1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows X Rebirth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by techhead, 8 Aug 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Agreed! I am playing 2560x1600 and I am struggling with the menus. I am long sighted and don't normally need my glasses for reading the screen text, but for this game I am having to put them on whenever a menu appears!

Not come across any of the bugs people are reporting (hasn't crashed once), but this is probably because I am not that far in.

I can't get over how it reminds me of Space Games from the early 90's - I kind of like it!

2. techhead

techhead Minimodder

there's a update for rebirth on steam now to help with the crashers. I have had a few of them in game and saving a game few more bug fix's in the update
    there all so looking in the font size they are far to small

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's reassuring to see them pushing out updates quickly.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

One of the bugs I wonder about is the infamous '100 energy cells' mission. I thought it was happening to me but it turned out I a) had to wait and b) I had queued too many commands (though I haven't found a way to cancel commands).
    I can see where you're coming from. I just wish the tutorials were a little more forgiving.
    That's the thing that all the whingers on other forums don't get - Egosoft's post launch support for their products is second to none IMHO.

5. techhead

techhead Minimodder

X Rebirth Update 1.14 Released

• Fixed crash when starting game caused by attached joystick.
    • Fixed several causes of crashes in-game.
    • Fixed boarding failure feedback.
    • Fixed problem with gate not activating.
    • Fixed UI issues with buttons being active where they shouldn't.
    • Fixed ware categories not being expanded in trade offers.
    • Fixed problem with secondary weapon panel not being visible sometimes.
    • Fixed problem with player engineers on board capital ships and stations.
    • Fixed issues with ship traders not accepting orders.

well-done egosoft

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

There seems to be an incredible amount of vitriol on the Steam Forums regarding this game with some people comparing it to the WarZ with regard to how bad it is (no way, I say, that game was much, much worse). These days the Steam Forums are pretty bad, with usually the first posts being 'I want a refund' but I have been surprised at the level of hate that seems to be going on.

Personally I haven't had any major problems with Rebirth (although I am only a few hours in). It is kind of what I expected with regard to a large game that will likely evolve over the coming months/years.

Is this a case where people are getting too impatient with a game? Or, is the vitriol justified?

7. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

I'm really enjoying the game, but there is a lot of bugs, and it does get annoying quite a lot.

8. GravitySmacked

It is a bit of a mess in all honesty. I've stopped playing whilst they patch it up.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Most people just expected a bit better. X rebirth will be perfect in 6 months it's when I will pick it up.

10. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

they're being impatient. taking an objective look at egosofts history, the issues encountered in previous titles, the various Q and As they've done, and the level of support they provide for their products following release, no one has any justifiable cause for concern.

i think a lot of people got annoyed with the 'bug' with the trading 100 energy things near the beginning. my solution was to wander off for 10 minutes and i came back in time to see the third purchase completed as i'd filled the queue with purchase orders.

I did lose a freighter, which some people have labelled a bug, but i think i might have had it follow me into combat so i'm not sure. either way, steam forum users said 'this is a bug, you'll have to go back to your last saved game with it and replay several missions'. My response was to find a new shipyard, get a new freighter built, and continue on my merry way.

I've had three crashes now, first time through the gate, first time back through the gate (subsequent reloads were fine) and once in a superhighway where i knocked my mouse and the fire button got held down, i shot out maybe a dozen ships and started to get a lot of 'stop being a dick' messages, then it crashed. not something i'd genuinely do within the game anyway. Other than that and the two afore-mentioned 'bugs', it looks great, plays well, my only gripe is i don't really like the skunk, and the lack of ship customisation. both things are likely to be sorted at some point in the future according to egosoft and neither is a bug.

worth noting so far i have encountered fewer problems than in either arma 3 or battlefield 4, and they appear to be getting fixed faster.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

For a lot of X fans (fans of XBTF/ X2/X3/TC/AP) it's nothing to do with bugs. We know what Egosoft are like - we know to expect lots of gamebreaking bugs and poor performance until a few patches have been released - And then lots of free updates for years afterwards that turn the game into something great (partly due to a great modding community).
    That depends on the actual base game and its mechanics being good to begin with, though; as they were in X2/3/TC/AP.

