1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Porsche designs another posh BlackBerry, the P'9982

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 19 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

My issue with these "premium" phones isn't the pricing itself (people can spend what they like, better than hoarding it) but that they're not really any better than a normal phone. There are several phones already (most notably the iPhone) that are made from milled chunks of metal. Others take it further and are fully formed (like that HTC one I can't remember the name of). What makes this one special really? I mean by the specs it sounds like a good phone, but it doesn't seem any more premium than say an iPhone 5s, and actually the pricing isn't all that far from the 64GB version either.

Those Vertu things were even worse. I knew somebody who got one, it's just a normal phone (not even an interesting one) covered in precious metals and stones. I don't mind paying extra for a statement piece, sure you lose all concept of value for money, but a beautiful bit of design can be really appreciated. The problem is that there isn't really anything interesting, it doesn't offer something more.

3. Weebob

Weebob What's a Dremel?

Just seems a odd thing for blackberry to do. Been on the ropes for a while, don't see this attaching many new buyers.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Maki role, people have been paying for style over substance for years.
    There is no accounting for people who like a load bling :D

5. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

Yay go BlackBerry! Mostly for publicity and to show off, plus there are lots of rich executives who are in that target market. I have a z10 and love it. Despite the doom and gloom hovering around BlackBerry has a great on with BB10 and nice, effective hardware.

6. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

* BlackBerry has a great OS with BB10...
    Edit

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

No that's my point, I'm quite happy to pay for style. It's just that most of the time, I'm stunned by how so many of these products simply lack style. I mean it's a bit like buying a diamond encrusted Rolex versus say a 3-axis tourbillon Vacheron Constantin or Patek Philippe. I know that this kind of thing is very subjective, but it's not as if people don't go "wow" when they see the real deal either.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Or a Frank Muller Thunderbolt Tourbillion *drool*.

Tags: Add Tags