1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Snow Dragon, BitFenix Shinobi XL

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by OcSurfe, 2 Jan 2014.

1. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Hey Guys and Girls, Time for another case mod!

I am back! I have been very busy recently with work and reviewing, but I have been wanting to get another mod done since i49. Having spoken with a few friends at Parvum and E22, along with some contacts at MSI, I wanted to do the biggest and most intricate build that I have done to date.

As with the guys over at Parvum, the bits that I have been sponsored are components that I have used in previous builds along with some new bits which have been review samples that companies have been kind enough to allow me to keep. None of this has been given to myself just for the build, some of the parts I have had to buy myself, so please do not think I have had a free ride getting this build done.

This project will be the first ever full size case mod that I have done for myself. It will feature a full size ATX board in and multiple GPUs. This will also have some custom acrylic work done to the exterior and internals of the case, this will be some of the last bits to get done, but the plan is to have everything finished before iSeries in April.

This is just a small breakdown of what I know at this moment in time what is needed for the build. This will be an evolving list so do expect some of these bits to change.

1 X 120mm Radiators
    2 x 360mm Radiators
    14 x 120mm Fans
    1 x Haswell i7 CPU
    1 X ATX Motherboard
    3 X GPUs
    2 X D5 Pumps
    6 X SSD

As for the watercooling in this build, it is still to be decided. With so many options for radiators and waterblocks, I have yet to make my mind up. Justin at Parvum, has managed to convince me to go for the new XSPC AX360 Radiators in White, which have been ordered and I will be doing some testing to see how they stack up compared to the white Alphacool 360 Monsta that I currently have. I am also debating whether to use acrylic or standard tubing, but this will not be decided until the end of the build.

Here are a few quick pictures I have been taken of the preliminary fit. This will be a slow build with the aim on there being one or two updates a week.

The next thing I am planning to do is to spray the fans a dark red to tie in with the red on the motherboard, what are your views on this?

Stay tuned, subscribe to the thread and enjoy!

Thanks,

James

[​IMG]
    screenshot software

[​IMG]
    image url

[​IMG]
    image share

[​IMG]
    how to screenshot on windows

[​IMG]
    photo sharing sites

2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Nice start mate. Now do some more!

3. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

I will be soon enough buddy now I have some days off. I'll send you a text later about popping over.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

My views are paint the accents on the board white.

1. It will be a lot more original and
    2. It will be a lot less work.

2 ? well that's your call but personally red + black = yes. Red + white = no.

5. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

With regards to this, painting the motherboard, or the heatsinks are out of the question.
    Initially it was my intention to have them white, but it just would not look good with the black PCB, ideal world would be white PCB like the HOF cards, but not an option. Also, this board has been sponsored by MSI and they want it to be kept as it is, I did mention that I wanted to paint the heatsinks. Personally, red and black has been overdone. Red and White does look good, what you have to remember is that there is more custom sleeving and acrylic going into this as well, the red is going to be more of a secondary color than an accent.