1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Silly Cyclists

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 30 Oct 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Judging people by their mode of transport is pointless. Whether it's a car, van, motorbike, bicycle or even pedestrians, some people are just ####s.

On the whole though, you're much more likely to die because of an idiot in a car.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I had to get into work early (i.e. when it was still dark) about two weeks ago. It was raining heavily, so visibility was poor. These two cyclists almost caused a damn crash by riding abreast down a dual carriageway.
    What. A. Bell. End.
    Oh, that would piss me right off. I'll be honest, I probably would have braked hard. I've never even thought of hanging onto a vehicle - safety implications aside one of the reasons to cycle is to stay healthy!

P.S.

I managed about 30 seconds of one of his videos before I ragequit. Specifically the one where apparently cyclists don't have to stick to speed limits.

Anyone notice that the more tw@ty cyclists have really annoying voices?

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I like it when your flying down the pavement and an old person panics and does a little dance trying to get out the way.

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

The guys an idiot. Regardless of whether you're on a bike or in a car you don't shout out to other drivers unless you've got at least some chance of backing it up if they turn on you.

Did he think his little camera was going to save him.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Speed limits only apply to vehicles with motors :hip: Although you can be done for cycling dangerously, and quite rightly so!

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Really?

Actually, I'm siding with the almighty Krikkit on this issue.

Red lights are for everyone - obey them, or be a hood ornament!

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Speaking as a pedestrian.. Remember to indicate, whatever it is you are in control of. And zebra and pelican crossings..do please stop once I'm on it. I'm not in a rush to be run over, but hit me on one of those and I'm going to sue the **** out of you.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Yep! Did you read the article or just the headline? Doesn't apply except for random local bylaws and places such as RP (where to be fair, it is signposted quite well as 20mph applying to cyclists as well as motor vehicles)

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We have a cyclist I encounter some mornings on the way to work - the island is criss-crossed with bloody cycle tracks and this tool chooses a main road (which aren't very wide on the IoW) and makes himself as wide as possible. He's doing it to piss motorists off - I've see him riding down the centre line when the traffic is jammed up doing a loud pantomime laugh over and over - clearly needs help.

People like him should be rounded up and tested on.

10. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

open your door as he approach

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Open your door next time he does it.

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Great minds think alike.... :hehe:

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I lost count how many times I was nearly knocked off this summer, even had some guy get out of his car and roll up his sleeves in preparation for a slap round the face.

I was the first in the queue at a roundabout, I was going strait over. Car approaches from behind, attempts to push past, he's indicating to take the turning before mine. I don't let him pass of course, so he tries to overtake me on the roundabout, he's thrashing the **** out if his car in first trying to intimate me. I faulted and decide to dismount rather than get run over.

He gets out of the car leaving 2 small children in the back seat (in the middle of the roundabout). And proceeds to pick a fight with me. Only defused by a conveniently timed police car flashing his lights at us.

Cyclists and motorists are as bad as each other. People need to chill the **** out.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I always try to give cyclists as much room as I possibly can... unless they behave like you do, then I have 2 options:

1. wait behind them until oncoming traffic allows me to give the amount of room I would ordinarily do.

2. Pass any way, acknowledging the fact that the cyclists are being inconsiderate and deliberately making it difficult for me to pass.

Guess which option I take?

How does riding 2 abreast control who passes you?.. furthermore, why would you WANT to control who passes you? Who are you to decide that? A responsible driver or rider will do nothing to hinder the overtaking of another motorist, whether he is right or wrong in deciding to do so... it's incumbent upon the driver overtaking to ensure it's safe, not YOU. If I started blocking the road to those wishing to overtake me, I'd be quickly dealt with, either by the law, or other motorists, and it would serve me right. All you're doing is holding traffic up for no bloody good reason, and you deserve to be treated accordingly.

I'll pass you at whatever speed I'm doing, as close as I need to without actually hitting you.. and it's your fault for riding 2 abreast... and I have no sympathy.

When cyclists ride responsibly, I go to extraordinary lengths to accommodate them, but when they get all bolshy and start their little protests they can just **** off so far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2013
  15. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Often cars don't give enough pass and time to pass one rider. That's why anyone sensible rides a metre out in the road to have oh **** space. This only gets worse when you have two in a line and your cycling fast.

16. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I totally agree with both sides coming from this discussion, there are some nutters on bikes and equal nutters in vehicles.

But today I witnessed the most stupid of all the white van man, it was raining fairly heavy on my ride into work this morning, down a slightly narrow blind lane as its windy and you can never see what is coming, going round the last bend there is a van coming up from behind I could hear him as he was revving the **** out of his van and then he over takes me & my friend on a blind corner & what is coming the other way a Bus, van driver who was going far beyond the sensible speed limit for pissing it down, swirved in front of both of us, my Mate slamed on his brakes my reactions a little slower then him I put mine on slide sideways Through my friend and into the nearby wall van driver then ****ed off up the road while we recovered, If I hadn't of crashed I would of chased that **** up the road for his license plate & some harsh words (with my fist)

17. Pookeyhead

That's no excuse to deliberately block the carriageway for other road users in the assumption that ALL cars are going to do this. There's no excuse here. Deliberately deciding to ride 2 abreast to "control" who passes you is wrong, and indicative of the mindset that gives cyclists a bad name for being evangelistic jerk offs.

I'm a considerate, conscientious driver, who spent 7 years as a fully qualified driving instructor. I drive responsibly, and seeing people do stuff liek this and judging me as a car driver BEFORE I've even done anything wrong boils my pi$$.

[edit]

This is why cyclists need a method of being identified by a number in some way.. just liek cars have to be.. so I can report you for being a dick if you're being a dick.

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Interpret as you will :)

19. Pookeyhead

Whether it's a matter of LAW or not is not the debate here. It's the fact that cyclists decide to do it as some sort of punitive action or protest. That's deliberately obstructing the carriageway for other road users. That's wrong, no matter if you are a cyclist, car driver or horse rider.

It's not the job of the cyclists to control other traffic. It's their responsibility to ensure their presence causes no obstruction to anyone else... just as it is for ALL road users. This is why you can fail a driving test for undue hesitancy or driving too slow.

20. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

It might be the esponsibility of the driver, but if who's going to lose out if it goes wrong? the cyclist could get crushed.

Do you leave your doors unlocked because its peoples responsibility not to rob you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.