1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

I must be the only one who wouldn't be bothered to see the back of Di Resta, then!

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I'm not really bothered either tbh. in 3 years he's failed to really make a name for himself, maybe its been the car, but I can't remember a race where I've thought he's out driven the car!

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Plenty of drivers I would rather see gone, then Di Resta

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I think PdR needs to go do Sports Cars, he reminds me a bit of Allan McNish in that he's reasonably quick and reliable, but seems to lack the out and out aggression required for F1. Even 'nice' drivers like Jenson Button will (and have) put people in the wall if that's what it takes to win, I don't really see PdR doing that.

But by the same token, being fast and reliable but not overly aggressive is perfect for Sports Cars, just look ta Allan McNish, WEC champion last weekend!

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. But... I'd rather see the back of Jenson than PDR tbh. Part of me feels that after 12 years in F1, and as nice as he is, Jens needs to free the seat.

Also, after last weekend, someone please tell me why no one has had a word with Charlie to kick out Chilton?? Daddy may have mega bucks but he makes Taki Inoue look fast.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well Marussia aren't exactly falling over themselves to keep him... Chilton seems to be their 'if we can't get anyone else' option... [admittedly some reading between lines on my part]

[source]

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh nice! :thumb:

EDIT: It's probably a ploy to get more money out of his dad.

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Sad to hear about the Hulk not getting a ride at Lotus next season. It seemed like him and Grosjean would make a good team.

Traveled to Austin to see my first USGP in person and had a blast. Got to meet a couple of drivers (past and present), and snuck out onto the track the night before practice. Photos/video don't do turn 1 justice.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Personally think like others he has not done enough to deserve his spot. Hes never had a good second half of the season. Wether thats all the car or not is for another story.

I also dont remember alot of memorable drives. Most of his high place finishes are 1 stop tire stratagies that worked out for him cause the car was easy on its tires. If he had to race the car which he would have to do at the higher rated teams then I wonder how he would fair.

I dont care either way if hes here or not though, Dout he will get a drive lower down the field so if he does not get a Force India Drive hes out of the field is the way I see it.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, if he's out of Force India, he's out of F1. The way the majority of teams are gravitating towards pay drivers, it won't be many years before it's impossible to get a drive without having access to a billionaire's cheque book.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

It sounds like something I had done the last time I went to the dentist.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

He'd be good in sports cars.

But that doesn't explain why he was so good in DTM, which does require aggression as well as raw speed?

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

DTM is pretty close to GT3/GT500 in it's rules and the races are long by touring car standards, there's quite a big overlap between DTM and sports car drrivers.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

There is a lot of overlap, yes. But actually, as far as the cars are to drive and the way they're designed, they're actually more similar to F1 than any other class of racing. The body panels on top are just to make them look like a C63, M3 or RS5... the chassis development is very similar to an F1 car (although with a different engine layout).

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Actually, being realistic, the only thing that's different to most we'd/gt3 cars is the carbon tub, but now there's the Mclaren MP4 GT3 with one now.

I'm not a fan of PdR, too much of a middle-roader to me.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

My problem with PDR is his attitude, The things he says in the press and the blaming of his team whilst refusing to accept responsibility for his own mistakes.

If he kept his mouth shut id have no problem with him in formula 1.

Personally think his constant blaming of Force India ( who have paid him for 3 years to drive for them despite him constantly looking for a new team ) will cost him his place in Formula 1. Loyalty has a place in F1 and he has not shown it.

To think last year he was touted for McLaren now he is looking at the exit door. ( personally did not think he would get the drive anyway)

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nobody cared about last weekend's race then?

I haven't even watched the race yet - just Quali - and the entire feeling among the commentary and pack is deflation. Even on Twitter this morning I saw next to nothing about it, only "Bye Mark, Bye V8s". Just goes to show how people just wanted this season to end but not a lot want next season to start..

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It was Interlagos - usual DRS passes on the back straight and the start/finish straight, with lunges down the inside into turn one and occasional passes around the outside at turns six and seven.

Other than the end of an era stuff (V8s, Mark and Massa), it was a so-so race IMO. Nice to see the McLarens well into the points for a change - both of them made pretty short work of the lower and midfield cars, but it was clear that they were not going to challenge for a podium.

A non-event for Lotus - so much for challenging Ferrari for 3rd in the WCC. Domenicali looked super-pissed off about missing out to Mercedes for 2nd, but then it was worth an extra £10m I heard. Never seen him like that - he clearly didn't want to be interviewed.

Personally, I can't wait for the start of next season. So much change, and I'm hoping for some surprise packages.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I disagree. It was a great race. I think people have lost interest since India because the WDC/WCC are wrapped up.

Ironic that Webber would drive such a cracking race the last time round - maybe something to do with having zero pressure? And his final lap and the cooldown without helmet on were... emotional to say the least. I was choking up a little, especially when he and Alonso were getting sentimental before the podium.

The podium interview, sadly, was rubbish. Couldn't have picked a worse person to do the final race and such an important interview (Webbo/V8 exit).