1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Swees 5.0 Anrdoid phone. A quick look.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 5 Jan 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Don't have time to do a full in depth review, but felt obliged to give it a mention. Recently I ordered a Swees 5.0 from Ebay for £59. It's this phone here.

[​IMG]

Phone specs.

OS Version Android 4.2.2
    CPU MTK MT6577
    Processor
    Dual-Core 1.3GHz ARMv7 Processor(VFPv3,NEON)

Memory 4GB ,Micro SD Card Can Support Up to 32GB
    RAM
    512MB

Network SIM1:Unlocked WCDMA 850/2100MHz
    SIM2: Unlocked GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    Display
    5.0-inch IPS Wide Viewing Angle HD Screen

Display Resolution 854 X 480
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
    Camera 8.0 Megapixel Rear Camera + 1.9 Megapixel Front-Facing Camera
    Bluetooth Yes
    GPS Yes (but need to use wifi or GPRS to support is )
    Gravity Sensor G-sensor V-sensor
    Google Play Yes you can download thousands of APP from android market
    FM Radio Yes
    Audio Out Port 3.5mm
    Sim Card Slot Dual Sim Dual Standby
    Video Supporting MP4, FLV, AVI, RM, RMVB etc
    Audio MP3,WMA,MP2,OGG,AAC,M4A,MA4,FLAC,APE etc.
    Ebook Support TXT, DOC etc. format electronic text reading
    Input Android Standard / Android Keyboard
    Available Colors Grey
    size 146mm*73mm*9mm
    Net Weight 148g
    Talk Time Up to 4 hours
    Battery Rechargeable Li-ion battery 2280 MAH
    Language English / French / Spanish / German / Italian.Etc
    What's in the Box

1 * White android phone
    1 * Power adapter (100-240V 50/60Hz)
    1 * Earphones
    1 * Rechargeable Li-ion battery
    1 * Phone to USB cable
    1 * User manual - English

Now I've done my best to take some photos but sadly it's very dark here today darn sarf. Here is what you get in the package.

[​IMG]

It's pretty much your standard mobile phone fare. One set of headphones, a phone and a box. I will say though that unlike some of the other Chinese devices I've bought this one does have a nice sturdy box and packing.

Now I'm a bit of a believer in these cheap Chinese electronics tbh. I mean yes, they're nowhere near the quality of expensive devices but then they're nowhere near the price either. This time however? I truly feel that the phone more than belies the price.

The phone is nice and heavy and boasts a stainless steel frame. It also boasts a brushed stainless steel back panel which adds to the weight making this feel like a really nice quality product. Once booted up the phone greets you with the standard Android screen.

[​IMG]

I figured I would do the acid test and download some of the high end games. Usually with cheap devices like this one the CPU usually falls on its face. However, imagine my surprise when I started downloading these games and the phone took care of them rather easily. Here I am happily playing The Simpsons.

[​IMG]

The phone can also run games like Trials Extreme 3 with no problems at all.

After a bit of digging I realised the the phone was made by Soaye,

http://www.soaye.com/

And after a bit of digging it seems that they are a Vodaphone partner in China.

Overall? absolutely fantastic device for the money. It's as close to a Galaxy Note as you're ever going to get for £59.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Looks pretty good for the money, the only downer for me would be the 512MB RAM, which I don't think is quite enough. Or rather, my sister doesn't find it enough. Her Huawei Y300 with 512MB RAM seems to run out pretty quick unless certain apps are removed and reinstalled every so often and not too many apps are installed.

I find 512 fine on my ZTE Skate though, but then I don't have any background apps, or stuff like facebook (yet it's still got far too little storage space for apps at 100MB).

Would probably be fine for my sort of usage though, would be a tempting upgrade if I actually used my phone, :D

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

For £60 there are loads of handsets about, sadly the low res screen and 512 ram would make me stump up the extra £40 and get a Moto G.

Interesting though non the less :)

4. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Pretty much this, or you could just buy a Galaxy S II as it has virtually identical specs, but more RAM.

5. AlienwareAndy

Extra £40? the Moto G is twice the price. Argos want £139.

Any way whilst I admit the specs of the Moto G are better it's not a 5" phone. It's 4.5".

I've not noticed any RAM problems if I'm honest, and I've downloaded all of the heavy 3D games.

I know the Moto G also has a higher res screen, but on a 5" screen I personally would not notice the difference.

