1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Ahh, actually never headed down that way. Tend to go more towards Box Hill Surrey way or North East towards Essex. You in Bigfoot.cc? I need to get into a club in the New Year.

Edit: Eye candy for the new page

[​IMG]

6.5kgs once I'd popped a chain and cassette on.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2013
    fuus likes this.
  2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'm not currently. I'm thinking I might join up in the summer. I have a mate who joined this year and really enjoys it.

Another mate lives on box hill and I have to say the cycling around there does look pretty great. Not been towards Essex though.

Also that bike is awesome.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Can anyone recommend a £1000 26" hardtail bike for cross country / some road riding? I quite like the look of the Orange crush but it is 27.5".

fuus likes this.
  4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Any reason why you don't want 27.5? If it rides great and does what you want does it matter?

As far as a £1k 26" bike though the Trek Elite 8.7, On-one have the Inbred, 456, and 456 Carbon all available in various builds for around £1k and get decent reviews.

Depending on how much time you'll be on the road, have you considered a cyclocross type bike?

5. longweight

I will go and give one a try but I like my bikes to be twitchy so I would prefer 26". I will definitely consider 27.5 though.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I will have another look around :)

I definitely do not want a cyclocross bike.

Is anyone looking to sell a 26" dirt bike for 2-300 GBP?

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The practical difference between a '26in' bike and a '650b' bike is 1cm, the fork on a 650b is 1cm taller, the bb is 1cm lower. In practice, you can think of a 650b bike as a 26er with more marketing hype.

While we're at it, outer width of your wheel varies wildly depending on the brand and size of tyre fitted. A 26in rim is really 559mm (almost exactly 22in) , whilst a 650b is 584 (22.9in), then the tyre you fit makes up the difference, it's pretty simple to make a 26in wheels bigger than most 650b wheels by fitting a 2.4 Conti tyre to it. A lot of the 650b tyres coming out on new bikes are pumping up small for clearance reasons too.

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry about 650b, it's just arbitrary newness, doesn't ride any different.

7. longweight

I will investigate :) Thanks for the information!

8. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

That's very very nice! I love Rittes...
    Weight Weenies for the win!

9. longweight

This is the base of my new bike :D

[​IMG]

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

What are you going to use the bike for?

While I'm here, I'm going to post this in the Marketplace soon, I'll have some FSA bits for sale, seatpost, stem and carbon bars, maybe a Saint rear mech and a pair of Rock Shox Revelation forks if anyone is interested.

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Interested in the Bars, Mech & forks depending on the model.

Just about to buy an old Full sus Focus and it needs some upgrades, will be asking for rear shock recommendations soon :).

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

It will be used for trail riding mainly. Nothing rocky, but quite often muddy. So I don't see the need for a full suspension, I prefer hard tails.

14. Cookie Monster

Bars
    Saint Mech
    Rockshox Revelation 426

As for rear shocks, I've only ever had 2 full sus, the first ran a Fox Float R, my current Slash 8 runs a Fox CTD tuned by Trek, I'd pick Fox everyday, even more so now that I've afforded to upgrade my bikes to Fox Forks too.

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My new lid arrived today

[​IMG]

As well as a new SLX Mech

[​IMG]

Also had some fork oil, new BB for the trainer bike and a headset

Summers going to be fun!

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Nice bits! I like your lid! mine is awful haha, it's pink and green. Doesn't go with any of my gear which is all orange or blue. Rarely wear the full face helmet, though going to need it in wales end of feb.

Gonna be bike park wales on 28th Feb if anyone wants to get involved and come ride.

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I was looking at Fox they do have some nice gear, I read up about tuning the rear shock to suit your riding style although I don't really have much of a style yet unless crashing into stuff counts lol.

Let me know how much you want for the mech & the fork

18. Cookie Monster

I'm gonna have to pull the forks from a bike and measure the steerer, I think it's been cut quite short.

Anyway,

Today was a bit of a slow day in the shop, so I make this, if you exclude the GoPro and Helmet which we already had, it cost £2.49 for a pair of castors and £3 for a 3ft curtain pole.

[​IMG]

19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Cheers dude, just let me know whats been done, I've not started building yet just accumulating parts.

This weekends task is to replace the crank, bottom bracket and brake levers on my Onsie :), the only thing that is original is the Frame lol which has been resprayed so not sure it counts :p.

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Dragged my backside of bed today been feeling terrible since about Friday decided to try an bolt on the new rear mech, i did but it took me about half an hour of staring at it to get my head round the chain routing my head was that fuzzy. Needless to say ive not set it up its just on there for now.

I did how ever get my new fork on which is a full Kilo lighter and feels much nicer under compression. Its a Fox 32 F100 RL series from the markings, pristine bar some rubbing on the decals which doesn't bother me. Only thing that worried me was how close the rotor runs to the mount of the fork ive slight distortion in the rotor and you can just hear it brushing. Is that normal? ive not had a post mount before but on my IS mount there was a fair amount of space.

[​IMG]