1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Silen Flux

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Egami, 9 Sep 2013.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Hmm... I have to say, frosting tubing and res might be a bit overkill... But I've never exactly been a fan of the frosted circles thing so I'm a tad biased.

Frosting the tubing alone sounds like A good idea, as long as you don't mind losing the jet-black coolant look. It would make it more of a flat black were the tubes frosted. Two, that stands to be ALOT of repetetive and monotonous work.

2. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

When the frosted circles initially came out I have to admit I didn't exactly feel thrilled either - but having seen so many awesome builds since... I dunno, maybe it's the Stockholm syndrome kicking in or something but I find myself quite liking the look these days.

With so many mystery issues currently afflicting the red based mayhems products, I decided to stick with clear / white till they get sorted out, or at least someone comes up with a non-guesswork reason as to why it's happening (and how to counter it). Oddly enough I don't mind the odd patch of monotonous work as long as there's something interesting to observe - like the sanding pattern... :lol:

...and if I didn’t need a straight jacked before, after today’s plumbing yoga session I’m totally ready for one. I hate to admit it but I came this close to having an honest to god hissy fit with the shinies and the camera and everything today. Thank god for beer.

Below the most workable solutions so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s not EK’s fault but their somewhat inconsistent threading starts really worked to hamstring most of my custom plumbing ideas. Ah well. I’ll still go and have a look for thinner o-rings at some point as I’m a stubborn fcuk and feel like pursuing my secret mad plumbing idea.

Anyways... I swapped the cables around today till it felt like I didn’t even know my name anymore.
    So far the only thing I can say for certain is that white edged options are out as they look like someone forgot to add the edge cables. Oh, and I managed to invent a working routing for them. No space for nifty offsetting sadly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you have it, loose wires all over. :lol:

Thanks for watching!

Last edited: 20 Jan 2014
  3. siliconfanatic

Sad to hear You couldn't pursue the offset wires idea- was a really innovative idea, really.

What are you using? Hard or flexible tubing?

If you go for pastel you should be a-ok... To my best knowledge their lineup doesn't react with acrylic tubing. Hell, no coolants do, IIRC... If they do I'll be mighty confused.

4. Egami

Not enough space for the offsetting sadly. :sigh: Will make sure to have some proper fun in the next build though ;)

Going to go for hard acrylic. It seems that the issue is not with the tubing this time but either with the rads or the ph of the water and people are consistently seeing their red turning dirty motor oil orange, and the black rather unsightly shades of brown. Fortunately (if so can be said) it seems to be limited to red based shades and white pastel and other colours continue to work just fine.

5. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

EPIC STUFF!!!!!!! Reaaaaaally liking this thus far. Subbed for MOAR!!! :)

6. siliconfanatic

Hmm... You might just be right... The dyes must be reacting with the tubing... The only way to prevent this would be to introduce some sort of chemical inhibitor, or finding another dye for the coolant... Problem is finding a suitable one for this scenario. Hopefully you're right about it being limited to red/ white pastel. :blah:

7. Egami

And moar there will be! Just about to raid the local hardware store for o-rings in the name of Mario bros!

From what I've gathered they're reacting with the tiny amounts of residual gunk / oxidised copper in people's rads and losing the red pigment. :( Tubing on the another hand seems to have finally stopped being the issue following the introduction of primochill's advanced lrt.
    It sure is a strange world this watercooling business. :lol:

8. siliconfanatic

:rolleyes:Indeed it is!

9. Egami

Right. Here's the final plumbing plan, courtesy of many many many wonderful o-rings. :dremel:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if anyone's actually done this before but I figured it would be nifty to plumb between the cards.

Merry Christmas everyone!

10. Egami

The reason I’m showing you these is because you’ll otherwise never believe me when I tell you that no, I didn’t just dump the drives at the bottom of the case and call it a day. The little envelopes, or balconies, or enclosures are concept designs on many levels; from technique to design, and as such far from perfect (or even pretty). But they work.
    Knowing my ocd with these things it’s likely that I make new ones later but...

It was Christmas folks! And I got presents! So forget your awezum uber 62’’ tv:s and look at the ickle little thing I got - and not from just anyone, but from a real honest to god woman!

