1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming PlayStation 4 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 29 Nov 2013.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yet Sony are also delivering on that aspect, without making a song and a dance about it. They've got a bunch of media apps launching today (iPlayer etc), without a paywall (unlike the Xbone), and more in the pipeline. DLNA/MP3/CD support will come as well, so I don't see how Sony are shooting themselves in the foot.

Plus, overheating? Evidence for this?

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Two arguments that always crop up and yet I'll never understand them.

1) Guessing very few of those commenting have kids that want the next must have console to play there games with there m8s.

I'm guessing that they haven't learned to say 'No' to their children yet? Kids will always want something new no matter what they have just got. A satisfied child is taught to be satisfied and not merely given everything they 'so desperately need'.

2) I have a high end PC (4820K, GTX780) however always had my PS3 and going to get a PS4 for those games that I do want to play while laying on the sofa, on the 50" plasma, with the surround sound at full blast.

Have you never heard of a HDMI cable? You do know that not only can you hook your PC up to a high resolution monitor but you can also hook it up to your TV as well. Fair enough if your PC is in a different room but you don't say that and you make it sound like you are not able to do this and run PC games on a TV.
    --------

Fair enough if you choose to buy one or both of the new consoles but it is your choice to do so, don't make excuses for it as if you had no choice. At the moment I am still swinging to the side of the XBox One as the argument of the PS4 being more powerful may well become moot as developers may not choose the enhance their games for the PS4 over the XBox One and so differences may be few and far between. Other reasons for that choice are the 'One' ecosystem that MS is building and has had me interested since they released WP7, I am looking forward to what developments Windows, XBox One and Windows Phone will all bring together and this is an area that Sony isn't even engaging in. However, I am also put off right now as I am interested to see what Kinect2 will bring directly to the PC in the new year. All being said and done the final decision will be made around this time next year as I won't rush in to a 5+ year commitment with a decision made in a couple of weeks, based mainly on release hype.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Support will come as well?

Has there ever been a games console that doesn't get hot?

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Just like a gaming PC :confused:

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Built correctly, not at all.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its often not about the build but where people put them (inside cabinets etc.) that cause issues.

PC don't work as well in the front room from a control perspective as a console, big picture is getting there and perhaps Steam OS will solve it but as it stands its a bit flaky. Consoles do work, out of the box as do their games, no need to worry if your hardware can cope.

7. SchizoFrog

I don't understand what you mean by 'from a control perspective'. What can you do with a console that you can't do with a PC? As for setting up and working out of the box, then yes I agree this is an issue for the 'average Joe' but surely that isn't a point that should be applied here?

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I assume he means that it's more difficult to control a PC than a console.
    A keyboard and mouse are less practical in a living room than a controller most of the time.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You can't just switch it on from your sofa, installed games can need more than a mouse pointer and password entry so you need a keyboard, windows on screen attempt isn't amazing, it doesn't always come up, the experience dies right there, I do have a small logitech dinovo for mine and an OK mouse pointer with my shuttle remote but none works as well as any game console.

10. SchizoFrog

The mouse and keyboard argument is irrelevant. Any modern PC game also has the option for control pad use and I use the wireless XBox 360 with mine so what is the difference? Any game that can't be controlled via a control pad wouldn't be on a console in the first place.

11. GeorgeStorm

I don't think he's talking about playing the game, but everything else.

12. SchizoFrog

So never heard of XBMC or a multitude of other pieces of software to control your media? I have a media centre remote but you can also obtain apps to control your PC through your smartphone and use that as a fully interactive control device.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The difference is getting into game, I do it, yes, but the experience is not slick, I cringe everytime I log into origin or uplay, is it going to ask me for a password etc.

I too use a 360 pad on mine and yes that is fine once in a game.

14. SchizoFrog

Personally I feel that any argument against a PC as a 'front room' device is a little silly and stems from being lazy to figure out a solution. There are solutions to almost any problem you can throw at the PC and that is only going to get more true with the release of Kinect2 and that is the beauty of the device. If you want to have a console, that is fine, but just say you want a console without saying 'I am going to get a console because it is better than a PC and PCs can't do the same things'.

15. GeorgeStorm

I have, but to a lot of people a console is easier to use, and doesn't require you to go out of your way to find a solution to a problem.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My opinion is no less valid or silly than yours, I'm basically trying to point out its more convenient, and of course it is, there are no solutions to find, it just works, that is the point of a console, it does the job you bought it for well, no hassle, quickly and without frustrating kids/missus in the process.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do you mean the opposite of what happened last gen?
    When Microsoft targeted the 360 as being a gamers console and hit a lower price point than their main competitor, and Sony targeted the PS3 as the all singing all dancing media console but with a higher price.

Seems odd that their positions now seems reversed, with Microsoft targeting the all singing all dancing console that used to be the market of the PS3, and Sony pitching the PS4 as a gamers console that was the market of the 360.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Little things give Sony's perspective about being more customer and experience-focussed imo - being able to put the game audio out completely through the controllers etc is a nice touch (even if MS have done it), it all adds to the experience. Couple that with the seemingly pay-wall-less attitude to most of the PS4 systems (apps etc), an upgradeable HDD, and imo a nicer design and it's the one to choose.

Not sure why it's an overheating box - build me a PC in the same footprint with the same or more processing power, for anything like the cost, using shelf parts that doesn't get warm.

The launch titles for both consoles are pretty meh, so no change between the two there...

19. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Referring to the issue brought to our attention prior to launch - will it play CD's DVD's and stream via DNLA, these remain deal breaking features for some people.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

not patched in yet for CD and DLNA, I think DVDs are fine though as are Blu ray but not 3D bluray yet.

Tags: Add Tags