1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One The Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkiller42, 21 May 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Think ignoring fan boys who want 1 console to fail, No one wants to see the issues microsoft suffered this time around. RROD should never of happened and the fact it did was a big problem really.

Personally think Microsoft have gone too entertainment heavy instead of just fixing us a game console. Outside of USA alot of those features will not be working either.

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

It's a myth that consoles are cheaper.
    Everyone needs/already has a PC nowadays, so just with the investment in a better graphics card you already have a very capable gaming machine.

Console fans seem to think for some reason that you have to buy a completely separate PC just for gaming, but the cost of making a PC that can also play recent games at decent quality is much lower than buying a "regular" PC that you need anyway + one of the new consoles for gaming.

Console games are also ridiculously expensive and stay expensive, while PC games get dirt cheap after just a few months (and that's just the AAA games, less "popular" games are already super cheap in the first place).

I'm not saying that consoles < PC in every way; for playing games comfortably in your couch or local multiplayer on a big screen they're the best by a mile, but the "cost argument" does not make sense IMO, even though it gets repeated everywhere.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And consoles pay $10/€10 or more for every game. And with console, you need a secondary tablet/laptop for non-gaming non-media stuff.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Correct (Pliqu3011 and faugusztin), plus, not only PC games are cheaper, that is also ignoring the fact that nearly all games goes on special.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No, I totally disagree. A console is a fixed price (which does decline with time, so towards the end of a generation they are cheap), and that price is less than your average off-the-shelf desktop PC. Many many people also have a cheap laptop as their only computer, and that certainly isn't something you can just throw a new graphics card in.

For most people a console is a relatively cheap and more importantly, easy, way in to playing games. There's no need to learn about how to install a compatible GPU in to your old Dell desktop, nor is there a need to work out things such as optimising game settings to achieve a good fps rate. Buying a "gaming PC", even using Bit-Tech's guide as an example, is around £500 for an entry machine without including the monitor and accessories. Even if a console game is £10 more expensive per go, that's 15+ games of difference (A £350 PlayStation 4 to a £500 PC box sans monitor etc) - and the second hand market on the high street for console games is huge, whereas the PC second hand market is deader than a dodo due to Steam etc.

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I like my PC and I like my consoles - both have their place - I kind of like just putting a disk in and knowing that it will play without having to muck around with settings. I am perfectly capable of mucking around with settings, but sometimes I just can't be bothered!

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Except the cases when disk is scratched, or the game needs day one patch, or the game needs day one console patch, or... :rolleyes:

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I take your point but I have have only ever had one scratched disk and that was a PC game and the patches are no bother except maybe on the PS3 where they do make a bit of a drama out of it.

It's not a case of me saying one is better than the other - they scratch different itches 'tis all.

9. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Reviews for certain games (Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Powerstar Golf, Crimson Dragon, Lococycle) are starting to filter through at various sites (sorry for no links at work on the phone) but they're a very usual meh bunch of games thankfully the one review of DR3 I've had a chance to skim through doesn't seem to mention any performance issues so that's good but I'll get a better picture after work.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Reviews do seem to be about the same "level" of the PS4 games - namely a bunch of low scores (4/10 etc) and then a handful at 7/10 and one title as a standout. Metacritics currently standing at:

LocoCycle - 53
    Crimson Dragon -56
    Dead Rising 3 - 78
    Zoo Tycoon - 73
    Killer Instinct - 74

Interestingly the cross-platform Need for Speed: Rivals has scored 9/10 from Eurogamer, making it the best game in the launch line up for both consoles.

11. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

[​IMG]

So telling my business partner he's on his own tomorrow!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

We need some updates on peoples thoughts when they get a chance to try there new XBOX out, i would like a new console but simply don't have the money yet

13. TrevDX

This could be a long one....

First impressions are that the machine and the OS are very nice. It all works very well and navigating the OS is a breeze especially with voice controls, which brings me to kinect.

KINECT 2.0

Massive improvement over the first kinect. Still wouldn't use it for persistent gaming but if you can get over the feeling of being a prat whilst taking to the black box then it makes the OS fly compared to using a pad, however it's still not bulletproof and works maybe 75% of the time if you remember to take it very robotic like to issue the commands.

GAMES

So far I've managed to play CoD:Ghosts, Ryse and Dead Rising 3. Installs generally for me seemed fine although I had to get over 50% of CoD installed before starting and that took about 30 minutes.

CoD is CoD and I don't need to say anymore than it's prettier and that's about it. But it's still not earth shattering and I wouldn't blame a casual to not even notice without some outside influence saying look the shadows look sharper or there's more particle effects.

