1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Dam

Dam What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone.

Does anyone know of any good mechanical keyboards for Macs? The only one i can find is the Das Keyboard Model S. However this has a glossy finish which does not appeal to me at all!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I think a few mechs will work with macs. Check the sales blurb/spec but sure i've seen people refer to Mac use of poker, pure, hhkb, filco, ducky at various times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I've used a poker and a race with my mbp, i imagine they're all fine but some of the key mappings will be off a bit.

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have a friend who uses a Filco with his Mac, the only issue for him is the position of the windows/alt keys (and the fact they aren't apple legends). On my Poker X I can flick across dip switch 3 and swap my left alt and win key around, this makes it a little more usable with my MBP if I have just got used to the alt and command position. Otherwise the keyboard works just as well as any other keyboard.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've used a Matias before and whilst the design is questionable, it's a really nice board to type on.

Not cheap mind! £119 from KeyboardCo.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

He does have the most beautiful boards (mostly assembled by you I think). Did you see his mega sell-off thread yesterday to raise money for his 'mystery' item?

The Matias Shirty linked to is the only one I can think of which is specifically for Macs (right keys and everything) but others should work - I remember once seeing a youtube video where someone was using a Filco or HHKB or something with a MacBook (I think)

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I did see it - I also know what the mystery item is! it's quite cool, I'm not sure I would desire it enough to stump up the price it's cost.

The duck v1.5 pcb is really cool - it natively supports cherry mx and alps switches. I would quite like to build a 60% alps board, it would just be really annoying trying to put caps on it, and I am not sure I am bothered enough to hunt out suitable caps.

8. GeorgeK

I'd love an alps board but (a) there are others I want first and (b) exactly like you said finding replacement caps (or any caps for that matter) is a pita...

9. CM Nick

CM Nick Cooler Master Representative

Hi fuus,

This is already the case. If you order the Switch Tester and later on order a Mechanical Keyboard on our CM Store, you get the price of the Switch Tester as a discount on the Mechanical Keyboard.

But Margon said that you guys have to pay a lot for the shipping of that small thing, so the discount becomes really small...

Either way, we can't give an extra discount on the Switch Tester or a Mechanical Keyboard then the current deal we have running. Sorry for that ;)

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I think the DSI Modular is probably the best Mac specific mechanical keyboard that's easily available. Though really most any 6KRO or less keyboard is fine, just need to use key remapper software and replace a few keycap.

11. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Got the QWERkeys switch tester today. :D

[​IMG]

Popped in a MX Clear instead of the White but they are like a more silent version of Blues.
    Left to right:
    Red, Black, Brown, Clear, Blue, Green, Buckling Spring, Topre.

12. GeorgeK

Lookin good :)

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Ooh, I like that BS one!

14. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

It's awesome. But both that and the Topre are from an earlier switch tester bag from Mr. Interface on Deskthority.

15. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

you could get a basic set by getting an old SGI keyboard. They'd only be grey, but they're not bad caps.

16. Margo Baggins

I am not fussed what they look like - I was literally meaning, any caps just to put on it :) Though I imagine, the board would have to be built in a weird layout to accomodate the caps you have. Though then again, I'm sure there is some funky alps boards that could be found on one of the import sites like ali express, but they would likely be really awful caps ha.

17. GeorgeK

Yeah - alps caps can be really weird sizes - take the Siig Minitouch for example! It has a big ass J shaped enter but then more of an ANSI layout elsewhere...

I've heard some bad things about aliexpress...

18. Margo Baggins

Really?! I have used aliexpress quite a lot of times and I haven't had any problems from there.

I don't think I can ever buy any keyboards again now as I have just spent all my money on shiny pc bits.

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

The biggest problem with Alps, is it's super hard to find either ANSI or ISO enter on nice older boards with doubleshots/dyesubs. They almost always use awful bigass enter and 1x backspace way.
    Aliexpress is much like Tao Bao or ebay. You have bad and good sellers, you just need to pay attention.

20. GeorgeK

Lol - you say that now...

Yeah - I'd love an alps board but don't like many of the layouts of the 'normal' ones and the custom ones would be damn near impossible to find nice caps for...