1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any R290 owners yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 10 Nov 2013.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

It's quite straightforward, especially in an 800D. I used to have my watercooled rig in one of those. I had a 360mm radiator in the top and I removed the lower drive cage, cut a hole in the bottom and ran a 240mm radiator down there. I liked that setup a lot.

Installing your first loop can be a bit daunting, but once you know what's what it becomes a doddle.

2. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

I currently have my CPU only cooled with a 120mm and a 240mm Rad. Did it that way with the intention of adding a gfx card into the loop. Just ordered the rest of the watercooling gear from C and C Central. £143 for the block, back plate and a couple of 45 degree fittings. Also ordered some white hose :D

3. dead beat

Nice. I wish I could do it for that price haha. It's going to cost the best part of £400 to get the blocks, backplates and SLI bridge for mine.

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I wish I could afford to water cool the thing, but that just isn't in the cards ATM. Plus I'm not sure where I would put all of the stuff, seeing as how my Prodigy top mount already has an H100i in it, and the tubes from that block me from putting anything in the front.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You could ditch the h100 (sell it on) and replace with a setup that would hold the gpu and cpu in series.

6. dead beat

What Sandys said.

It's probably not so bad with a single card anyway. The stock cooler can deal with the heat, it just makes some noise doing so. With the aggressive fan profile that I have had to add to my cards to stop the throttling, the racket that they produce is frankly an absolute joke. My rig sounds like a 747 preparing for take off when it's at full chat. Headphones are essential for gaming until the blocks go on.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

How does the audio thing work? Is it only on the HDMI output?

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's hardly lowend with triple channel ram etc. :D Good score couple of hundred points more than mine when I tried single card, though that was with a lower gpu clock and on initial borked BIOS on its air coolers, I should try it again when its not in bits on the office floor :D

Now pop in a second it scales well

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1229499

Edit - just realized you have an 290x, I have a 290, oops

Last edited: 22 Dec 2013
  10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Sweet :thumb:

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if its not relevant to you R290 owners.

A new picture of the Hawaii core seems to show some of the compute units are disabled. So does this mean AMD may have room for an even faster card ? http://www.hardware-360.com/amd-hawaii-die-shot-shows-unused-streaming-processors-3072-sps-in-total/

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Nice little overview of 290 Crossfire and 780/TI SLI scalability across many games and resolutions here for those that way inclined, tri and quad tested.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That guy has A LOT of graphics cards.

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Ditto!

Shame for AMD they didn't get cracking with their frame pacing @ 4k. Whoops!

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Jesus sli is awful in bf4. I knew it had it's problems but that's ridiculous!

16. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

had an issue with my dabs order and was mis-picked on my R9 290X i received an sapphire version instead of the MSI version i ordered but would like some advice on the matter tho they have offered me a refund or exchange via RMA i secured the card for £385 which was a great deal.

Now its a beast of a card and visuals are insane but i am concern by the heat also the noise its really noisey when im running any game BF4 after 10mins its like a jet engine so much that the other half tells me its too noisey on other side of the room and "is it normal?" she says

So im not sure if to cut my losses if so i have a 400 quid budget for a replacement. GTX 780? or two 280X XFIRE? or just to fit a custom cooler?

17. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I have to say I am very disappointment and I was put off these cards after reading every post in this thread trying to form an opinion, I've had AMD gpu's and cpu's but I couldn't "pull the trigger" as someone said and buy one based on the very honest reports of those that bought them, shame as I'm no nvidia fan boy but I just didn't feel confident about the cards especially after reading about inconsistent performance of some gpu's and I really wanted one :wallbash:

I don't wish to offend anyone and I applaud and respect those that have the courage of their convictions to try new tech and the choice of a GTX 780 or two 280X XFIRE is obviously yours but I just bought a MSI GeForce GTX 780 Twin Frozr OC - 3GB for £389, (scan) there is roughly only a 10% performance difference between the 780 and the Titan for a lot less money and the 780 is cool and hence quiet.

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I decided on a 770 in the end. I figured that since third party coolers are still a little way off, and I'm only going to be at 1080 for the foreseeable future anything over last generation's flagships will be overkill.

With the money saved I have doubled my RAM as well :)

And I did this too :D

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  19. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Yes that as well, third party coolers might fix the issues but if not my allegiance certainly won't stretch to w/cooling just to get a cooler/quiet card, I don't have any wc components so buying them on top of the card price would completely defeat the point of buying these bang for bucks cards :sigh:

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nice. The 770 is a good card - which one did you get?

I know this should be in the Mech Keyboard thread, but potato pic please. Thanks :)