1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod of the Year 2013

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Dec 2013.

?

Which are your favourite three mods of 2013?

1. B2 by Gtek

35 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. CosmosII the privilege by Corsaronero333

30 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Flightline by slipperyskip

28 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. Guilty by kier

54 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. GwassGween by Cheapskate

47 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. Imagination - CM Storm Trooper Mod by adamski07

10 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. L3p - Parvum by l3p

28 vote(s)
    13.5%
  8. Junior by WoodGuy

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Midlag Crisis by Waynio

21 vote(s)
    10.1%
  10. Model 01 by Andreas | Brodholm

32 vote(s)
    15.4%
  11. Project N.V. by p0Pe

42 vote(s)
    20.2%
  12. Project 180 by Meelobee

19 vote(s)
    9.1%
  13. Revelation by quizz_kid

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  14. The Samurai Sacrileguim by abbas-it

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  15. Cosmos II- Skyline GT-R by Ronnie Hara

32 vote(s)
    15.4%
  16. TARDIS Gaming Computer by RebootTech

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  17. The Dark Shining Star by Sassanou

17 vote(s)
    8.2%
  18. The microprocessor by Ace_finland

32 vote(s)
    15.4%
  19. The Golden Wet Pi by Phame

18 vote(s)
    8.7%
  20. Vesper by Maki role

22 vote(s)
    10.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Nexxo, I'm finding it hard to express my point clearly. I've tried several times to form analogies to explain but end up wrapping myself up and getting turned around and end up deleting the whole thing to start again, so rather than go on a misguided rant I'll wait until I feel I can explain further more clearly.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Voted all great builds, Nice to see some not water cooled for a change have to admit water cooling is getting a bit meh seems everyone and their dog does it now :rolleyes:

What happens to these builds after? do these people have shed loads of cases etc that never gets used again?

3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Congratulations to everyone nominated.

It's no secret I'm a scratch build fan with no interest in WC at all and not into the "boy's toys" style! So it'll come as no surprise I voted for 3 scratch builds. For me they start from nothing, no box from which to grow, no limit except your own imagination and often end up bearing no resemblance to a PC at all :thumb: It's the design, execution and ultimate aesthetics that are important, not the ooh shiny hardware inside ;)

So my votes go to:

Vesper by Maki role, Junior by WoodGuy and finally Guilty built by kier and designed Nate George, AKA Editor22 - yeah, I know it's WC but the design (for a WC build) just did it for me :clap:

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

This.

It doesnt help when a few get it in to their heads that they are some sort of modding messiah that think like they speak for us all.

Personally,MOTM rigs should all go forward into the MOTY....

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree with these comments as I certainly feel that my contributions are personal opinions and that they are rarely welcome should they differ from the general consensus.

To me the term 'Mod' is an abbreviation of the word 'modification' and I do not understand how a 'scratch build' can be classed as a modification. What exactly has been modified when you had nothing to start with?

6. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I think the last seven or so pages shows that there is no general consensus. We all have our opinions and on some levels they may be similar but on others they can be completely different.

This argument has come up many times before. It's generally accepted that the term 'modding' or 'mod' also means to build from scratch.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I wonder what you mean by "welcome". Just because some people disagree with your opinions does not mean you're not allowed to express them. But others are equally allowed to challenge them.

8. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Agreed.

My take on the whole sponsorship thing is that people that dont have to spend the money on hardware have a greater budget for doing the enclosure,hence the profusion of CNC parts/mills appearing.
    Nothing to stop anyone buying a £400 eBay special and doing it yourself tho......I can see a desktop mill in my future for sure.

There needs to be a demarcation line between the corporate sponsored stuff and the community 'bought and paid for' rigs if only for a sense of fairness,I mean how many of these heavily sponsored rigs would of been modded they way they have if the components had to be bought? Those that sit there and mock others for the limited way they have done stuff,saying its not modding unless they have altered everything in the box need to get a grip.

I used to knock OCN for charging for buildlogs that are sponsored and denying them MOTM access,I can see why they do it now. You get a better community driven log section,where its all done at a user level.

Either way,sponsorship and CNC are here to stay,we just need to reward the users rather than corporate budget spenders. Do it with your votes,dont want CNC ruling the roost? Then dont vote for it in builds. Sick of corporate sponsorships? Dont Vote for the sponsored rigs.

Its really as easy as that.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I agree entirely with this - people should be voting for the mods that they like using whatever criteria they think are appropriate. So all of those who don't like the profusion of heavily sponsored builds or CNC builds can vote for other mods that espouse whatever modding ethos they prefer. Similarly, however, those who don't really care whether a mod is sponsored or uses an expensive production process are entirely free to vote for whichever mods they like.

At the end of the day, MOTY is voted for by those who actually, you know, vote. So if you have strong opinions on this sort of thing, get out there and vote for your favourites. As of this post, there have been just over 150 voters and the thread has nearly 8,000 views (obviously not all unique viewers, but the point still stands).

That said, I've not voted yet, but that's because I've not had enough time to look over all of the entries. I'll be voting soon though :D

10. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Thank you for the nomination and congratulations all that were.

Abit shocked that people think it shouldn't be there along with Vesper. :( [Bah humbug]

Arrhh well i'm still happy you guys enjoyed the Wet Pi's journey as I did. :)

Good news it still going strong! :D

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The debate between CNC, scratch build and sponsored builds will rage for ever. I put a thread up about it a few years ago and as always opinions varied. Its been thrown out there in the past about splitting them all up in the MOTY, but when all is said and done if people vote for what they like that is what will win.. Simple as that.

One thing have learned is that you don't have to throw vast amounts of cash at a build for it to look good, I know a lot of people do and having all the latest hardware is great, that doesn't automatically mean it will win a MOTM prize or the MOTY. For me modding is a hobby and a past time that I enjoy. if I ever picked up a bit of sponsorship on the way then that would be great. But I work with in my budget (most of the time) and if a few people like what I am doing then thats even better.

The way I see it, is when the fun side has gone and it gets to competitive, as it does for some people then is no longer worth the effort.

12. jackjack

jackjack What's a Dremel?

Voted, Voted and Voted ^_^
    Awesome build guys! and Good Luck!

13. bundymania

bundymania Bastelorakel Industries Worldwide

Outstanding builds !! :)

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Very, very difficult choice, narrowing down to three! My word, they are all worthy. Very distinctive. Still, I've made my choices - best of luck to all!

15. Pirra

Pirra What's a Dremel?

Woow man you really have a high quality level in this contest

My vote goes for Cheapskate, i really like his project.

16. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

GwassGween is my FAV!

BTW, the winner will receive a 240GB SSD from Me!!:clap:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

TGS is at it again.:lol: You are awesome. -and thanks for the vote.
    Thanks to Pirra too.:D

18. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Indeed! Very nice gesture satan. :clap:

And Cheaps, you're looking good for the final judging. Good luck. :thumb:

19. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Well done by all for the great builds this year. :thumb:

Took a while to go through the list but picks are in. :D

Modding is about having a vision and then creating it. These builds have done that, congratulations to all. :)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sowwy about that, I'm back. :lol:

Pwobably Attilas post & some others that did the twick along with the sewious tone fwom cheaps which is so out of chawacter. :D

Yes, quite mentally exhausted & couldn't be bothered doing a silly wamble which had become as much of a part of MOTY as awesome pwojects. :hehe:

Tags: Add Tags