The Galaxy S2 is even smaller, it has a 4.3 inch screen. The res is the same, the price is £150 or more.

This phone is comparable to the Galaxy Note and that sells used on Ebay for £170 and up.

So whilst I'm completely aware that these phones are better in spec, my point is that you would not notice it in day to day use.

6. IXON

IXON What's a Dremel?

Moto G is superb smartphone for the price.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Having switched from a Galaxy S2 recently I certainly noticed the difference.

From how snappy applications where to the responsiveness of the phone itself.

At the end of the day it does come down to personal opinion. For me that phone wouldn't be good enough.

The Mothership

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Phone is a phone in the end of the day if it text and talk thats enough for 50% of users.

Personally I could never live with that screen resolution for my own day to day usages. Final Fantasy would be a better test of its performance.

I know a friend has tried most of the cheaper smartphones and battery life is his main issue with them. General facebook + snap chat has his battery below 50% before mid day.

9. defined

defined Botch-Job

I think its got great spec for a £59 phone, is it a good phone? not sure, would have to use one for a few weeks to decide that,

whats the signal been like on it?
    how fast is it loading things from SD cards?
    does it handle HD video?
    Does it explode when dropped?
    how long does it take to take a picture when taking a picture? (my lumia 820 has a slight lag from when the button is pushed)
    Battery life?

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Moto g is 99 in ur hand from tesco. Its the only sub 100 choice :)

11. AlienwareAndy

Signal seems excellent. I'm with O2. Not sure about the loading from the SD card, I guess it's doing that? doesn't seem to be any different to me.

Not tried HD video, but will. Not dropped it nor do I intend to :D

I did use the camera but I must say, it's useless without daylight.

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The other advantages is previously high end phones have great custom ROM support. Desire HD on 4.4 is very nice.

13. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

This, too. Cyanogenmod has been especially kind to the S II, that's for sure. I was running that for a long time before I gave it up for a Nexus 5.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Damn you andy, you've got me looking at them now.

Although some of the specs are confusing me as the listings don't match up to what the actual MTK specs say.

Like this one, which says MTK MT6589 and Dual 1.2GHz, whereas MTK lists the 6589 as a quad core.

Also, specs for yours are 1.3GHz dual 6577, whereas the MTK spec for 6577 is only 1GHz, (guessing they may have OC'd it).

It's a shame that some of the slightly higher powered ones are only 2G and not 3G.

I'd be interested to know what the CPU is listed as in an android sys info app Andy if you've got a spare 5 minutes, especially as I've just found they do a black one.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Moto G is £99 in tesco less if you shop there. Not sure why id risk a chinese phone over it.

MTK spec should be identical maybe they are doing some overclocking of the SOCs.

16. AlienwareAndy

[​IMG]

I ordered the slower 1ghz 2g 4.1. model and got the 1.3ghz 3g 4.2.2 model. From the look of it? they've just changed the ROM, though the more expensive one does tout a 8mp camera instead of a 5mp but tbh the camera is a bit pony any way.

HTH.

17. AlienwareAndy

To be quite fair pretty much all electronic stuff is made in China now any way. You get what you pay for. £30 phone? I could understand. Swees on the other hand have a lot more to risk by putting their branding on it.

From what I can tell the phone is really solid, and good from a quality stand point if that's what you mean? IE - in your hand it feels just as good as any mobile phone of this size.

Soaye are quite a large company, and certainly not some little back street outfit.

[​IMG]

Are their Chinese partners.

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Cheers Andy, 6572 actually looks a better choice than the 6577, half the size and with mali graphics instead of PowerVR (I'm assuming mali is better as most of the newer stuff has that, :D). Sounds like it was quite a special chip at relase.

Just read up on the Moto G too, certainly looks great for £99, but with no sd slot and being £30 odd more, makes it a tougher decision.

Might go for one of these, my monte carlo is starting to annoy me with its tiny 140MB app space, of which nearly all of it is already used before you install anything. Just spent all evening rooting it and trying to remove the orange garbage, but that's only freed up a few MB.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  19. AlienwareAndy

The only thing the phone has struggled with is 3DMARK lol. Well when I say struggled it did run, only at around 10 FPS.

Now if only this sodding Simpsons game would not ruin itself by wanting £69.99 for the Donuts that you so desperately need :D

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I updated Cyanogenmod recently on my s3 and it bricked it! well broke the software :(