1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Panasonic unveils 20" 4K tablet PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Nov 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Price is crazy but beside that point intresting to see.

4k 20" should be alot cheaper than 30" 4k from what ive been reading from different people.

2hr battery life kills the product though, that and the fact it is 2.4kg thats a heavy lump however way you put it.

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If the Stylus is as good as on a Wacom Cintiq then this unit is a real killer-device for digital painters :)

Here's waiting for some "normal" 23/24" QHD screens with a pricetag below $1500.

3. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

Power consumption does (as you need more backlight for the same brightness with smaller pixels) and this translates to heat. Probably also why the battery life is so poor.

The GPU would not need to work much harder for a 2D desktop (there would be some power increase but probably not a huge amount).

My biggest problem with these high-res screens at the moment is software support, you need to run at higher DPI settings but most software does not really support this (I have an 11" 1080p tablet). Until that happens forking out a lot of money for high dpi screens is a bit silly IMO.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Give me 3840x2400 at 24" and as miserable student as I am, I'll give it a serious considerations. It tell sosmething when you can see the pixel grid of a 320ppi phone...

It can output 4k (much like my old-ass MX440 can push 2048x1536@75Hz), it will just fall flat at running any recent games at native res with decent quality settings. Productivity programs like Photoshop will do fine.

Heat output isn't too much of an issue with LED backlighting, as evidenced by 440+ppi phones like my Xperia Z and 300+ppi tablets like the Nexus 10. Compare that to the 70+W of pure heat my 24" Dells with 9CCFLs each put out... They get past the 60°C mark in this Australian weather (~28°C indoors last I checked, but we reach 50+°C during high summer).

Its not really a mobile use product though, given it's 20" wide... I doubt you can fit that comfortably in first/business class on a plane, let alone a train/bus... Very much a portable desktop/presentation tool, in which case 2hours is perfectly acceptable for a quick show off then repack and mains for extended duration stuff.

See above.

As for hiDPI, well, yes, but then again, general apathy and the complete halt of display development around 2003 (curse you netbooks!) meant nobody bothered making DPI-independent programs on Windows desktop. In Linux scaling works just fine (I had to manually set KDE back to 96dpi mode on my 15" 1920x1200 laptop), as it does on Android, OSX, iOS and Metro.

In short, this is barely upto par with Big Bertha (aka IBM T220/T221) from back in 2001, which required 4 DVI links to work properly at a miserable 41Hz. IPS though...

5. Bobman

Bobman What's a Dremel?

What is the target user of this sort of device?

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

FOX News?

7. leslie

leslie Just me!

I never used my old Penabled Fujitsu tablet long enough with Windows to experience that. I bought it used and immediately ditched Windows XP and installed Linux, Wine, and then Photoshop CS4. While small for someone who does art on a daily basis (12in), for occasional use, it's perfect. Much nicer than using a Bamboo and for not much more money.

I would love to ask those employees how much they hate those screens after a few days.

8. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Architects and marketing people I'm guessing... Artists will stick to their Wacom Cintiqs really damn hard.

I use the pen in my Lenovo X220 Tablet (Sandy Bridge 12.5") all the time if I have to do anything handwritten or draw something out to properly design some library I'm about to write...

Said laptop is dual-boot with Windows and ArchLinux, and the pen works nicely on both, even tough for now the pen only really gets any use in OneNote... Nothing remotely similar in Linux-land....

9. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Car battery in a backpack and I'm ready to go! Love to see the look on the masses with their iPads when you pull this out on the train to play a game/check your mail,....

10. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Oooooooo yer cynical git just cos yer glass is half empty ;^)

11. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

*chuckle*

12. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Gigant-ipad

I would prefer a simple little 37 inch 4k monitor, buy three of them and couple it with 3 Titans from Nvidia.

The current generation ipads are fine for what they do, though they could stand to increase resolution and computing power.

Overall I am quite pleased that 4k is coming, while it will cost me 30,000 euros to replace my Blu-ray collection, it is well worth it!

Most importantly, people will stop seeing "HD" as some sort of standard and maybe game reviewers will stop testing games at horribly low resolutions like 1920x1080.

As far as replacing the cintiq, there is no knowing yet, and if it was a challenge, the fine people at wacom would release their own 4k monster.

Yours in Truly High Resolution Gaming Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

13. ZoomRGS

ZoomRGS What's a Dremel?

I was in a SONY store around my area to experience 4K. It was such a beauty to behold. I was also told by the store attendant that if I was going to buy a 4K TV and need a blu-ray player,it will have to be 4K as well. Does that mean I wouldn't be able to use a standard blu-ray player on a 4K TV?

4K is heavily priced at the moment. Although making more pixels might be an expensive venture but will see a price decline in a few years time when the market gets flooded with different brands. The flat screen will bear witness to the fact that it had the same hefty price tag during its own launch. So I will sit back,relax and wait...........

14. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I was playing with one of these a couple of weeks ago and I just couldn't believe how good the screen is. It certainly seemed to have the power to drive that number of pixels too.
    I'm now quite excited about a "hi-resolution" standard that is actually high resolution.