1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any R290 owners yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 10 Nov 2013.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I like the green wiring Naloac

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Thanks Loftie.
    MDPC-X Sleeving that I did when I built the rig originally in 2010.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well initial impressions on the 290, fast, hot, hungry (extra 200w on my system) , noisy and a little bit stuttery which is odd, my 680s felt smoother gaming :( need to look into it further I'm sure they should be better.

Any tips?

I did not do a reinstall, is it necessary going between different GPU architectures?

I wonder if I am tipping outside of my PSU efficiency island as it is only a TX750

4. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I had a little bit of that too. Did a clean windows install and now I'm getting silky smooth gameplay running crossfire in all my games. No micro stuttering or anything like that. They do run very hot, but I don't find them that noisy at all. I'm debating buying a 3rd card before slapping some blocks on all of them.

I think you may be pushing it a bit with that PSU though.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Good to hear I'm not alone and that it can be solved, fortunately I have a 1kw Platimax lying around for a build I am doing for a mate, it will now be mine :naughty:

I'll pop that in first and see if that solves things I am really not in the mood for a re-install.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Just uninstall all drivers, run driversweeper, reboot and then reinstall the drivers - no need to nuke your Windows install for nothing.

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Had my vtx3d 290 unlocked to 290x a few days now and quite pleased with it, stock fan nowhere noisey as i was led to believe but does run a bit on the warm side, thinking about fitting a accelero extreme 3

8. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

Anyone attached a closed loop system to an R290 yet like this? I'm getting itchy feet waiting for the partner boards to come out (any news on this?). I'm holding back playing BF4 till they do :) As an owner of an H80 I was really impressed with my CPU, can it perform the same for my GPU? Worth the risk on voiding warranty?

Also, I'm assuming my Corsair HX 520W is going to need upgrading to power these latest cards?

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Confused, BTs review show the system pulling 420W, surely the PSU would be fine?

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have two, and BT only review gaming, I am using OpenCL to stress it, much higher load, pulled 900w from the wall, a lot more than most games/benchmarks, new PSU has dropped that by 150w due to higher efficiency.

Man do those VRMs get toasty.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Still tempted by the performance of Crossfire R9 290 but the talk of noise is off putting!

What's the noise level like with a regular game of Battlefield 3 Sandy?

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

its not bad, might depend on your mother board, I don't have any space between slots so after a while it ramps up and stays there, if you have head phones on its not bad, I've put EKWC blocks on them now.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Hmmm, decisions decisions.

I have a line where I can grab R9 290 for £270 each at the time of writing. Question is should I pull the trigger!

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I got them on the dabs thing, not quite that cheap but good enough for me, I need to play some more games though and convince my self the stuttering is gone, should be, in a move of utter foolishness I had popped one in an x4 PCIE slot :duh:, forgot I was using a cheap ass mobo, I was just trying to give it breathing room :D

15. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I find the noise produced by dual 290s to be a non issue

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Pull the trigger, I looked at your board and you appear to have an additional slot in between your gpus, I run a uATX so the GPUs are stacked on top of each other, not ideal for this sort of power, particularly when the hot VRM zone is directly next to the fan of the next gpu :D

Last edited: 28 Nov 2013
  17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

sandy have you tried flashing them to see if they unlock to 290x's, if your intrested i have the asus bios with unlocked voltage as i know you are a compolsive fidder.
    from what ive read xfx,powercolor,vtx3d and his have a good success rates and at the worst will give you 290x clock speeds with unlocked voltage even if the shaders dont unlock

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Mine are post wk38 so aren't flashable, laser locked.

19. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

bugger, no real big deal though the 290's are not far behind an x but just nice to get something for free

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Installed a blower GPU in my main rig to simulate how an R9 290 might sound and I didn't like it! Going to hold off for now and see how this Mantle idea plays out, then maybe see some custom cooled R9 290s on the scene! :thumb: