1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Yeah the Quickfire Rapid looks like a good choice, I'm also looking at the Corsair K65 so I'm still a bit undecided. The Corsair looks great, but the Quickfire Rapid has better build quality and I can replace the caps.

How much would a set like these cost to buy?

http://imgur.com/a/uOsWs

Also, why do some people have a grey Quickfire rapid case, while others have a black one? Which one would I be likely to get?

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

You can get both the Poker I and Pure 60% keyboards with reds. Not sure what postage costs but from within the EU so no import costs or anything. Works out about £75, so good option if you were looking for something very small.

The poker is fully standard, the pure almost, just the right shift is different due to the function key placement. Both are ANSI, though, if that bothers you.

3. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I have a set of white PBTs with grey legends, they cost me about £38 imported. There are a few on eBay in various styles, probably the easiest if not the cheapest way to get some.

The case colour varies with switch colour, I believe. The grey cases are for brown, blue and black switches. The red switch version has a black case and a red plate behind the keys too, I think. Someone might correct me on that!

4. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

This is a tough choice :/ Is it possible to replace the grey keycaps on the k65? I'd prefer if all the keycaps looked the same :)

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you are interested in changing keycap sets, then stay away from Corsair for sure. They have an odd size spacebar that won't be available from any 3rd party keycaps, and they also use 3 different size keys for the modifiers on bottom row which will also make it very annoying at best.

CM QFR used to have grey casebody but I believe they are all black now since taking off most of the logos that also used to be all over it.

With your budget, and if you don't mind importing you would also have enough to look at options from Keycool, Noppoo, Plum, and some Ducky.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Ufff that Handarbeit cap set is amazing, but $195 for the full set? Ow.

9. CM Nick

CM Nick Cooler Master Representative

I have been wondering for a while now... Are there also transparent keycaps?
    Because with my backlight that would be something I would really pay for!

10. jinq-sea

Yes. I found some the other day for sale (not a group buy or anything like that) and can't remember where. It might have been Signature Plastics in the US.

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

There is not many sets of transparent caps - you can get some sets on ebay, but I don't rate the quality.

SP are doing some transparent plastics (polycarbonate), but it only really looks decent if you use it as the first shot (the legend), but then you get so much bleed through the second shot (depending on colour) that they still are not a nice cap for a backlight. The only caps that are good with back light (imo) are cherry ds caps that are so thick they don't let any light through, giving a nice behind glow (I like) or traditional back light caps like the shine sets ducky sells, or those that come on backlight boards.

Clear caps I don't think look so good with back light, it's tooo bright and over powering then.

you can get full sets of polycarb caps from SP too, just one shot http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

edit: ninja'd by the jinks, but he was quite right, sp do them :)

CM Nick likes this.
  12. CM Nick

CM Nick Cooler Master Representative

Indeed a full transparent layout does not have the effect I expected... But it could be nice if I just do some keys. Our switch tester also has them, but that is of course without backlight. But nice website, thanks for that!

13. jinq-sea

That's the site I was thinking of Margon - nice one :)

I'm a sneaky ninja

14. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I'm one of the worlds few non-sneaky ninjas. I still wear dark clothes a lot, but i spend my time in neon lit rooms hunched over computers.

15. Margo Baggins

I'm not a ninja, I'm a man with ailments as I managed to stick my 60w iron in the side of my hand last night :( didn't hurt too much at the time, now it hurts alot.

16. jinq-sea

I'm too tall to be a ninja. Being sneaky is, in itself, a bit of a challenge!

I do, however, spend a lot of time in fluorescent-lit offices tapping away at a computer.

Margon - ouch. Burns like that only hurt a little time after the event... I trust you thrust it under cold water for at least ten minutes?

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Did it smell of grilled pork Matt?

18. Margo Baggins

I didn't put it under the tap at all :D I just kept soldering I didn't think it had even burnt me, though, there is a distinct hole in the hand now, so I don't know what I was thinking. My soldersucker had got a bit clogged at the end, and my lazy man approach to this is just to jam my iron in the end, except I missed the end and slipped and stuck it in my hand instead.

No Nick, it smelt only of disappointment :(

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Oh, you can't eat disappointment :waah:

20. jinq-sea

Mmm. Grilled pork.

The weirdo in me wants to see a picture of the hole.

The first aider in me wants to tell you off for being naughty and not taking care of the injury properly.