1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google tries to dodge UK privacy suit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Back in January legal form Olswang - legal 'firm' ?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, the joys of typos that result in perfectly valid words and therefore don't get a squiggly red line under 'em. Fixed, ta!

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

What get's me is autocorrect always replacing english words with american words and single handedly destroying all those years in english classes !

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, where do I start? ;)

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'BONSAI!!!!' and 'GERANIUMS!!!!' is running joke amongst my friends due to backstabbing auto-correct [Supposed to be Banzai and Geronimo respectively]

kenco_uk likes this.
  7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

When I used the spelling"Realise" on another forum (this forum also puts a red line under it) I was quite viciously flamed by what seemed like half the American population who suddenly turned into the spelling police, when I explained that many countries spell it that way rather than "Realize" I was then informed that it was because all Europeans are illiterate and would not "recognize" (sic) true English if it kicked them in the head :duh:

I decided boredom was the better part of valour and couldn't be bothered to reply...:rolleyes: it's VALOUR :wallbash:

No offense meant to our American members, thanks for putting up with our butchering of the English language :D

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I use "Duck Duck Go" they don't track you or save details, not used google for ages, you can live without it ;)

9. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I really did try to use Duck duck go because I do value my privacy (as attested to by my plethora of Firefox privacy plugins.)

But I like results which I can read and pick the information out that I want. I can't get on with Bing similarly, I just seem to prefer the Google format for absorbing information quickly from searches.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Does Google still use the "Don't be evil" motto? It's feeling more and more like they've forgotten it.

Use whichever spelling you please, you'll butcher the pronounciation either way. :lol:

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Thats long gone. Their new motto is "Be a slimey *****"

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You do realize that this is about DoubleClick (google ads), so using different search engine won't help you when google ads are embedded in every second website :).

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Thats where the ghostery addon comes in. I'm blocking double click and google analytics right now with it.

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I forgot to mention the Ghostery plugin I've tried a few privacy plugins but I find Ghostery is the best at the moment.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

This whole situations is so.... stupid. While I understand the UK court system has every right to be annoyed, they over-exaggerated the problem. It definitely is a douchebag move of Google to basically say "if you want it, come and get it" but honestly what is a law system without pursuit? If you murder someone, you can't expect them to walk over to the police station and turn themselves in.

For the record, I think this whole Safari thing being a "mistake" is such BS. I don't see how they could let such an obvious issue get past them so easily.

Anyway, I think what really bothers me is today, people are so full of nothing but hot air. I am really bored of people saying "mar mar mar I hate google because they record my searches" or "the NSA is listening to my phone calls blah blah blah" and yet nobody does anything about it (switching to a competitor doesn't help if you still use any of Google's services). Personally, I don't care - I knowingly use google search without disabling the tracking feature, because it is really that little of a concern to me.