1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project THINKTANK - Finished [High Res Photos] 18th April: Post #45

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GamerIDGoesHere, 25 May 2013.

1. GamerIDGoesHere

GamerIDGoesHere www.^.com

Working Up!

So this week I cut out 2 of the side pieces (1 for either side) and so this is what I have.

This is an idea of what it will look like from the back

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the front without the front piece

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the sort of depth of the front

[​IMG]

This is the front with the front piece on

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the front piece

[​IMG]

This is a side shot

[​IMG]

And the other side

[​IMG]

So that's all for this week and I'm busy next week, so unless something pops up, there won't be an update till the Wednesday after next.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Apr 2014
  2. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

wow love the concept, keep us updated!

3. GamerIDGoesHere

Calm before the Storm...

Ok UPDATE!
    So next week I will be busy again but after that I will have a lot of updates being done in a short span of time.

Here you can see 4 more side pieces have been glued on (2 on each side)

[​IMG]

You can see the new ones at a better angle here

[​IMG]

Here you can see that this one needs to be replaced and re-glued because it didn't stay in place properly and also it isn't quite the right width

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the bottom and you can get an idea for how that will look and where the radiator and PSU will go

[​IMG]

So that's all for this week and as I said, I'm busy next week again, but after that, it should be all good to go to do some serious work and hopefully get the case mostly finished and home within the next 4-5 weeks, then the fun and pain starts with watercooling and cable management. :)

[​IMG]

4. GamerIDGoesHere

Multiple Updates (Case and Parts)

Okay! So here is an update and the case is nearly finished :rock:

Also, I have purchased a 3rd graphics card which is scheduled to arrive on the 1st of October. :clap:

On to the case for this update though,
    Here is a picture of another side panel after being glued on

[​IMG]

This shows the "neck" pieces being taped in place to hold them together while gluing.

[​IMG]

This is a picture looking in on the bottom through the power supply hole

[​IMG]

This shows the case after gluing 2 more side panels on.

[​IMG]

This picture is not the greatest because of the glare but it shows the 2 new panels on the side. The right side is now complete! (This picture is from the back and the left side will be different to the right)

[​IMG]

Thats all for this week, hopefully I should be able to get an update out next week finishing off the panels, and the 3rd 680 will arrive on Tuesday. Then the week after I should be able to finish off the case (with standoffs and touchups etc.). After that begins part 2 of the project, watercooling :)

[​IMG]

5. GamerIDGoesHere

The Cake

So I got my 3rd 680 2 weeks ago, buuuuuut I couldnt be bothered and didnt really think it was too interesting to have as its own update

So heres a picture of the 3 together.

[​IMG]

And I also bought some more watercooling things to help cool the 3rd 680 and to work as an outtake at the top, because warm air rises.

So I bought a dual 140mm radiator (same as the quad I already had bought) and 2 Swiftech fans

[​IMG]

Here are the 2 new extensions for the 3rd card, along with 2 SLI connectors and 3 pairs of black quick disconnects.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of one pair of the quick disconnects, I think they look really nice. (I bought 3 because 2 are going to be for the GPU's because its quite likely I'll upgrade them in the future.
    The 3rd one will probably be at the top of the reservoir to easily fill it (I already have a 4th to drain the loop at the back of the case).

[​IMG]

Thats all for today, most likely there will be a case update tomorrow, and their should be some good progress on that hopefully. :lol:

[​IMG]

6. GamerIDGoesHere

This project log is irregular

So I thought I would post an update, seeing as I FINALLY got to do something after some 2 weeks of busy-ness.

Here you can see the fan grill holes on the top piece of the case have been cut out

[​IMG]

Here you can see the case with the roof balancing on top so as to get a feel for what it will look like inside when done.

[​IMG]

Here the back IO panel hole has been cut out for my motherboard tray. (This image was taken on its side)

[​IMG]

Now all there is left to do is fix up some misaligned edges, drill the screw holes for the radiator grills, and screw in the motherboard plate to the side and middle of the case. Then, hopefully I can finally begin watercooling. :clap::rock::clap:

[​IMG]

7. GamerIDGoesHere

Nearly there...

Update!

So I didnt get too much done this week but still got closer to being finished on the case :clap:

Here you can see the back IO panel with screws in it (its a bad quality photo I know and the case looks a bit dirty).

[​IMG]

Here you can see most of the case assembled without the paper covering on it (shinnnnyyyy :O)

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see the I/O Plate mostly screwed on (The plate is slightly bent unfortunately but that shouldn't be a problem). Above the PCIe slots, the screws cross over too much so I might have to glue them on so I can unscrew and rescrew the graphics cards easily :sigh:.

[​IMG]

These are all the screws and case feet I need just to put the case together :duh:.

[​IMG]

That's all for this week, hopefully I should be done on the case by next week or the week after. Then finally I'll be able to start some much needed watercooling. :D

[​IMG]

8. GamerIDGoesHere

Almost There...

Ok, so today a lot got done yay! :clap:. So the case is now almost complete

Here you can see the bottom quad radiator grill screwed on.

