1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which monitor to get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 17 Dec 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have had quite a lot of decent monitors in the past,
    Dell 22" Ultra sharp
    Del U2711
    Dell 30"

I just sold my Asus VG278H which is a 3d screen (havin the oculas rift kind of makes the 3d kit a bit redundant).

Im just looking on scan and can see the Dell 29" UltraSharp U2913WM , the aspect ratio looks interesting, I means its different.

I will be using screen for some gaming, movies, educational and some star citizen in the future.

Onbviously I could just drop a 27" Dell U2713HM or 30" Dell U3014 but because of the oculas rift I am not really feeling the need for a huge screen any more.

Guess following is important.
    -Very good image quality.
    -Good for movies, clear blacks important?
    -Under £500
    -Good brand important?

What are some of the best monitors to sitting on a proper desk today for home study and work up to 27"

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is EXACTLY why I sold my U3011. When I use my PC mostly for gaming, why would I need a huge expensive monitor when by this time next year I'll have an Oculus Rift.

I downgraded to a LG 29EB93 - a 29" Ultra Wide IPS monitor. It has lower power draw than my U3011, still gives me a huge horizontal persepective, gives me much higher fps (2.5 vs 4mp) AND looks better because it doesn't have Dells anti glare coating on it. The cherry on the cake was that it costs half the price, and the £250 I saved, is going directly onto my Rift.

Sure, the OR won't be perfect for all game types, but the above monitor + rift combo for the same price as a U3011 just makes far, far more sense.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know. 2 people at worked (well more than that, but 2 in the office I work with) went to a convention where we display our product, and they tried Oclus Rift and both said it was garbage. They use cellphone screen to get the high DPI, and the DPI isn't great, you can see each individual pixel at this distance, and the input lag is very noticeable as you move your head, and lastly, the response time is total crap. One of the guys says it's like yu have Z-Buffer turned on everywhere, creating motion blur everywhere. Smartphone screen are not designed for fast paste content display. Smartphone games don't require them, nor the GUI of the device, and no one complains, so its not improved.

4. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Forgive me but that Oculus rift looks a bit gimmicky. How much is it going to be?

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm sure Oculus Rift will improve considerably over the next few years, so even if it's not perfect now (and few new technologies are perfect on first implementation), it's an exciting prospect for the future.

Not sure I'd be getting rid of my nice monitor just now in anticipation of OR next year, but it's going to be horses for courses :)

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Thanks Parge, I just ordered the LG.
    Your Order
    Product Quantity Price
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    29" LG 29EA93-P IPS LED UltraWide 2 1 £405.95
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Net Total £338.29
    Carriage £9.15
    Total £416.93

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

U2713HM - I think you hit the nail on the head there really. I could end up being wrong, however I think the Oculus Rift will just be a flash-in-the-pan thing and you'll end up wanting to game on a screen again. I love my 2713HM and wouldn't change it for anything :)

Edit: Ninja'd by a decision lol

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Before you talk about rift... put one on connected to a decent box with an nivida card etc and run BlueMarble, then you can talk, it really is impresive, iracing for example, or ghostship aftermath, or low and behold some thing like moon lunar lander... these are just next step in gaming that truely from my heart I really wish that all members here could try at least once for just ten minutes,.

There is a reason i sold my asus 3d screen and kit and so on... why do you think that is, I have been around since speak and spell... comodore 64, jet set willy and so on...

You have to get or try a rift, it really is that different of a change. its not HD /HQ yet but when that happens the whole world is going to go tits up... whole industrys are going to change, big tvs and monitos wont get sold any more because of this...

Trust me I know what im talking about when it comes to IT... I do it to the point of not having a wife nearing 40 years old....

:)

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I ended up swapping some gear to get a 3007WFP-HC earlier in the year. Sure it's an old monitor, but it doesn't have horrid anti-glare coating on it and it makes for a much better experience in game than my old Asus 24" panel.

This is largely redundant though 'cos you've chosen one!

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

The dell 30" are truely wounderfull to be on, they are HUGE.

Im actually pretty pumped for the LG screen now just sitting here feeling it lol, I think its because I am expecting a clear like great movie watching experience on it and its different..

I have not been able to play city car driver for a while now which I was enjoying so Ill be back on the road in game tommorow.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know, the Oclus Rift was seen at their own booth.

If you want a new toy, check out Dell new 24inch 4K display :D
    It's brand new, so it might not be available in the U.K just yet, but, if it's not, expect it in a few weeks.
    Its a high end consumer grade ISP panel, wide gamut, GB-LED backlight and all that jazz, but in 4K.
    And it's fairly inexpensive, only 1300$ US/Canadian when compared to a few before 4K display on a 32inch display (would would think it would be cheaper but nope), 3600$. So Dell really has something there.

And because the screen is 4K in 16:9 aspect ratio, it's 4x 1080p, and also because it's only 24inch size, if you play a demanding game, you can reduce the resolution to 1080p, and it would be like you had a 1080p display.

But I believe it will be over your budget.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2013
  12. Parge

They tried the developer version. The consumer version will have a much higher resolution. Definitely read this:

No final pricing yet, maybe £250 - £300? Its is very much not 'a bit gimmicky' - having tried it, it is something that will change the way we experience certain types of games forever.

In fact the opposite is true, after gaming on the Oculus, you'll never want to game on a screen again, well, I don't.

By the way, just so you know, the EA93 has a fixed stand, whereas the EB is movable.

13. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I hope it does Parge. Bit pricey for me though, will see how it is when released!

14. Parge

For Rainbowbridge, I did an 'impressions' post of the EB93 when I first got it here

I've reposted it below for you.

I've just downgraded from a 30" Dell to a 29" LG EB93-P 21:9 monitor.

Reason being - I didn't want to spend hundreds on GPUs to get 60fps and max settings in all games. I think the best way to approach this huge issue is a simple Pros and Cons list. Hopefully it'll help you out.

Dell U3011 (and other large screen 16:9/16:10 monitors).

Pros:
    Loads of desktop real estate for stuff that isn't gaming
    99.9% of games support this res out of the box
    2560 width gives you a great field of view
    IPS colours and viewing angles!

Cons
    Massive res = unless you have a beastly (read: expensive) setup most games will have to be run with reduced details. I run a hugely OC'd GTX 670 and at 1600p I'd get about 50fps at 'high' in BF3 with small dips.
    HUD elements (in BF3 for example) aren't directly in your field of view as they are in 1080p panels. Even modifying the .ini files to bring in the HUD still leaves them quite a distance from your eyeline.
    Only 60hz panels are available if you want IPS

29" Ultra widescreen monitors

Pros
    Great 2560 width means you get a great field of view
    Almost universal support for 21:9 in AAA games
    Only requires GPU to push 2.5MP (vs 4 of 1440/1600p). Using a Oc'd GTX 670 I get 80-90fps in BF3 at Ultra settings (using FXAA instead of MSAA). This means gaming is gorgeously fluid.
    HUD elements are easily within line of sight due to the 1080p vertical resolution
    Great for watching 21:9 content (such as the latest Star Citizen Hornet Commercial!)
    IPS colours and viewing angles!

Cons
    Not all games support 21:9 aspect ratios or 2560*1080. The ones that don't fall into 3 categories - old, indie or beta. If you only play games in those categories then best to avoid (though the 29EB93 supports 1:1 pixel mapping so just I just play in 1080P).
    You lose vertical resolution - not a problem in games really, but some people may prefer 16:9/10)
    No 120hz Panels

I can't help you with 120Hz panels really I'm afraid matey, as I've never used one. The reason this was never a option for me is that I love the colour and clarity of IPS panels, and feel that because they are TN and usually only 1080p, the price for 120Hz panels is too high, and thats before you've got a GPU setup capable of pumping out 120fps. Maybe my opinion would be changed if I used one, buts its not something I'm willing to take the risk on.

That aside, I can confidently say you'll be massively happy with either a 27/30" or a 29" setup for gaming, depending on which of the above pro's and con's you consider your priorities. Let me know if you have any other questions etc.

15. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Parge, that LG is it gloss screen?

16. Parge

Nope, its Matte.

17. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

thanks mate, I am really interested in getting one and using my 2711 for more office based work and then this for gaming.

18. The Bear

The Bear What's a Dremel?

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Parge, do LG sell a matching 1080p screen? For my Star Citizen setup I'm looking in to a 21:9 monitor as the main, flanked by two 1080p screens. This would result in an awesome amount of horizontal space...

However, they need to line up and have the same basic panels.

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How the hell do you actually control a game with the Rift though when you can't see the keyboard? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I just can't get my head around what games will actually be suitable for it?