1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Collections

Discussion in 'General' started by Margo Baggins, 26 Nov 2013.

1. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

lol, i've had them for years, i used to use a pair of them for odd jobs and services.

it'll probably be the weekend before i get them cleaned up. the likely spec is an R4600 133MHz with 64MB ram and 1 or 2 1.3GB SCSI HDs. All four were working but have been boxed up for a while, i fixed them up using parts from other dead ones. I've been casually trying to find owners for a couple of them from people who appreciate older hardware, the last few people who showed an interest wanted to know if they'd be okay to plug into a TV and run xbmc :/

I'll get one sorted, weighed, work out the shipping and let you know :)

also remembered i still have a box with all my PC ZONE cover discs. I have the magazines too, if only to read sarcastic young charlie brooker columns/cartoons. Not sure if hoarding a subscription counts as a 'collection' though.

Heh, i bought vinyl sleeves for mine, a pack of 50. then discovered i had more than 50, so i bought another pack, of 100.

turns out i have more than 150 records too.

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've got a reading list of 103 books, most of those are series where I've bought book 1 and if I enjoy book 1 I plan to buy the rest of them.

Movies / DVDs, not so much me, but my parents. Our DVD collection is probably close to 3-4k discs.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've got a bit of a penchant for shoes of all types, though I have been better recently about actually wearing more than just a couple pairs all of the time.

I aspire to have the financial means to collect watches, and I probably could if I wouldn't have to budget for divorce as well :D

5. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I've corrected it, it's not my fault the default units used to measure features on consumer based products have changed by an order of magnitude.

incendiary trouser based accusations aside, 64MB ram was quite a lot when these came out (but then they were 6 or 7 grand a piece compared to ~£1000 for a home computer).

apparently there are still N64 dev boards/cards out in the wild, as the indy was used as the dev platform. I saw one on ebay once but it had already ended :(

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pretty high-end, then - for the era, I mean. The R4600 is a pretty respectable chip - poor floating point performance, but hot for integer work. It's been a while since I've played with MIPS, though - which reminds me, MIPS was supposed to be making a comeback into mobile. Wonder what happened to that? <makes a note to send 'em an email later>
    Hah! Well, there are MIPS builds of various Lunixes, so theoretically...
    Now that *would* be a high-end Indy! RAMDISK ALL THE THINGS!

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You and Howard hughes :hehe:

I collect antiques of all kinds, books/ furniture / pottery / paintings etc all art and fossils.

Oh and enemies and of course souls

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Oh and my missus and I collect second hand (under £2) terry pratchett discworld books. The fun is in getting them from charity shops.

But then we moved in together and had doubles of most of them.... I'll find the picture later.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Pin badges.
    1st edition hardback Pratchett books.

10. Margo Baggins

This collection is outstanding.

11. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I used to collect Betamax movies... but VHS made them obsolete.
    I used to collect VHS movies... but Laser Disk made them obsolete.
    I used to collect movies on Video 8... but DVD made them obsolete.
    I used to collect music on MiniDisc but MP3s made them obsolete.
    I used to collect movies on Laser Disc... but DVD made them obsolete.
    I used to collect movies on DVD... but technology made them obsolete.
    I used to collect music on CD... but technology made them obsolete.
    I used to collect novels printed on tree pulp... but technology made them obsolete.

Collecting is a young persons game.

I do though own about 25 different rucksacks and 90+ pairs of shoes but neither is really a collection. It's just stuff I have.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Agreed Margon.

I also forgot to mention watches, some vinyl of my own (I really need to get a working radiogram to go with the valve radio I have- oh wait, I also collect those and vacuum tubes) and concert T shirts.

God indeed help my soul.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I try. There's also the calculators, components (I recently picked up a 512-byte core memory module, which looks funky under the microscope), monitors, books, and various other sundries.

I'm currently trying to decide when I can add the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii to the list. Are they 'vintage' now that the next generation consoles are launched (well, by Friday, anyway) or only when they've stopped being produced? When they stop being available at retail? After a grace period, and if so how long?

14. Margo Baggins

I don't think they are vintage yet. I'm slightly scared by this notion that they are on the cusp of being vintage. Talk about making a young-ish person feel old.

I have mediochre collection of vintage computers, but it's mainly consoles, and there is only 5 or 6 entries in my collection so shared it will not be :D

I think your definition of collection is skew-iffy, as, if you see what Gareth posted, that's a true collection, if you have one or two of things, I don't think that makes it a collection. They are just items you own :) And there isn't enough space on the internet to list all the things I own and have managed to squeeze into my Mr Trebus style house :D I have 7 watches for example, but I don't think that's a collection, not yet, I just like watches - and collections need a show piece which I don't have since the uninsured breit went missing at uni :(

15. KidMod-Southpaw

Put it this way Margon, I'm quickly running out of space. Maybe you could find someone else to jab at at every possible opportunity for a little while, please? ;)

Last edited: 26 Nov 2013
  16. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

We're talking about what we collect, not what we've got a successful collection of.

In that case I have a collection of 90's and early 00's Lego, but its not something that I am actively trying to complete sets of anymore.

17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

When I was younger I collected Garfield books.

Years ago it was dvd's

My mum started buying me dragons every year like you get in the destiny shops the ones that smell of those burners...don't know why but there all right.

18. Margo Baggins

I prefer the pre-edit as it doesn't make you sound quite as much like you are suffering a mild persecution complex. I wasn't taking a jab at you - I was merely stating, that I was dubious that all the things mentioned are actual collections, where you pro-actively seek out additions regularly to increase and expand your collection - and thus are actively collecting it.

Though if that's not the case then I accept that I am wrong :)

But also jabs are not accompanied by legions of smiley faces, and recognition of my own collection failings.

And Lance - Quite right, I know this, I started the thread ;)

Last edited: 26 Nov 2013
  19. KidMod-Southpaw

Depends, how often am I wrong in the keyboard thread? :p I keep looking back on the edits and remembering you're a mod! Pfft! :D

Actively collecting I very much am! I ought to get some pictures up soon, and plenty of them.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I had a dozen or so Zippos. My brother's teen drug habit put paid to those, amongst other things. The only one I have left is from HMS Sheffield.

Books - I have many boxes of them in the loft.

Comics - not that many in the Marvel/DC format, but some Ghost Rider and original TMNT and Men in Black (from before they killed them for pre-teen cartoons and horrific movies).
    Far more British comics - 2000AD and Crisis etc.

I used to collect tour Tee shirts from rock/metal gigs - I shudder to think how much I spent on those.

oh, and I still have all my vinyl stored away.

Mainly, nowadays, I just seem to collect years, fat and nose hair.