What X fans did not want was a game that was gutted in terms of depth and features compared to its predecessors, with a horrible 'joypad-friendly' interface hamfisted onto it in place of the far, far more functional keyboard-shortcut/mouse-driven menus of the previous games; and an emphasis on the areas that have always been Egosoft's weakest: plot, characters, voice-acting.

It doesn't help that the player is then foisted with an uncanny-valley-eyed boob-windowed 'spunky' copilot and her stupid comments, a single ship to fly and clunky off-ship scenes and interactions that add nothing to the game by virtue of not being good enough to actually add any immersion.

Lots of the vitriol on the steam forums is the usual BS from the forum rabble, but many of the complaints about Rebirth are justified and go far beyond patchable bugs.
    Rebirth has been hamstrung by ridiculous design decisions that reek of a failed console port and/or an attempt to 'mainstream' the X games.
    Frankly, I think it's disappointing that so many of the reviews have focused on the bugs. It's understandable, because the bugs are often showstopping, but bugs can be fixed. Bad game design needs more than hotfixes and patches.

The sales figures suggest a success in raw numbers, but the after-sales response has been dire and Egosoft's reputation is suddenly very much on the rocks.
    It may not be anywhere near as bad (or as cynically-minded) as WarZ, but WarZ was the last time that I saw such a swarm of people fighting with Valve to try and get refunds on Steam.

I want to see Rebirth turned into something special like the previous X games, I want to see Egosoft succeed because they're one of very few companies to provide excellent after-sales support for an offline game these days and they've treated their fans well in the past; but I think I'll be sticking with X3AP for a long time yet.

12. techhead

techhead Minimodder

X rebirth is a bit of a mess at the moment patch 1.17 has stopped all trading in the universe even station building has stopped

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think it's half and half. The game should have been released in a better state but it will be fixed. I think the main reason for the sheer amount of rage is people buying into the series without knowing Egosoft's modus operandi i.e. that of using their player base as beta testers (something I have no problem with as Egosoft are a small company releasing ambitious games).
    Same here. I've actually gone all the way back to Reunion with the Xtended mod! No mission manager; gathering credits, experience and reputation takes ages; and IMHO a better UI.

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

I gave it less than a day, my disappointment was too great. It really is a very, very poor game.

Although lets face it, every X game Egosoft have released has been flawed, fixed by the community and then re-released as an 'expansion' including the popular community fixes, mods and ideas.

Whether this mess is fixable is doubtful. Already the modders are being hampered with being locked into the radial menus and various other 'design' limitations.

I think my biggest problem, as a long term Egosoft supporter and fan, is now understanding the reason for the lack of pre-release material etc. For me was a cynical ploy to maximise release and pre-order sales and one I find hard to forgive, regardless of external pressures placed on the studio to release.

Still, I'm back on X3:AP with the XRM 1.30b mod and it is infinitely a better game. Once again a fan-written mod that makes the real X universe re-playable.

15. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i might give XRM a try, i re-installed albion prelude while playing rebirth.

I do think rebirth has given me the kick i needed to get into this. i've previously tried all versions of x3 but wasn't able to get into any of them.

16. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Same here - I'm really impressed by the XRM mod.
    One of the things I look for in mods is that they 'feel' like the base game, so that they're an improvement on what's there instead of a weird departure; and that's exactly what XRM manages to do.

The quality of its added content is such that it doesn't feel like playing an amateur mod, it feels like playing X3AP the way it should've been from the start.

17. GravitySmacked

This mod sounds good; I'm going to have to try it with Albion Prelude.

18. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Not sure I like the optional cockpit mod yet, but I'm playing on 1440p so it might be they simply don't scale well at this resolution. Not a problem for me as I kinda like the full view anyway.

The additional start options are great and offer some variety from the get go but as Zurechial says, the whole feel of the mod is excellent and very polished.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Is the XRM mod available at the Nexus hub? Although I am quite enjoying pootling about in X-Rebirth, I am finding it somewhat frustrating that I can't admire things from an external camera from time to time - I guess I am feeling a little claustrophobic in that little cockpit.

Also the consensus does seem to be that Albion Prelude with XRM is pretty good.

20. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

So im goinv to try again to get into an X game. Shall I go for thr latest one before Rebirth? And can I just install these mods you mention via steam workshop?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk