1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

You cannot be serious.

Gay means happy- it still does, and explains why it is used to describe homosexuals ( happy and cheerful, excitable types quite often due to being effeminate ); the only thing that has changed is the connotation- being homosexual is often seen as being a 'bad' thing, but the word gay is still used- it has gone from being a positive word to a negative one, regardless of its actual meaning.

Saying that 'brought' can be used in place of 'bought' and still be correct is laughable; they are two entirely different words with totally dissimilar meanings- it is not one word that the meaning of has altered over time due to undue prejudice...

You sir, fail.. :geek:

2. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Just got me one of these :)[​IMG]

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Which part of what I said was untrue?

Neil, you're demonstrating an incomplete understanding of how language evolves, and your clichéd idea of 'standards' is laughably arrogant, as if you've assumed that the 'correct' use of words and grammar at this point in history is the definitive version and that therefore any subsequent changes in the future of mankind is devolution. For what it's worth, a professor of language and communication at the University of Oxford does not take your view.

The point is not that "bought and brought are now officially interchangeable" and that Highland3r was 'right'. The point is that language has, does, and will change and people putting time into insisting there is only one definitive version (which just happens to be the version that those people were taught at school, coincidence, huh?) are wasting their time and everyone else's with misplaced snobbery and narrow-mindedness. The meanings of words are uncontrollably dynamic, as proven by the history of language to date. Insisting they're static is plainly naive.

I don't see how you can discount the possibility that one day bought and brought will have blended one way or the other to become a recognised homonym, and if it is possible, then perhaps it is blending right now, in this new boom of written, electronic communication, where messages are flying out of our devices as fast as we can type them. I think there's a very real possibility that things like their/there/they're; your/you're bought/brought will get simplified to one spelling but still retain their different meanings. Given how often these words are gotten 'wrong' nowadays, how long will it be before dictionaries start acknowledging the 'mistakes' to be informal variants of the 'correct' term?

Change happens, you can move with it, or get left behind.

tl;dr? Tis you doth fail.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread, but it's about time the grammar/language nazis around here start to wind their necks in.

On topic:

[​IMG]

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

this amazing beauty! Never have I been so impressed with a piece of equipment or hardware!
    Fast, light, silent and powerful! Editing raw 60fps 1080p video from a gopro black is a breeze!

[​IMG]

5. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

All the Nexus 5 posts are making me jealous :( How much would I get for a 16GB Nexus 4?

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

£299 (£339 for the 32gb model)

Apparently mine got shipped from the warehouse this afternoon, so might be with me Monday or Tuesday :rock:

7. SuicideNeil

Nope. Brought will never mean the same thing as bought; new words = evolution of language. People changing the meaning of words because they are too illiterate to know the correct one to use is not evolution. Never will be.

See above. Spelling and language structure changes- present spelling is unlikely to evolve in the way you imagine due to standards actually being brought in and maintained, not to mention the leaving behind of old-English versions derived from Latin and Franco-german. Sure, new words get added all the time, but we are not devolving and simplifying language- you imagine such a case purely because of the scumbag classes not being educated enough to string a sentence together correctly. Even in Shakespearean times I imagine it was frowned upon to use incorrect words, because those words had the wrong meaning, but a similar sound...

Irrelevant. Also, you don't seriously expect me to read a 300 page document, just because you are too lazy to pick out relevant snippets that support your argument? You do know that evolution reaches an apex also, right?

It's not about definitive versions, it's about correct meanings at present- even Gay still means happy, but it also means homosexual- the reasons I have already explained and they are piss-poor & unjustifiable at best. The debate is nothing to do with evolving languages by using the wrong words- that is not how a language evolves- that's called being illiterate.

Dictionary people put all sorts of crap in them because some retards use made up words in text messages, that's hardly grounds for saying two totally different words can mean the same thing JUST BECAUSE RETARDS ARE ILLITERATE. Slipping standards =/= evolution of language. If people knew the correct words, and didn't use them incorrectly, would you still be saying they will become interchangeable? No, you wouldn't.

Lol. This isn't change though, is it. This is poor standards in spelling being used as an excuse to try and say it's an evolution of language. That's like using a fork to spread butter ( because no one taught them how to use a knife & fork ) and saying forks are now knives. Get a grip and stop defending people whom need to study harder in English class...

kenco_uk likes this.
  8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The Nexus 4 is still a great phone. Not sure how much you would get for a 16Gb Nexus 4, ebay will be flooded with them at the moment. Probaby around £200??

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I hate to add fuel to the flames, but that's an incorrect usage of whom....:lol:

SuicideNeil likes this.
  10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Dammit! What's with all this wordy b******s and grammar discussion! More materialistic stuff nao!

Some of my latest purchases:

2 of these:
    [​IMG]

Which came with 2 of these free:
    [​IMG]

and a Spotify Premium subscription meaning I can stream my music collection (and any other music available on Spotify) wirelessly around my house :D

11. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Very very nice, so wanted one of those but my supplier has stopped doing HTC and got a S4 instead. That htc looks stunning

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Neil, I really don't see how studying in English will help, we did nothing on spelling and grammar throughout my GCSE.

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Maybe there are people on here who's first language is not English. At least those people make an effort but then the troll's come out in full force and ruin it for some people.

14. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I know, just thought I'd put out that the UK course won't help. :p

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'm supporting you on this one.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Unless someone has just purchased elocution lessons or a dictionary, can we please end this line of discussion in this thread.

Let's keep on topic ladies and gentlemen.

G0UDG likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Loading up will be so much quicker

19. SuicideNeil

Schools these days are rubbish..

[​IMG]

For £23+ postage, ex-display; don't mind if I do...

Also:

and: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom

it's debatable if I'm right or wrong.... :worried:

Last edited: 3 Nov 2013
  20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
    [​IMG]

that's an old school aftershave.