1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Aerocool Dead Silence Cube Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 30 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Even then, the microphone you've linked to has an absolutely minimum noise floor of 12dBA - which isn't going to help much if you're trying to differentiate between two sound-proofed cases, both of which are below 10dBA at pre-set distance.
    I was specifically thinking of the fan being inside a case and the monitor outside, rather than being right next to the bare fan - as we're in the comment thread for a case review, rather than a fan review. There are fans which claim a sub-10dBA noise level - the Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro, for example, claims 9dBA - but I'd take that with a pinch of salt - although, as we've established, it's not like I've got the gear to question a given manufacturers' claims in that regard.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well yea the mic i linked to has a noise floor of around 10/12 dBA, but you don't need to go much lower than that as even cases marketed as being silent/quiet such as the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 push out around 22dBA @ 1M

EDIT: Just to add you are spot on when you say about taking a pinch of salt with manufacturers claims for noise, a similar fan to the one you mention the BlackSilentPro is the NB-eLoop with a rating of 8dBA when in fact its closer to 14dBA.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2014
  3. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Ok built my PC into the case now.

Few things which I'm going to bring up immediately.

If you are installing a modular PSU (Corsair AX850 in my case) you may want to invest in a rubber mallet, because it is an unbelievably tight fit. Took me nearly 2 hours to get the damn thing into position with the cables installed.

And, I'm not even going to bother taking it into work to get a reading on the stock fans, as they are ridiculously loud (louder than the fans that come stock with the Corsair H50/70), and reducing the fan speed just makes things worse.

Edit:

Also discovered that if you have have a 240mm rad in the top with the fans in push / pull you cannot set them up as intake, because then the top panel cannot be locked into place as it pushes a tab of plastic into the fan blades.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2014
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I always assume any given manufacturer is lying to me, and as a result I'm rarely disappointed. 14 hour battery life on that laptop? I'll be assuming seven, then. 500Mb/s sustained throughput on those HomePlugs? Feh, if you can hit 100Mb/s I'll be satisfied. 7dBA noise level? So long as I can't hear it when it's under my desk, you can use whatever numbers you like.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Thanks for the review - I bought this very case on the strength of it and, having lived with it for a little while, I thought I'd share some observations.

The PCI bracket lock is actually pretty sturdy, and the best example of a single locking bracket I've seen - they're often poorly implemented on OEM PCs and the like. I also disagree that the front I/O cables are too long - they are almost perfect for routing around the edges to keep them out of sight of the window, although I do agree that they should have been sleeved - that ought to be a minimum standard on all windowed cases.

I didn't find the side panels difficult to remove, but I did share your mild irritation at the lack of handle or finger hole, or whatever, when trying to remove the solid roof panel; until it dawned on me that I could just poke it from underneath.

I don't know if they have changed the spec since the review date but, contrary to what the review states, the front external drive cages can be removed separately. So you can fit a longer GFX card without losing your optical drive, although if you plan on fitting a 240mm radiator in the roof, you will be limited to 30mm thickness if you want to keep your DVD drive.

The DS Cube's aircooling prowess isn't all that - but then the rear 120mm fan is crap, and the front mounted 200mm fan isn't great (but is very quiet); although you'll definitely have to change it if you plan on mounting a 200mm rad behind the front fascia.

Overall though, I love this case - the fit and finish is very pleasing and, with a little thought, it's possible to build a very tidy and compact system inside. I'm tempted to get back into watercooling and throw a couple of rads in there.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2014
Tags: Add Tags