1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD teases 12GB 'supercomputing' graphics card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Nov 2013.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Don't worry, Spam*Dagger is basically a professional troll in his (thankfully) brief appearances here :D

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

As previously said above: nopes.

An scrypt crypto currency however... That would be interesting to see this card compute...

3. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

And now I have a case mod idea!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've actually got one of those. No, really: my Research Machines Ltd. 380Z. The 'ignition' is a key-based power switch, located in the bottom-right - as shown on my mate Andy's Flickr feed. Keys on computers were actually really common, although they were more often used as lock-outs to disable the keyboard - or, prior to that, the front panel - than as power switches.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2013
  5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

That is one gorgeous machine ! My missus would kill me if I had that kind of stuff at home. I'm more and more tempted to build an ARM based daily use computer. X86 architecture is really boring. I have on my short list

• Odroid-XU
    • Adapteva parallella
    • Udoo
    • Wandboard

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I personally own the Odroid-U2, and while it's an amazing device that performs superbly, you might not want to use it (or the XU) as a daily PC. Android makes a terrible PC OS, and I'm not sure if Windows RT works on the odroid products. So that leaves linux (which is fine - linux is, IMO, the best OS for ARM), but the issue is GPU drivers - they're a pain to set up and even if you get them to work, you're restricted to what desktop environment will actually take advantage of them. So far (to my knowledge), you're limited to Unity, GNOME 3, and KDE 4. Personally, I haven't tried any of those on my odroid-U2 so I'm not sure what it takes to get them to work. The XU in particular won't really be worth getting unless you can take advantage of the big.LITTLE architecture, which most PC users can't.

But, I would love to be proven wrong. I haven't messed with big.LITTLE or OMAP5 (which is a similar idea to big.LITTLE) and I haven't bothered with the U2's GPU drivers in nearly a year. Depending on how much you're willing to spend, I think the Arndale would make a great ARM PC. I think it will still have the GPU problem but it's a lot more practical as a PC overall.

7. GuilleAcoustic

I've read about the GPU issue. The idea is to use it as a linux dev platform, as well as general purpose.

The gpu issue is that Linux mostly use openGL, while those gpu are openGL ES based. Maybe a Tegra4 dev board would be better.

The Linux video I saw abour the XU look promising, but there's no info regarding the headache to have it working (except restless nights)

8. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

After years of waiting I still get it wrong!

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

You're right, but Unity (with compiz), GNOME 3, and KDE all support GLES, though it isn't as simple and straight forward as just installing something like KDE and hope it will magically know when to use GLES - you have to tell it to use it. Tegra4 would probably be the easiest solution, besides, I get the impression Tegra4 isn't nearly as power efficient so it makes for a good PC plugged into a wall. Also, any Freescale based chip should have good linux GPU support.

I'm sure the XU works fine with linux, the problem is utilizing the A7 cores.

10. GuilleAcoustic

Don't worry, I often mispell it too :D

@ schmidtbag: i.MX6 quad core seams to have well supported GPUs.