[​IMG]

Here you can see one of the 8 case feet screwed on to the bottom

[​IMG]

Here is a view of the case with the motherboard plate holding the side on with screws

[​IMG]

Here you can see the side panel being clamped and glued to the other parts of the case.

[​IMG]

This shows the case with the side glued on and the top sitting on top.

[​IMG]

And finally, here is the case with the top glued on to the rest, with the top grill screwed in place.

[​IMG]

So now, the case is pretty much done, just need to get the front and back panels in place and screwed on, and then on to part 2 of the build :thumb:

[​IMG]

9. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

looks really unique and interesting dude. gonna look schweet with the glowing green contrasting the black plexi! Subbed for updates! :)

10. GamerIDGoesHere

So close but not quite :(

Thanks WaRn00b!

Now, Update time

The case nearly got finished, just need to get the panels to fit in properly and add mounting screws for them, which should almost DEFINITELY be done by next week. :grr:

Anyway... Here is the slit on one side for the back panel to fit into (theres one on the front too)

[​IMG]

Here is the top after being glued from last week (The case is on its side)

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the bottom after all of the progress from the last couple of weeks

[​IMG]

Ok, so unfortunately that was all that got done :duh:, but, all going according to plan, it'll be done before next week. :clap: Also, side note: if anyone knows of a place to get nice black case thumb screws that ship to Australia pretty quickly, please do tell.

[​IMG]

11. thogil

thogil What's a Dremel?

Is the title supposed to be "モッズボット", opposed to something like "モッドボット" or "MODボット"? Unless its a robot from the 60s who rides a scooter with lots of mirrors.

12. GamerIDGoesHere

Right yes sorry :duh:, not entirely sure what happened there...

13. GamerIDGoesHere

Case closed!

So... the case is done!!!!!

Here is a picture of the front (I'm about to buy black thumb screws)

[​IMG]

Here is one of the tapped acrylic pieces that the thumb screws screw into.

[​IMG]

Here is the support for the CD/DVD drive at the back.

[​IMG]

Ok, so now the case is finally done :clap::clap::clap::clap:, I'll be on to watercooling. Unfortunately I have to wait for my new desk to arrive :wallbash:(should be about 1-2 weeks). Also, the picture quality should go up now because I'll be using a DSLR instead of my phone.
    So until next update :).

[​IMG]

14. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Love it :D

GamerIDGoesHere likes this.
  15. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

Very nice! Can't wait for the bits to start going in.

GamerIDGoesHere likes this.
  16. GamerIDGoesHere

Thank you very much guys :). It's really great to see that i've caught the interests of some really great modders :dremel:.

17. GamerIDGoesHere

Click for high res photos and other things

Ok, so from now on, I'll probably be posting high resolution photos so that you can see every last detail ;). Also, this update was meant to be posted at 5pm AEST, but I got a bit sidetracked :lol:

Brief update! I decide to start putting things I'm not using into the case, to fill up space, and to save a bit of time later :).

So I got the case home and took a picture and well, see for yourself

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the bottom of the case with the fans attached.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the fans attached to the bottom, but as you can (or rather cant) see the screws aren't long enough to go into the radiator, so I've ordered longer ones that should be here in the next few days (they're difficult to get from hardware shops because in Australia we use metric as opposed to imperial measurements).

[​IMG]

Here is a random shot of the motherboard tray and cable holes that I thought looked nice.

[​IMG]

Ahh, now, this became a problem. I had to pull out the cables that I bought with the latching switch in order to attach the switch to the case, unfortunately they were almost glued on and one cable sort of, well, broke. So I had to order another cable (and switch because it broke that too) from frozencpu.

[​IMG]

This shows the other end of the cable where it was attached along with the others.

[​IMG]

And a final picture, which is of the back panel's DVD drive and the power and reset switches (they look like scratch marks around them but the case is just still a bit dirty).

[​IMG]

So there you are! Case update and things, now in 4K (just click the photos from this post onwards) :D. Next update should be probably Thursday or Friday, when I get the screws to put the rads and fans on properly.

[​IMG]

18. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

I would think that cable break is reparable - can you strip/melt the covering layer from the pin? Can't hurt to try as you've ordered a replacement anyway.

19. GamerIDGoesHere

Smallish update!

Maybe, we'll see, thanks for the suggestion though!

Before I start, just want to remind people that you can click the images now and they will take you to a 4k resolution image if you need to see more detail.

So my screws arrived to attach the radiator and fans to the bottom of the case.

[​IMG]

This is a photo I took after installing the radiator that I thought looked nice.

[​IMG]

Here you can see I've installed the top radiator and fans :)

[​IMG]

I attempted to attach the Phobya LED strips to the top of the case, but they keep sagging :wallbash: gonna have to find another way of attaching them or get some stronger double sided tape then what they come with.

[​IMG]

Oh, and my thumbscrews arrived, so now they dont have slits for screwdrivers and are black :)

[​IMG]

Ok, thats it for this week, I'll keep posting updates as I get things to do.

[​IMG]

20. r104_for

r104_for What's a Dremel?

Tags: