1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Gaming Headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris182, 19 Nov 2013.

1. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

Can anyone recommend me a good gaming headset?

No real requirements. Budget is under £100 but I am flexible if someone can offer me a compelling argument!

Thanks!!

2. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Looking for hackworthy positional audio or just general rave sound?

4. chris182

Well let's just say if I had the money I'd be getting the headset you have...

So sound quality over any fancy surround sound features

Stormbringer, nice headset, certainly worth considering. Thanks!

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Well "hackworthy positional audio" doesn't equate to surround sound features (I am a strong believer that binaural is the best in any situation), but anyway if you want the best bang for your money I would strongly suggest quality headphones and a separate mic. Is that an option at all or do you definitely want a headset?

To make the point, the PC360 headphones cost about £160 new because they have a mic, whilst the quality of the audio itself is on the level of the Sennheiser HD555 (which used to be around £70 before Sennheiser started unnaturally inflating UK prices) or slightly better.

Quality headphones will make your music sound much better too.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I agree but would recommend a pair of AKGs

7. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

8. chris182

That's an interesting thought. Not one that I'd really considered up to now, I've got some spare shure mics lying around (might even have a wireless lav somewhere)!

Certainly worth considering!

AKGs have been on my list for some time. I'll give them a more thorough look!

Thanks all!

9. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I've just got a corsair vengeance 2100 headset.
    £119 from scan delivered.
    Wireless with no charge or lag issues
    Very comfy
    Good mic quality
    Very good Dolby surround 5.1 or 7.1
    Built in sound card, so not faffing with wire's when you want to go back to your speakers.

10. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Akg 550?

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

AKG 271 II just a tad over budget, but well worth it. Not only a great set of can but they do not need an amp and have a replaceable cord which really helps the longevity. I have had mine for about a year and rolled over the cord countless times and it still holding in there. Sounds great and is the closest thing you can get to actual positional audio. I find them much better then my Logitech 930 which is one of the very few actual 5.1 headsets (they have multi speakers build in)

12. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Solid choice for music, but not the best if you are specifically after positional audio. I'm pretty sure they need (or at least react very well to) a good headphone amp to get the best out of them? Not that that matters for gaming though. The cheaper AKG's are basically not what you want for gaming/positional audio, if you want to go AKG you would need to spend far more - but if you do then the AKG K701 and above are one of the best.

For your budget, something like a Sennheiser HD558 is better suited than the K271 II's at a similar price point. Try and find it on sale or go used to get it under £100. Or Audio Technica AD700 which is very light on bass but with a massive soundstage (i.e. positioning prowess) and amazing clarity (well suited for FPS games) although it is hard to find in the UK for under £100 even though its regularly under $80 in the states. If you can find one, a HD555 is probably the cheapest I would recommend and a very decent choice.

Bear in mind these are all open headphones, whilst the K271 is closed. Generally speaking, open means better soundstage/positioning whilst closed means better bass (and better sound isolation so others can't hear your gunshots booming etc). Generally speaking.

Edit: Actually the cheapest I would recommend is the Superlux HD668/Samson SR850 (which are the same headphone). These are very cheap (around £30) but perform far better than the price suggests. Have a look out for reviews to see what I mean. Quite good for gaming as well, not at AD700 or HD558 level but trades blows with the HD555.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2013
  13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Mostly correct except that positional Audio is only more precise positional audio you can get is with a Headset that uses multiple speakers and seeing as I have both HiFi and 5.1 Headset. I can honestly say for my hearing I am far better at judging position in audio over the 2.0/HiFi Headphones then the real 5.1 G 930.

While hearing is a highly personal experience I would like to know if you have tried both highend Headphones and REAL 5.1 Headsets Hamaza_tm and if not which reviews are you referring to?

As far as I am aware there there are extremely few 5.1 headsets and even fewer that are higher quality then the Logitech G 930.

Please do provide info if this is wrong as I am interested in extending my knowledge, hence linking reviews and such would be great, cheers.

(not saying the AKGs are the best to get for hifi Headphones either just the ones I have had the best personal experience with especially at this price)

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Sorry let me clarify I think you misunderstood, firstly I'm not saying 5.1 headsets are the best for positional audio. Binaural (2.0) all the way!

In the post above I was talking about 2.0 low-end AKG headphones being nowhere near as good as 2.0 headphones from other brands at the same price point, in terms of positioning. I presume you haven't tried other well-known gaming cans such as the AD700, DT770, HD555/595/558/598 etc? That isn't to say AKG as a brand isn't good in that department, because the AKG K701/K702 and Q701 are all absolutely fantastic in terms of positioning, but at a much higher price point.

I have a lot of experience in 2.0 positional audio headphones, I've bought and used many from Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio Technica, Klipsch and even lesser known brands such as Creative (the well-loved CAL!s actually), Samson, Superlux etc, and done countless hours of research besides that. I was very into positional audio for FPS games at one point :)

I haven't tried any great 5.1 headsets nor do I care to try them nor am I bothered about arguing for/against their positioning power. I read a ton of opinions about them and as a consensus I am pretty much certain they are not as good as 2.0 headphones.