well. So out went $30 worth of steel sheet into recycling and in came $50 of aluminium for me to use:clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

PSU bracket and Side Panel Cover

I moved on to making a new PSU bracket from the aluminium sheet. And I also received a Phobya rad mount from FrozenCPU with other stuff that I had ordered. This called for an action plan: create intake holes for the bottom rad on the left side panel. I had known that I needed to do this but I waited until I received the rad mount to get precise measurements as to how low/high the rad will be and where the fan cutouts should go. This meant that I had to remove the lower portion of the side panel and refitted it with aluminium panel that I bought.:thumb:

PSU Mounting Bracket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Re-sized Left Side Panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Asouter likes this.
  10. Asouter

Asouter --------

Heyyy welcome to Bit-Tech Hero1, good to see you here and looking forward to following this progress :clap:

11. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Thanks bud. I am glad to see you too.:rock:

12. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

This evening I filed and placed the PSU bracket, just needs better bending. After that, I cut and filed the fan holes on the left side panel. This baby is ready for painting. I will make the cuts for exhausting the air on the other panel after the powder coating is done as I am not sure what style to go with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

This morning I managed to drop off the case for powder coating and I am expecting to have it back either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday and I will then finish off the build and start a new one from scratch!

14. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

I got the case powder coated and here is how it looks. The colour is Rock Star Red due to the gold flakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

Lookin good so far!

16. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Thanks bud. I will be done soon!

17. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

System Building Has Began

More progress shot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Here are some photos of the goodies that I have!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Update: More fittings, mock setup!

I call this Fittings in the Dark. I really like the Enzotech 90 degrees adapters. I will be buying their other stuff later on.
    [​IMG]

I used the aquapipe to connect the CPU block and MOFSET block!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Dec 2013
  20. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Update: Mounted Top Rad, Pump, Res and the whole 9 yards!

I got the top rad mounted. Worked on the loop and changed how the pump and the res connect. Did run the wiring and mounted the SSD. Powered the pump and run a leak test. Enjoy the show:clap:

Top rad in the house:rock:
    [​IMG]

The bottom rad was crying for some action so I said sure pal, why not:lol:
    [​IMG]

Well, the PSU said I got get in the pics, after all I do supply power to you all (pun intended):D
    [​IMG]

The loop that goes from the top rad to bottom rad and then bottom rad to res
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side view with the SSD mounted and you can see the res, pump and wiring:dremel:
    [​IMG]

Sneak peak of the fill port stuff, never drilled a hole for it on the case because I didn't have to;)
    [​IMG]

Bottom side view of the case
    [​IMG]

Middle part of the case:naughty:
    [​IMG]

The GPU,CPU, 24 Pins just had to be seen again. I changed the fittings. I like it this way, it's what I had before the mod began.
    [​IMG]

And the top players :thumb:
    [​IMG]