Dead Rising 3 only managed about an hour. Good fun will happily go and try to do as much as I can and seemed good with friends too.

Where to start with Ryse.... Definitely the best game graphically I've played today. Looks stunning most of the time, I did have quite a serious issue of things not loading correctly at the start of one of the levels which if it was grass textures or similar wouldn't be too bad but when it's a roman ship with crew is quite noticeable. Overall I'm concerned that even with the unlock trees this will still turn into something that may be quite repetitive by the time you get to the end. Still I think it's got a good base just the reviews have for the most part been pretty accurate.

SET-UP, OPTIONS

As for updates installs and the like. To set up, install the updates and ensure kinect is set up correctly took approximately 30 minutes. Not too bad considering I remember setting up a Wii U and waiting for 2 hours or so for that to update!

It feels like the (lack of) options in the OS for sound, chat you know basic options is annoying. I use a set of Astro A40's for my 360 and whilst I knew the lead to use them for voice chat was going to be early 2014 due to one thing or the other with Microsoft the fact that there is no Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 encoding on the One and it just operates in either Stereo or Dolby DTS through the optical out is crap. Yes they have said it will be in an update but how long will that take and also it goes against a statement that Astro made saying that all their headsets will work fine with the One out of the box.

Also there is no independent volume for chat nor can you choose the output of Headset, Speakers, Both for chat. These might be small but they were in the 360 so how hard can it be to get those in.

I don't like the lack of a file manager. Especially with a 500gb HDD and installs of 20-50gb for alot of games. The game saves are now, I think, all saved on the cloud although whether there is a copy of the save in local files for offline I don't know but I assume there is. The system now decides that when you are out of space on the available HDD that it will delete the game or files that you haven't touched for the longest apparently with no warning. It won't touch game saves but I'm struggling to accept that this is a 100% viable solution to HDD management.

CONTROLLER & BOX ITSELF

And lastly the box and controller. After spending 11 hours today with the controller it's not as immediately great as the original 360 pad. To me the bumpers (or L1 and R1 for PS players) are slightly in the wrong place to be able to use them as I do with a 360 pad in that I have the tips of my index fingers on the triggers then use the inner knuckle to use the bumpers. On the new pad the fingers just slip off. Also I need to get a stick extension for the right stick as even though they are slightly taller than 360 sticks I've got used to the right stick being taller than the left stick (the sticks are slightly smaller than the 360 sticks too which means I can't re-use old extenders).

The box looks like it was built to last in the 80's nice finish but more importantly for people about to put them in the entertainment racks they will just blend.

Unfortunately thee interior seems to be of the same standard as the original 360's as my blu ray drive has failed and my unit of 11 hours use needs to be replaced :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :(

This concerns me more than RROD as this just seems like shoddy parts rather than (a costly) oversight on the cooling front by Microsoft with the 360 and it could happen at any time as mine wasn't DOA just went after use.

Oh the joys and risks involved of buying at launch.

14. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

And now it hits 1M already? wow, and it still counting eh..

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Failure after 12 hrs is bad for 2 reasons mainly because you won't get a console to replace it with as they are all sold out. Also shows there might be a problem.

Its a nice review you have made though well thought out.

Personally expected them to break 2 mil in 24 hrs not 1 mil but thats me.

16. TrevDX

And it's living again :D Don't know how much longer for but I'll wait and see if it's a more permanent issue or just the case of me "overusing" the drive (well installing 3 games in a day).

17. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Wow I am really shocked to see hardly any one commenting on the Xbox One thread.

Is this a case where people are just not posting or that people have not purchased?

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you want a XBox One, get one. You don't need public support in order to get one.
    I received for Christmas an WiiU, and I have a blast with it. Last time I had so much fun was with StarCraft 2, then before that with TF2, then the Wii, and before that Half life 2 and it's episode later on. The rest are just fun, not crazy fun.

So I've got a WiiU, and I think it's awesome. Clearly I am one of the few, but I don't care.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Its a case where this is not a fanboy forum where one console is so much better or correct than another.

If you want one buy one, Ill own all 3 by mid development cycle.

All 3 Consoles to some extent lack games that id want to play thats what is holding alot of buyers off at the moment. The cost of the new consoles is not helping alot either at a time when alot of people can think of a better usage for the money they cost as well.

20. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I got the Wii U that Flame969 was selling and I'm loving it so far. There's nothing about the Xbox or PS4 that interest me, their major titles don't offer me an experience I can't get on PC so I won't bother for now. Mario 3D World is keeping me busy enough :D