1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I just have you beat at 12 in my HAF X file server at the moment, but that will be expanding dramatically in the new year with the addition of another 5 disk array of 3TB Reds. Whilst I'm nowhere near capacity yet, capping game footage for the past few weeks has been pretty sore on my storage situation!

Most recent purchases for me have been:

- a SolderWerks BlackJack 6000 rework/soldering station. Lysaer put me onto this one earlier in this very thread. I'm sure it's not up to the standard or performance of my Weller or Metcal stations but judging from the reviews, it'll do just fine for my school workshop where it will live and work so I don't have to haul one back and forth with me 5 times per week. I have shamelessly robbed Lysaer's pic :p

- I also ordered an Ericsson WWAN card for my X230:

[​IMG]

- Also a backlit keyboard:

[​IMG]

- Since I "robbed Peter to pay Paul" and put my own 8GB kit of RAM from it into a friend's machine this week, I ordered an 8GB kit of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 for it too:

[​IMG]

- I have a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD waiting to go into it as well:

[​IMG]

Oh, and (another) £70 of diesel this afternoon :rolleyes:

Last edited: 8 Dec 2013
  2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

This weekend has been great, got an PS4 on Saturday and now got this for my birthday from family

[​IMG]

3. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I want these for my yoga could you please provide more details, where did you get them?

My yoga has a free PCIe slot but as it is internal it wouldn't be easily accessible. I guess you need a data SIM from a provider? Can you get 4G cards?

I can't find any yoga 2 pro replacement keyboards (which are backlit) on ebay, but this would be a brilliant future upgrade for my yoga 13.

4. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Berghaus Artic Gemini 3 in 1 Gore tex jacket in navy blue

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

£10 off at Tesco. I couldn't say no.

[​IMG]

6. Unicorn

Yes of course - the WWAN card was from this seller and the backlit keyboard from this one.

The way I found them was by downloading the X230's FRU list and searching for the Lenovo part numbers on Google and eBay. The WWAN card goes into a mini PCI-E slot on the X230 as well, but it's easy to get at them because they're right under the palm rest which just clips off after the keyboard once you've removed a few screws from the bottom of the machine. I pulled them off recently to make sure it didn't already have one in it - took about 2 minutes. I love how easy this machine is to work on :)

[​IMG]

You can see where the WAN card will go on the bottom right hand corner under the palmrest. The card already there is the Intel wireless-N card - which supports wireless broadcasting so I'll be able to broadcast a WiFi hotspot just like I can from my 5S! Yes, you do need a data SIM which on the X230 goes into a slot under the battery - the PCI-E card is just the modem for it. You can currently get 4G cards for it but the one I ordered only supports 3G which will be more than enough for me. I don't have the data SIM yet because I'm still trying to weigh up who will have the best 3G coverage for me - I know it won't be o2 judging from the coverage I have on my 5S. Three are looking quite promising and have now got free roaming, which would be handy for me using it in border areas and towns here.

I also just ordered the palmrest assembly with fingerprint reader:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, this one's coming from China :D That's the last thing I'm doing to it for the moment. I will eventually put an IPS screen in it and maybe a 9 cell battery, but the TN panel is fine for now and I'm currently getting over 5 hours of real world work out of it with the 6 cell battery. That may even improve slightly when the mechanical disk is replaced with an SSD.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2013
  7. asura

asura jack of all trades

A quick, brief, and - feel free to ignore - word of advice on whisky kid... avoid anything of 38-40% abv; it's generally chill filtered, which imparts a great degree of sameness (islay excepted) to the taste and in particular after-taste of any given whisky. Probably the easiest way to "taste the difference" is via Glenfidich's 15s; their standard is chill filtered, and the "distillery edition" isn't. The difference is definitely there.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Well I didn't know that! Admittedly, I'm still a Cardhu fan, it does a lot for me as I do have a very sweet palette, but thank you!

I do like Glenfiddich's 15, quite a damn lot, but the distillery edition has always been to expensive for me to make a comparison. ;)

9. Unicorn

I have to ask... did they sell that to you personally?

10. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

16GB iPad Mini Retina in space grey.

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Is KidMod even old enough to drink/buy alcohol?... :worried:

12. asura

asura jack of all trades

Shhhhhh!

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Since my trusty old Logitech G5 is on its way out, I had to spend a wee bit on a new mouse.
    The missus having no sense for what these things cost, put a budget on me that's ridiculously low (somewhat ironic, considering that her last mouse was an expensive MS Arc, and her new one is an MS Arc Touch - both of which I bought her).

I think I did well for the budget, and bought a Steelseries Kinzu V2.
    I know people hate the lack of buttons, but honestly, with the amount of games I play, i only ever need three. Thumb buttons go COMPLETELY unused in my world.
    And for 150 NAD (10 pounds), I don't think I could do any better. This way the missus is happy, and I have a new mouse that's not COMPLETE crap.

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's for cosmetic reasons to remove the esters. Good little article about it here.

Just another one of those things you have to do to meet strange consumer expectations, and in the spirits industry you really can't ignore you brand image. :(

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A TP-Link TL-WR702N cable router (£15 @ Argos)
    Why, you ask?

I can take it on holiday & plug it into the hotel's free ethernet as a WiFi AP, instead of paying £££/day for in-room wifi.

16. suragh

suragh Derp

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

sold my 7950s on ebay and am a click away from buying a 780ti

or should i wait for aftermarket 290xes

Last edited: 9 Dec 2013
  18. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

19. suragh

suragh Derp

My opinion would be to wait if you can hold off the temptation.. :)

20. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Wait. My 290 is very impressive, but the fan is ****ing loud. 290X would be even better, especially with a better cooler.