1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any R290 owners yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 10 Nov 2013.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

how has andy not been banned by now

andy when comparing high end AMD and nVidia cards, just get the titan out of your head

it's not a gaming card <--- repeat that until it sticks

it's a lite workstation card which happens to have geforce drivers as opposed to quadro

in every single thread you say that the 290x craps on the titan in value, no ****, nobody is arguing that point

edit: /ontopic

290/290x. general consensus is still to stay far away until aftermarket coolers are available or if you're watercooling?

Last edited: 12 Nov 2013
  2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm starting to wonder if the complaints regarding the R290 are just overblown but we'll see when I get it.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Have you considered a 780Ti or is the 780 enough?

I was considering an upgrade from my GTX 670 (given the recent price drops and the fact that I could potentially SLI) but I have found nearly no reason to.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

They might be... but to be fair, you seem to get equal performance to the 290x for £100 less... so if you can whack on an aftermarket cooling solution that performs up to snuff, you are laughing.

And if you don't need one, then you are laughing twice as hard for twice as long/

5. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Right lets cut the crap. Put one of these into a 650d overclocked to 1150 and couldn't hear it over the standard fans on a corsair h100. As most people would be gaming with there headset on i cant see the problem. Would i recommend the 290, hell yes its a great card that work within its specs

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Titan was released to the gaming market. You've said yourself it uses Geforce drivers.

Thus at £850 it steps into the gaming bracket, where you can now buy a card (I don't give a fudge who makes it) for £309 that's almost as fast. So whether you like it or not that means it's comparable as basically people will be using it for the same thing.

When it came out it was nearly twice as fast as any other top end card, so they charged nearly twice as much as any top end card. It was purely for willy wavers to go around benchmarking it and showing off their financial prowess (because let's face it, any old Tom Dick or Harry could overclock one it's not exactly rocket science).

Pointless, expensive, over priced extravagance.

AMD come along with their brand new architecture that's pretty much on level peggings and charge half the amount for it straight away. Theirs is almost twice as fast as their own 7970 yet oddly they don't charge twice the amount for it.

Whether the 290 or 290x are hot, loud and guzzle power is neither here nor there. If Titan had munched twice the power of a GTX 680 it wouldn't have mattered because it was almost twice as fast.

As to why I haven't been banned? why haven't you been banned? do I go around calling for people's heads? no. Would I be happy if I was spiteful enough to want to see some one who didn't agree with me banned? no not really.

Maybe it's because at the end of the day there are no reasonable or fair reasons to ban me. Quite often I come armed only with facts and *I* am usually the one on the end of the insults. Did I call two people Nvidiots in this thread? yeah of course I did. However, with a little intelligence one can clearly see I was being sarcastic and displaying some irony given the name calling had already begun.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Want to see some user benchmarks would be intresting to compair to bits own benches.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

wow the 290x is such crap, why would AMD release a card at that price only to release the 290 just weeks later which performs 90% as fast for significantly cheaper

just look at these numbers

[​IMG]

and look at these overclocked results, crazy how AMD is ripping people off. the 290x is a full $50 more than the gtx 780, and the 290 is a crazy $80 more than the gtx 770.

[​IMG]

cherrypicking results is fun and easy! i won't even bring up the 780 ti because it's just so much faster than anything AMD has put out

and then there's the issue of AMD sending out golden samples of the 290x to reviewers, shame on them!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-driver-fix,3666.html

9. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Grown men arguing and bickering over graphics cards.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

The r290 looks like been the price performance king with this current lot of cards. Wether that will show up on sites like this I have no idea. Not seen alot of r290 or r290x in user hands yet.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Just stop by OCUK's forum.

And yes the 290x is a pointless card now.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Actual ages aside, this sentiment is questionable.

13. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I was trying to be diplomatic.

14. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

some of the comments here are making me question my pre-order of a 290x at £388 :/

15. Shirty

Some of the comments here are making me question my continued membership of the human race.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You mean patronising.

Sheiken likes this.
  17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

*searches for the 'invoke common sense' button*

18. Shirty

We all have out thought and opinions about these things, I just wish we could express them and debate with each other without resorting to playground name calling and bickering like ignominious pricks.

As a borderline geek who is seriously considering becoming a "not geek" it's crap like this that's going to drive me over to the other side. Seriously, it's going on in nearly every thread that mentions a GPU in the past two weeks.

19. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Shirty where is that smashing pic of you gone

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes. Agreed. There is a pattern.....