1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Visible Contrast - Updated 18th, Nov 2013 - Completed Photos with Transparent LCD

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 1 Oct 2013.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I’ve got another set of quick little updates here. :)

[​IMG]
    For the back of the case, I have to use a slim fan, due to the window assembly. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a good black and white PWM slim fan that I liked. So I did the next best thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That’s much better :)

[​IMG]
    Next thing, since I removed all the hard drive mounting areas in the case, I picked up this Silverstone 5.25” bay adapter. It fits 2*2.5” drives with 1*3.5” drive. Perfect, since that’s what I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This should work out great.

[​IMG]
    I also soldered together some of my LED strip, to go around the window, lighting up the inside of the case.

[​IMG]
    I’m using a fan connector for the power.

[​IMG]
    I only did 3 sides, as the front is close to the 5.25” bays, and I didn’t want to overpower it with light.

[​IMG]
    Side panel installed with temporary hardware, to make sure it works :)

That’s all for this one, just a few little things to get out of the way. I’ll hopefully have an update again on Monday with more :)

Last edited: 26 Oct 2013
  2. Mosquito

As promised, here’s the more substantial update today.

First up, the big news (for me, anyway)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here’s the quick teaser pic of what it looked up until this point. The black PSU I had just doesn’t do it for me.

[​IMG]
    I’d like to thank NZXT for supplying me with a HALE82 v2 550w PSU in white for this build.

[​IMG]
    The black and white in the PSU will go perfectly with the internals.

[​IMG]
    Oddly sized 135mm fan, but it is pretty quiet from what I’ve been able to determine in use.

[​IMG]
    I’ll be using a few of the flat cables, as they manage pretty well. I also really like them, because it makes mapping out the wires really easy for making custom cables.

[​IMG]
    Can’t wait to get the wires made and get this baby in there.

So, at this point, I knew that the NZXT HALE82 v2 has some double mapped wires for the 24-pin. It’s 28-pin on the PSU, and 23 pin on the motherboard (1 blank, as is often the case). I soldered together some double wires to make sleeving them easier.

[​IMG]
    Here is my starting point for sleeving; my double wire soldered up with a small piece of heatshrink to bring the soldered area back to the size of the insulation.

[​IMG]
    Cut the sleeving to length, so it goes from the connector to the edge of the V on the double wire, and thread it on.

[​IMG]
    Before doing anything else, make sure that you can get the sleeving all the way from the connector to the solder point. Trust me, nothing is more frustrating than getting one end melted on, only to realize you’re short sleeving on the other end.

Then melt the end of the sleeving on the pin, for shrinkless sleeving.

[​IMG]
    At this point, I’ve done the Pin side of both wires. Then I melt the wires by the V enough so I can then press them together.

Repeat for the other side, and melt the sleeving from the single side to the double sleeved side. This is in place of using the super glue like Lutro0 suggests. It melts the sleeve together, so they hold each other in place like normal sleeving does. I then use a small piece of heatshrink to cover it up. I thought I had a picture of this, but I do not. I will include it in a video guide, though.

[​IMG]
    This is the end result of what I was describing above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next I did a little cable sewing. I won’t try to explain this, as I’m not entirely sure how I pulled it off lol

[​IMG]
    I did this with the intention of getting the cable a little more flattened out, since there isn’t much room behind the motherboard tray for cables.

Then, I made and sleeved the 8-pin CPU cable, and got stuff installed.

[​IMG]
    The NZXT PSU in place with sleeved cables.

[​IMG]
    Complimented with a NoiseBlocker intake fan in the floor, the PSU flows well with the black and white contrasting theme.

[​IMG]
    This is what the internals look like currently. The GT640 in this image will be replaced by a 650Ti Boost in the next update.

That’s all for this one. Hopefully next time I’ll be able to get the new GPU painted and installed, and get some final photos after that :)

Once again I’d like to thank NZXT for sponsoring me with the PSU for this build
    [​IMG]

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Turned out Fantastic!!! ....looking forward to seeing it in person sometime :hip:

4. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Came out great Mos! I really liked watching this whole build come together! Grats on the sponsor and I cant wait to see what you do next!:clap:

5. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Congratulations on the sponsorship dude, and great work on those cables :thumb:

6. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

Great work on those cables indeedo. That psu really compliments the build.

7. Mosquito

Thanks Bill. You should get to see it soon enough ;)

Thanks! I'm very happy with the PSU that NZXT sent. It matches so well. Can't wait to get the last few details wrapped up to get this one completed :)

Thanks. I've been doing a lot more cables lately, and I'm learning a few things as I go :lol:

Thanks!

8. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Good job with the sleeves. Keep up the good work:)

9. Mosquito

Thanks. Still making progress :)

10. Mosquito

After my first attempt at painting the GPU shroud went poorly due to the paint being too cold, I stripped it down with mineral spirits, and had a second go in my apartment, where it was warmer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MSI 2GB 650 Ti Boost Twin Frozer.

[​IMG]
    I also made up a custom 6-pin power cable for it, and got it sewn, since it's exposed to the window.

That's all, just a little teaser for now. Should be back soon with some finalized pictures and a video, but I'm flying out for work next week, so they'll be a little delayed, from my "normal" schedule.

Thanks again to NZXT for sponsoring me with the PSU for this build
    [​IMG]

11. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

That paint job just blinded me. Good stuff.

12. Mosquito

Thanks Hero1 :)

13. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Still getting through the first page mate but its a lovely build from what I've seen, will get upto the current last page when I've the chance.

But great job!

Edit: Just seen the "Cable Lacing" a few posts up, nice!

14. mnpctech

Finally go to see Mos' window lcd mod last night... It's insanely cool! :clap:

added to my future mod "to do" list :dremel:

15. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

Really nice work with the window. I also loved the cable sewing idea. :thumb:

16. Mosquito

Thanks! Glad you made it through :) The cable lacing was tedious, but I think it was worth it :thumb:

Thanks Bill! You're such an enabler lol :D :dremel:

Thanks :) It was almost as much a necessity as it was for a look. There was very little room for cables behind the motherboard, so I had to do it there, and just continued on with the GPU cable.

17. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

That GPU.. Awesome work! :)
    Cpu block isnt bad either.

18. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

lookin good Mos!

19. Mosquito

Thanks guys :)

20. mnpctech

True, but it keeps you out of trouble. ...and have a safe flight home! :clap: