1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Parvum Systems Project Magnus - 19th April - i51 LAN

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 19 Sep 2013.

?

Which coolant for Magnus?

1. Clear : Clear

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Pastel White : Oil Black

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Translucent Red : Clear

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Ah awesome to see you here mate. Your following of the project means a lot of course! I won't go too much into the bending as it is a personal preference.

Glad you think so. The updates to come will explain much more!

AHha so looks like we have a little crew coming along nicely here :D

As for the GPU and Memory lines they are not parallel due to the GPU being slightly higher but they are running on the same angle so to speak, so do give a parallel effect.

[​IMG]

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Eh I have to disagree on the acrylic bending front, I think it all depends on the situation. Personally I absolutely hate it when people simply stick to using multitudes of fittings. The tubing is so thin and delicate, and then it's ruined by stonking fat fittings that completely remove the elegance. In some situations, fittings are better, and in others bending is better. Just like anything, there's a time and a place for each technique, I think it's pretty poor show for modders to disregard an entire technique (no matter how prestigious you are) without any thought for how it may used within a given context. Blanket statements are not a way forward.

Not to mention I have an increasing issue with the acrylic tubing movement (yes I understand I was part of it too). So many builds simply look the same now, there appears to be single aesthetic that everybody is going for, parallel runs with fittings through plates with the rest hidden. Honestly if you show most of these builds to somebody who who doesn't live on these forums, they'd think they're all designed by the same person.

It's very pretty though, I'm still looking forward to the final result, not a huge fan of the rounded fittings, however, look a bit awkward with the rigid fittings on the ends.

4. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

I didn't mean to gather an army of bending haters all in one place.. lets take there showing up as just big fans of the build and techniques that I use.

I think there is a problem but like anything in this scene; there is always a vogue/flavor of the month/s... everyone likes to try the new techniques.

It wasn't a blanket statement. I know very well other techniques are better in other situations. If i was to do a build for a friend, customer or somebody who wants the extra cooling and other benefits from watercooling I would be far from using acrylic tubing. For example my close friend couldn't know less about watercooling but did want a watercooled Parvum purely for aesthetics. My response was to do a old school loop and felt it looked as good as Project ITX (almost anyway..)

[​IMG]

As for the fittings. I actually had this concern and did worry about it when I first saw them. It was an option forced upon me to support a really good friend that works at XSPC. This build will be fully cooled by XSPC. However maybe it grew on me or in by forcing myself to like it more I am really happy with it now. It almost gives a ball joint look that I'm digging.

Please take this as a quick note. I don't consider myself or any of my friends here as 'prestigious' in any way and I'm glad if nothing else at least this has caused a matter of discussion and debate in the thread. This is a big part of forums after all.

While your here I actually voted for your project in the Intel NUC Competition. Good job, loved it :)

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off quite so harshly. I think I was just worried that as you noticed, a brigade of sorts had formed (all of whom are top notch modders with a lot of influence). The last thing we'd like are for points like that to be taken completely out of context and used by the general crowd to demean those who have used a different technique.

It's happened before with bay reservoirs. They were quite popular for a while, then many discovered a few of the shortcomings (myself included) in the forms of more noise and being harder to drain, fill and bleed. Now when somebody posts a build with a bay res on somewhere like reddit, there's a bit of a mob saying that the build is completely flawed and not worth it, despite a bay res sometimes being the best option.

As for the 'prestigious' comment, I think I should apologise on that front as I worded it pretty badly. What I meant to say was 'prestigious one is' and not 'you' as it was meant in the collective sense. I mean that was quite a list of big modding names in agreement with your point, you're all prestigious modders (and that's not say there aren't others too).

Either way, I guess my post was probably more aimed at those who may be reading this log, although I didn't really show that distinction.

I'm really liking the direction that XSPC's taking with their new products I must say, their recent radiators and reservoirs are top notch indeed. I can fully understand the reason for using the fittings, however, and it's certainly a noble enough cause. I'm just a little curious about the design overall really, I feel the same way about EK and Monsoon with their 'flat end' angled fittings. They look great in some scenarios, but the odd look makes them harder to use generally IMO.

Thank you for the vote by the way, I really appreciate it! The results were so close by the end that for once, every single vote really did matter and make a difference. Also, I sent an email to Parvum the other week, I was wondering if it made it through? I'll PM with some details.

6. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I LOVE IT, LOVE IT! :jawdrop:

7. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

No problem mate, I suppose it is a hard area. Anyone with equipment and experience like ours will certainly influence people and the builds they want to do. I suppose on that note I really do urge people to try and pull really cool straight line cooling. Its just more appealing to me than learning to bend with skill/style.

I actually managed to miss the trolling of bay res', I suppose I've been so dedicated to work the last couple of years I rarely stick my head in many other threads. It's a shame as I love the look and space the fill. I guess I've never used one because we don't provide any drive bays.

Glad you like the XSPC direction. I'm so happy as a close friend to see where they are going. The aesthetics and finish of the products is really top notch and it's nice to have another companies product range to look at when planning a build. Very luck people to have these AX series rads! I would agree for sure, it was a bit of a strange choice. I've ran into a few problems when I wanted to use more than one fitting on another build. They look great alone but odd if you put more than one together. The price point however for such a solid fitting is amazing and they've done really well there.

Glad you did well bud, it was a really awesome design and I'd have one in my front room for sure.

The last few weeks have been horrible as you may have noticed. We lost all three phase power and it really pushed our already behind schedule even further behind. It'd be in your interest to fire the email over again just to be sure. I'm sure its there but better to be safe :D

Well the Noob himself. Glad the extra wait was worth it. Don't worry mate updates will flow now!

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The tubing is straight. It is the mind that bends. :p

9. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

You are all pissed because you cant do it,bending acrylic is perfectly fine.....bloody noobs....

Anyway,traditional tube is,quite frankly,crap. Plasticizer,water permeation and maintenance are not something acrylic tube users even have to think about. Any alternative is to be encouraged. Sometimes performance comes first.

10. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

some next level matrix games ;D

haha I can do everything. Because if I want to bend I just tell you to get here.

As for the second paragraph I stopped reading after 'plasticizer'. I just want it to look pretty and stare at it!

[​IMG]

11. B NEGATIVE

Damn it! :duh:

Im too nice for my own good......:sigh:

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Rads and Fans

Sponsors/Support:
    [​IMG]

WE BACK WE BACK! on time for once :D a small update, but one of many...

ITS PEXON TIME WOO PEXON GO PEXON!!

So long story short, with such demand at work and focusing my time in much needed places (being slapped up if I stay at work too late).. I had to call in reinforcements. Doing this level of work was just not feasible. I suppose that's the great thing about having awesome friends. We've known James of Pexon PCs for some time now and each time we get around to hanging out its great fun. Roll on iSeries...

Moving onto his work of wonders; The job was to do exactly what I showed in one of the earlier posts. Different custom length wires then braided in MDPCX Shade 19. A very fiddly solder job indeed. The points are pretty close together on fans and this isn't helped when the wires are all black.

To make things even harder each fan had to run to a single 3pin header. Basically a daisy chain to allow us to run 16 fans from just 8 fan headers. The controllers being used here has more than enough power to do this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much mate and indeed I owe more than beer!

Next now that the fans are ready it was time to start fitting the radiators. See close ups of these beauties in one of my first posts. Using the XSPC AX series:

[​IMG]

Had to connect the two rads together as they will both be working in the same loop. First try was a male to male and a male to female extenders. Sadly too short by about 5mm. Sad Panda :(

[​IMG]

Considered searching for a differnt length extender but the problem with this build is the black chrome finish. Parts are much fewer than standard chrome finish for example.

Decided to go with a baby piece of acrylic tube. I suppose the extra work was a bit annoying but got the job done:

[​IMG]

Installed 4 fans and two rads and got connected up. Managed to squeeze all 4 cables between two fans which was tight but neat!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Little test fit in the top of the case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SADLY my friends... that is it. I started to fit the next two rads in the bottom of the case but ran into some design complications so have to figure a few things out before the next update.

My only other frustration here is the slight bow that's happening in the roof of the case due to the weight. This wont happen once the side panels are on as they will take all the weight but it's a bit annoying when building. May make a little reinforcement as the side panels wont be cut to the VERY end.

Thanks again for reading.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2013
  13. B NEGATIVE

Erm,those Noiseblockers are push only fella.....

14. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

lol well then the good news is that that top white panel was being recut so they would be reinstalled anyway.

the bad news is that the rad fittings wont fit if I swap it around.

The reason they wont work is due to noise? I seem to see people mentioning a shroud will make these work in pull? However it'll probably just be easier to change the layout slightly.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2013
  15. B NEGATIVE

Its the fan blade clearance issue i think....
    I will ask the fan guys whats up.

16. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Presumably at silly low RPM the noise issue won't be noticeable, with this many fans I can go low. However if performance isn't very good id rather rejig the layout.

I imagine ill probably rejig it regardless then but please report back

17. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Nice job Pexon but get in the beer queue..........i was here before you pal :D

How nice do those fans and rads look against the white chassis :eeek:

18. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

Cheers coolmiester, I don't mind waiting, as long as I get it, I'm happy lol :D

Those fans are amazing, I tested them all out, all 16 and they are incredibly quiet. A little rejig J and you will have those fans running lovely, thats nothing in regards to what you've achieved so far man. Keep up the good work and I am stoked you are happy with the fans.

BTW, those rads are f*****g nice

19. B NEGATIVE

Dont get between this man and his beer....

or Curry.

20. B NEGATIVE