1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to drop FX CPUs, move to APUs, suggests leaked slide

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 4 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

The future is Fusion...

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the slide that's been pretty much proven to be a photochop?

4. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Don't see where the problem is.

According to the tests a down clocked 2Ghz FX Vishera is getting bottlenecked by a 290X under Mantle API

With Steamroller core being stronger than the current FX cores, doesn't change much tbh. Which seems a Kaveri going to get bottlenecked by a 290X under Mantle also. So thats good news for the average user.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

As long as the game your playing supports mantle yes that would be accurate panos. BF4 patch is due this month we will see what mantle can do then id imagine.

This does not come as a shock, Do wonder though why they have bothered to make there fx 8 core chips if they are not going to continue with them. They are very good chips for the price bracket they are in.

More Intel price rises on the way it would seem.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

This could simply just be a roadmap for APUs, but that doesn't mean all CPU products. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what separates the Steamroller architecture from Piledriver - there's a possibility there are too many changes to make it work on existing chipsets, but it isn't quite worth AMD making yet another socket for DDR3. Once DDR4/5 is released, I'm sure AMD will have a non-APU model to offer.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Got any links to the tests, my Googling didn't turn up anything :(

8. Williz

Williz Minimodder

I don't even know what CPU to buy anymore. I'm on am3+ and have a phenom 1090t still. What's the best upgrade I can get / is it worth waiting?

9. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I'd stick with what you've got...and wait to see exactly where AMD are going, your CPU is still good for the vast majority of apps and games.

The only CPU you could really class as an upgrade from the 1090 would be the 8320/8350, but the nature of the core design on those means it could be slower in some things.

The Phenom II X6 chips are very sought after on the auction sites BTW, if it's in good condition, you'll easily get over £100 for it.

Maybe sell it and put it towards an Intel 4670/4770K setup if you want a BIG performance increase.

Williz likes this.
  10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

meh im going to an FX 9590 from a 1090T ;)

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Waste of money, but your electricity supplier will like you.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

faster than an i5 and matches an i7 so yeah lets go with that

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Why not just go for either of the FX-8300 CPUs and overclock it? I got to 4.4GHz on my FX-6300 and still have power saving features on. I should be able to outperform just about any i5 (at stock speeds) with that and it wasn't hard to get to that speed. I could probably get to 4.5 if I pushed the voltage a little higher.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

8320 can hit the same speeds as 9590 so not really sure the point in that but each there own i guess.

15. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Yeah...but calling it a 9590 makes it sound sooooooo much better.

16. Williz

Williz Minimodder

I thought that was the case if I''m honest but wasn't sure! Thanks Hustler. I've not any problems with my setup but just had an upgrade itch. Think I'll just stick with getting a corsair 540, a load of fans and a h100i. I might look at switching to Intel after Christmas and see if I can find a sale on the CPUs anywhere :)

17. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Not entirely surprised. AMD have been neglecting AM3+ for a while, alongside refusing to release the steamroller cores for the FX platform, It's been obvious that they weren't devoted to retaining it as a platform for too much longer.

Tags: Add Tags