1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

So my new lens arrived this morning, so i went out for a play. Some photo's turned out good, others however i wasn't happy with, but that's my own skill/fault.

Having said that, these two i am pleased with:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_5584 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5571 by samkiller42, on Flickr

Cheers,
    Sam

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

What lens did you get?

3. samkiller42

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro, And my camera is a Canon 600D.

Sam

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

5. bdigital

Very nice.

I looking at getting a decent standard zoom for walkabout / landscape / portrait etc.

At the moment im torn between the new Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 or the stalwart sigma 17-55 2.8 OS.

Anyone own or tried either lens?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. stonedsurd

I swear by my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. If the reviews say that the Sigma OS equivalent is better, I'd say go for it without a second thought.

On the other hand, the 18-35 f/1.8 seems incredible as well - obviously geared more toward available light photography than outright zoom versatility.

TBH, if I was shooting street on a crop-body, I would probably go for the 18-35 for the speed, but if I wanted a true general purpose walkabout, I would go with any of the 17-55 f/2.8 zooms.

7. bdigital

Thanks Stone. I want the 18.35 f1.8 because of th3 excellent sharpness and of course the extra light. But im not 100% convinced about the focal length being enough (although I do own a nifty fifty prime)

The tammy ive read very good things about, but what is the af like and build quality? My budget is £650 so I dont need to scrimp if you know what I mean.

The 17-50 f2.8 siggy is a very safe option. Sharp, light, fast, decent af and build quality and useful focal range (plus its £350 new locally). Im just soooo tempted by the 1.8 !!!!

Im going to have a play with both this weekend and see what that does to my thinking.

8. stonedsurd

If you own a nifty, I think the natural choice is the 18-35.

Re: the Tammy, for information's sake, it's built solidly. I've had it since 2009 and put it through the same torture that's broken my 70-200 f4L IS... twice. And the Tammy hasn't been scratched. Ok, it has, but you get the point. It's been bumped, slammed, scraped, dropped, used at beaches, in Indian monsoon rain and in a -15°C snowstorm. I totally buy into the L-lens mythos, but the Tammy is nearly as good, even if it doesnt feel like it is.

9. samkiller42

Blimey, wish my budget was that large, £100 was the upper limit for me, Hence buying the Sigma, but i'm still very happy non the less. I'm now looking for a 3rd lens for my March Bonus, This is what caught my eye: Canon EF - 28-135mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Whether it will do for my needs, who know's, but i'm willing to take a gamble.

Sam

10. bdigital

Yeah decent budget, but im selling approx £300 of pc bits, and adding birthday + xmas money from the gf before I actually spend my own cash :)

We did the same last year and I managed to get a siggy 120-300 f.28 OS.....I wont tell you how much for lol

11. stonedsurd

The Indian Navy's Tu-142MKE fleet turned 25 years old on the same day I turned 23. :)

[​IMG]

(click for big)

12. samkiller42

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

We spent the day at the Texas Renaissance Festival. Toward the end of the day we stopped by the blacksmith's forge to take in a demonstration of modern smithing in an anacronistic old-world setting. The apprentice was busy hammering out something while the master smith answered questions. I'm not sure why, but I always find myself drawn to the forge - moreso than almost any other part of the faire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bdigital

Hey monkey like the shots. What lens and setting were you using? They look like low light shots so just wondered

15. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

[​IMG]
    KAWAI ES7 by George.Yoda, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Piano keys by George.Yoda, on Flickr

New digital piano arrived today, thought I'd take a couple of quick pictures, seeing light room really reminded me how many pictures I need to go through and do some quick work/just sort out the bad from the good and upload some (from last summer :( )

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Thanks. My camera died recently, so I've been using my wife's camera in the meantime. It is a Canon Rebel T3i with the 18-55mm kit lens. Photographically speaking the light was super dark in the forge area - it was late evening and they only have a few dim lights (in keeping with the 'old-world' feel). Given how well her camera performed that day, I'm finding it hard to keep justifying an expensive camera purchase for the future.

Both photos were shot at ISO 800, handheld. I was shooting aperture priority with exposure compensation set between 1.5 and 2 stops under. The camera's light meter kept wanting longer exposures because it was so dark, and I wanted to underexpose to keep the shadows nice and dark to maintain the feel of the place. The wider shot is 1/15 sec, f/5. The closer shot is 1/8 sec, f/5.

18. bdigital

Very good effort with that kit! Im impressed. Ive almost exclusively shot with long super zooms / primes (300mm and above up to 700mm) for almost a year.

Im just starting to try and get into wider stuff so il probably be posting up some beginners stuff over the next month or so!

19. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

20. stonedsurd

Neo, you're living the life! Brilliant!

[​IMG]

(click for big)