[​IMG]

The best thing since the black and white fire blanket Santa brought me last year, I tell you!

Anyways... That little bench vice gave me the perfect excuse to let my inner mad scientist run amok. It was time to test the mettle of the foul smelling acrifix against the diy milling machine I had managed to turn my dremel into.

[​IMG]

First: Create some strange looking bits and bobs from unsuspecting leftover acrylic.

[​IMG]

Second: Mill them down to size of ~8 x 3 x 12mm nuggets and nod approvingly at the foul glue keeping everything from breaking into million little bits and darting at destructive velocities around the room.

[​IMG]

Test fitting. Nothing like having some acrylic dust on your ssd in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

Some sanding and further gluing later: The finished product!
    ...I can already see about million things I might have wanted to change and perfect but it works and the SSD slides effortlessly in and out without any grief with screws or sticky things to keep it in place. Call it my humble take on the tool-less drive enclosure if you will. :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the HDD.
    The main reason behind its somewhat fugly looks is that I made the parts before Christmas / New Year / buggering off to some distant counties and of course took care not to make any notes what so ever as to what I had made them for. So when I got back I had a pile of parts, went ?¿? and glued them all together only to remember that ahhhhh THAT was what I had in mind (very different from the pictured outcome). But then the glue had already dried and I was left with a working albeit less than gorgeous acrylic HDD envelope thingy. Ah well, teaches me to make notes in the future.

[​IMG]

And that’s where the drives will be placed; on the inside of the front cover plate. The initial plan was to have them at the back behind the mobo tray as part of the cable management arrangement but that changed with the revised tubing plan. The odd blue hue in the picture is from the protective plastic over the acrylic.
    The envelopes will be secured with velcro, making them as easily removable as the drives inside them. I’m also hoping that this with the soft velcro lining of the HDD’s casing will keep any resonating attempts from the drive from transferring into the case.

[​IMG]

Now just need the EK DDC heatsink housing to arrive and we can get cracking on the plumbing for real. Thanks for watching!

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Looking good Egami, a nice simple design in a less is more kinda way :D

12. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

:duh: Double posting

Last edited: 17 Jan 2014
  13. craig - toyoracer

Picture or it's not so. :lol:

Great writing mate. :thumb: always brings a smile. :)

Nice enclosures for the drives, though the HDD may get a tad warmy. :lol:

Last edited: 17 Jan 2014
  14. Egami

Thanks Asouter! I'm thinking of adding some small detailing to the revised casing but find myself struggling to find the right pattern(s).

I asked her but she said no :( Guess I'll have to give her the bad news later today and inform her of her cancelled existence :D

I'm sharing your HDD heat concerns. Then again they don't tend to get much love in those portable acrylic casings either, not to mention laptops? Hmm. I'm thinking about adding some ventilation in form of detailing but coming up with a non-dorky pattern seems just impossible right now :sigh:

15. Egami

Sorry for the picture downtime guys, not sure what exactly happened but dropbox decided to suspend my public links "for generating excessive traffic". Working to fix the problem as soon as possible.

16. marasm

marasm What's a Dremel?

Maximum PC posted a link on Facebook to this build log. Everyone in the universe promptly clicked it. Dropbox flipped it's nut.

Absolutely gorgeous work, dude. I wish I had the tools, time, money, and skills to do this stuff. Sadly I only have the time.

Egami likes this.
  17. Egami

Oh wow... Was totally unaware of that. Thanks for putting me back on the map Marasm!

And thanks Maximum PC and everyone visiting! Couldn't have hoped for a better reason for the crash!

P.S. Should the pics vanish again in the future, just throw me a PM and I'll do what ever I can to fix things asap. :dremel:

18. Egami

Right. Acknowledging the HDD temps issue, I went and finally took the time to learn sketchup. Good news is that the revised models I made were accepted by the 3D printer. However... the printer broke down and instead of new drive enclosures gave me this.

[​IMG]

Seriously... :wallbash:

Last edited: 25 Jan 2014
  19. craig - toyoracer

Hope you get the 32D printer working, this is looking interesting. :)

20. siliconfanatic

Wow... that's a rather impressive screwup on the printer's part...

Always good to see another printer in the ranks!

G0UDG, YEHBABY and Teelzebub like this.