1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Captcha test 'cracked' by US firm Vicarious

Discussion in 'Software' started by Snips, 28 Oct 2013.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Read this before and basically, they've got past 90% of Captcha tests (You know the "Prove you aren't a robot" Text boxes on online sign ins) It's AI seems to be able to learn and think like a human.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24710209

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I always thought intelligent written or spoken questions that required common-sense answers would be the best human test.

Then SIRI came along :|

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

When I signed up for the FreeNAS forum trying to get an answer to an issue, one of the questions was "What does NAS stand for". Google can answer that one, some of the users... I'm not so sure about.

Also: http://xkcd.com/810/

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I thought captcha had been circumvented a couple of years ago

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I don't think captcha necessarily have to be unbreakable, they just have to be more trouble than it is worth to crack. They may be eminently crackable from a technical standpoint, but whether this is practical from cost/benefit pov for nefarious types is another question. Advanced AI is expensive and captchas are relatively easy to refine.

It's like putting a decent lock on a bike. It wont stop a determined thief, but it may make your bike a less attractive target than others.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Truth.

It isn't the only defence also. Although others are easier still to circumnavigate.