1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DayZ Thread (Standalone)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 18 Dec 2013.

1. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Charming ;)

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I thought you had rejected us permanently.

3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

see, now you've gone and made me feel bad :( no one was playing the games i was playing and there were fewer and fewer people about at the times i was; I'd long since got tired of killing on sight in DayZ too but that's all we ever did. I'll hop on ts once i'm back home and see who's about.

I've been enjoying the bits of DayZ standalone i've played, but i can see it quickly ending up exactly the same as the mod once everyone's comfortable with the changes, which would suck :/ hopefully they'll keep adding stuff and mixing it up enough to prevent that, just have to see how it goes.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Fingers crossed, the durability system should shake things up as it becomes fully functional. When a player is hit, their items are also damaged (relating to the area hit, even).

Currently most items still function the same when ruined or damaged. However, the few working ones give a good picture of what to expect. Clothes become cosmetically tattered at "Damaged" status or worse, magazines won't function when "Ruined", weapon sights won't function when "Ruined" and also become cosmetically damaged before then (which actually makes them harder to use). In the future, we're to expect things like shoes wearing out with use and feet getting hurt. The plan is to promote alternate means of bandits getting items. It also suggests that players will be at a somewhat constant search for gear as use wears down their items.

Of course, that doesn't stop the many people with no intention of looting those they shoot. I've already run into the joy of people camping spawn areas, and server hoppers who see any other player as an immediate threat to their precious item collections. But, you take the good with the bad. Just makes peaceful interactions all the more enjoyable.

5. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Alive and kicking with my shitey southern internet Adrock. Sunday morning might be an issue but I'll see what I can do. What's your steam by the way?

I've been trying to play the game a bit more friendly than I did the mod, certainly so far apart from PvP at the airfield I've only met friendlies and had good experiences with people. It seems you kind of have to stay down south for that though. Generally there just isn't enough content and to keep playing for too long, it only takes so long to get great gear and there's no endgame material.

Are you still playing with the ZiiP guys? I've lost the TS password.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

[​IMG]

Mosin bayonet wouldn't let me open cans. Rocket, I'm calling BS.

7. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

but that can has a ring-pull.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

:duh:

It's a bit of humor.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Just purchased, hope it is worth it, when i get the hang of it need to team up also

10. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

So anybody feel like making a new friend? I'm near cherno atm, just got held up and robbed of all my gear so I'm running around naked holding a box of cereal lol.

11. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I've just bought the game haven't installed yet though! Deffo want to join up with everyone

12. NIHILO

NIHILO The Customer isn't always right!

reading things like this made me wish i enjoyed the mod more

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah from what most people said, friendly people were few and far between on the mod... hopefully its better on the standalone...will likely get it come payday and find out

14. NIHILO

NIHILO The Customer isn't always right!

I do have one question: How are the Visuals on the standalone? One major thing that was offputting of the mod was the fact that the game looked almost Blurred at distances like there was a lack of AA, making pretty me mad when i would get 1-shot killed by a guy standing 20 feet infront of me that i simply could not see until he came to loot my corpse.

Was there any visual improvements for the standalone or would I be SOL if I purchased this.

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

The textures are super high rez and overall look great, much better than the mod, maybe just a little off ARMA3 but very close.

You can turn bluring totally off like i have. Distance blur and movement blur.

There are a lot of options in the game at the moment that are redundant but still decrease your performance.

What i recommend for optimal looks and gameplay.

Video Memory: Auto
    The Arma engine sucks at managing graphics ram, and auto basicly just asks the GPU drivers do to it for the engine, and works much better, particularly if you have more than 2GB

Textures: All Normal
    [Makes not difference going higher than this, but you get an FPS drop]

Anti Aliasing: Low
    [Makes not difference going higher than this, but you get an FPS drop]

Alpha To Coverage: Up to you.
    [Personally i only have this set to grass. Because if you set this to trees as well its much harder to look into forest for other players and they could get the advantage in PVP because of this]

Edge Smoothing: FXAA Normal
    [setting this off will make everything very blury, and any higher will also make it blury]

HDR Quality: Low
    [Makes next to no difference ether way, so mite as well take the extra fps]

Ambient Occlusion: Up to you
    [Look nice, but murders your fps]

Postprocess Quality: Disabled
    [AKA Depth of field. This blurs the game in the distance, so will put you at a disadvantage for PVP. Also each time you tamper with this setting it resets your Ambient Occlusion to disabled]

This is a very good guide to graphics settings

Last edited: 24 Jan 2014
  16. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

can you add friends in game so you can see where they are or join their server?

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

It links into steam and works with the overlay, so you can join off your steam friends list. It isn't easy to see what server your friends are on though, from what I have found.

18. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

In the game server browser, go to friends and it lists the servers. If you then click details it lists the friends in that server.

19. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Visuals have been good for me, apart from after having low blood for a long time it really strained my eyes even trying to see what was on the ground in front of me. In terms of friendlies too there are lots but it seems as soon as people get to balota they gear up and either go noob hunting or just troll people. It wouldn't be as frustrating getting killed all the time if there was a faster mode of transport than just running everywhere (vehicles are on the list of things to be added) and if there was some kind of end-game or disincentive to mess with people. Out of the 5 lives I've had so far I've died 3 times from not knowing how to play the game, once from a KOS bandit and once from being force fed disinfectant by trolls. Hmm.

Anyway yeah anybody wanna team up add me on steam, in the middle of exam revision atm but I should be on every few days. Username is ninjaplease.

PS, just in case we randomly bump into each other in-game is it worth perhaps having a password type deal?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Some of the changes in the latest two patches have really got me excited for where things are going.

The re-balancing of spawn points is something to watch. Initially I'm glad to see the Kamenka/Komorovo/Balota spawns gone, they became so powerful with that new corridor of military loot. I'm also glad to see the eastern edge of the map getting some traffic now, too few players get to really experience the area. Biggest downside so far: there's a clear dichotomy between those with and without a firearm. But I'm holding my breath until loot spawns are fully fleshed out. Once we've got a wider range of low end firearm, and buildings like farms and deer stands sorted out it should be much more balanced.

Snagged a Magnum to try out... a little disappointing. It's a good idea as a low end firearm: no magazine required, not super accurate or high capacity, but powerful enough to defend one's self. My complaints are that it's hopefully being worked on. You can't remove live rounds once loaded, you can't add rounds when not fully loaded or replace spend cases before firing all loaded rounds, and the model is static.

Mosin bayonet now opens cans. :D