1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New Here, and some Finished Scratch Builds

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ChromAnomaly, 9 Nov 2013.

1. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to introduce myself and some of my work. I put together my first scratch build case with my dad when I was ~8. It was less about modding then and more about learning my way around a computer, but ever since then I've had a special place in my heart for scratch builds, and especially wood cases.

[​IMG]

I didn't scratch build another case until this past year when raytracing / CG became a bit of an obsession for me. I needed more computing power, and there aren't any cases on the market that hold 3 motherboards :) So I built a flexy rack coffee table and suspended 3 AMD FX8120 systems from threaded rods. The shelves are all 1/2" hardwood, the top has a glass tile inlay, and the sides are all acrylic. Yes, there are 100 reasons why this concept ended up being a terrible idea (ask me about them if you like), but not bad for my first real case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the bad ideas from my coffee table cluster was using AMDs for raytracing. So I decided to build a case to hold a brand new i7. Only problem was that I was running out of space for my computers, so I designed a case that matches the footprint of an old oversized tower (which still houses my primary system). The tower just sits on top of it now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, I've started construction on an extruded aluminum server rack. I'll be posting an actual build log for this guy though, since he's still in progress.

Hope I stuck this post in the right place :D Looking forward to hanging out here.

2. Mr_Cookie1997

Mr_Cookie1997 What's a Dremel?

ChromAnomaly,
    Great Work looks Like Your A Great Modder,
    Would you be able to build me a modded case and i will pay for it.
    Comment Your Skype Or Email And Then I will contact you from their if you want to do it.

3. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

Thanks Mr Cookie, but I don't think I'm the guy you want for this job. I've only been doing this for a year, I don't have equipment yet to do things the right way, and I'm always changing my materials and sourcing so my cost structure for most of this stuff is terrible.

Really though, a mod is about self expression. If you just want a pretty case, you're better off buying one and sticking some light strips in it. There are great commercially available cases out there that are easy enough to dress up a bit.