1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That brushing noise should be the rotor just touching brake pads as the wheel turns, hopefully because your brake alignment is very slightly off centre. It's not a big deal, you can get obsessive and carefully align the caliper (and even get the fork brake mount face at a shop), but a tiny touch like that won't do you any harm.

If it's the rotor touching any part of the fork/wheel/brake other than the pads then no, that's not normal and should not be ridden, at all. It can happen on fork post mounts and rotors with fat alloy carriers like Hopes.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

This was before id mounted the caliper and carrier. I usually lob the wheel on to help line it all up quickly. Thought it was close gave it a spin and, yeah very close. If it stops raining ill get a photo of how close it is.

EDIT

Photo time! It runs a little close, decided im going to blame the floating rotor adding width, solution will be new one, in a non floating flavour. You can see the bolts running very very close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

10 minutes left to get the bike of a lifetime off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-B...geo=1&clk_rvr_id=569957402826&vectorid=229508

on my old fox 36's I had to dremmel off a bit of the post mount as floating rotors would not spin at all otherwise, so it's not surprising the clearance is very close on the 32's. Fox must make slightly oversized post mounts as I don't have problems on either sets of rockshocks I have - that being said actually I don't have any problems on my Fox 32 Van's I have at home but have stopped using, had 203mm hope floating rotors on those with no problem

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

The weight weenie in me says, ditch the floating rotors as they weigh more but they do look nice, also would look good with hollow titanium bolts :).

5. legoman

Thanks guys, ill see how it behaves if not ill probably get a non floaty rotor pop some washers on an take it to 185mm MDK, its already a weight weenie, ive got it down to 11.4Kg. I re did some cables on the rear mech earlier, bike in one hand using the screwdriver in the other, being a weight weeine has its perks!
    Im at the point in chasing such small gains now its going to get silly

6. Margo Baggins

HEATHEN!

Hope floating saw rotors - pinnacle of breaking technology right there :) (Not at all a hope owner who paid full whack 40 odd quid per rotor)

11.4 is good! my hard tail is a touch over 10, with slx groupset (no floating rotors) and 120mm reba fork

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I'm using the lightest rotors I could find which where the Superstar Fires, the floaty bit is just for bling lol, Hope are good but you can get just as good for a fraction of the money :).

I need to weigh my hardtail I suspect Its closer to 11 then 10 even with Titanium rotor bolts, & ali bolts where I can get away with them (true weight weenie style) & titanium pedals, its the biggest frame I could get & the wheels are not great lol.

8. Margo Baggins

Yeah absolutely, I only bought the hope ones as they had them in stock at the evans warehouse and I was in a mood where I wanted them that minute. I had even ordered some superstar ones that I was waiting to get delivered but the colour was not how I liked so I sent those ones back, which had only cost me 18 quid each and were basically identical just with a wavey outer bit and not a saw shaped one, and kept the 40 quid a pop ones. In hindsight that sounds stupid haha.

my full susser is the aboslutely opposite in weight terms, I think it's about 22kg or there abouts.

9. fix-the-spade

Shimano Floating rotors are the best, so much so that I tell people to get them when they buy Hope brakes.

On day I will weigh my bikes, probably the day I sell them...

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I'm not sure how weight conscious I'm going to be on my Full sus, I got quite bad on my hard tail as I used to live in a 3rd floor flat and carrying it up the stairs twice a day took its toll.

11. legoman

I'm not looking forward to the weight of my training bike, I'm deliberately making it heavy with double butted steel rims, think they weigh close to 2.5Kg add the frame and forks its nearly 8Kg before i add anything else. Least itll be bomb proof though. Tempted to get something silly ring wise, 52T outer ring? just for trolling roadies :naughty:

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I've got mine on a 44x16 I might change up to a 48 :p, have you seen the guy who did the land speed record with a front gear the size of a wheel lol :p.

13. Margo Baggins

The man in my LBS said my mono 6 brakes would not play nicely with shimano rotors, as I was in there to buy shimano rotors and I was going to buy the nice icetech rotors and he told me not to and sent me packing, which is how I ended up at the evans warehouse buying hope floaters!

52! that would be a lot of fun haha. My tourer doesn't even have a ring that big but then again it's geared quite low as most of the year I am out of shape so helps me get to the top of the hills :)

44x16 is pretty brave! 48?! mental.

14. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

All of the miles I've done for the last 6months have been on a 48x18 (2.66) Now I'm on the 44x16 (2.75) I am very tempted to go back to my old 48 and sit a at 3 ratio, it'll be a real arse up hill mind but flat speed will be nice :).

How come the Shim rotos don't play nice ? they ever so slightly thicker ?

Edit - Just because I wanted to see if they exist :)
    http://www.carbon-ti.com/index.php?p1=prodotti&Cat=XRSC&Cod=XROTORSC160
    Carbon cage with a Stainless rotor 75g I am tempted :p
    UK Link £207 lol http://www.evolutionimports.co.uk/shop/products/carbon-ti/disc-rotors.html

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  15. legoman

I suspect its going to be clearance especially with the ice rotors fins. Hope floaters have a nice size gap so the 6 pots will sit over them nicely.

52T would be amazing go zooming past everything on the flat. The noise would be immense though. Imagine how loud a set of Minions would get!
    48T must be nice on the flat but hell on hills id have to have another smaller ring to go with it.

An yeah, think ill pass on those rotors!

16. fix-the-spade

Not the ice-techs, the normal RT76 floating steel brake rotor. It plays nice with just about everything except some of the older Hayes and Hopes that had huge wide braking tracks, even Mono 6 pots.

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've not weighted my Slash though I'd guess it was around 15Kgs, my XTC is about 10.4Kgs, though that's Hope, Fox, Thompson and XTR so there's not a lot to save unless I go to carbon..

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

[​IMG]

Got some new bits fitted this morning (brake hose, front rotor, F&R pads, and pedals) first ever SPD's which still feel a little odd, but I'm slowly getting used to them.

Really need to get out more this year!

Last edited: 11 Jan 2014
  19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

My Full SUS project has started :), I went down the cheaper route and bought a mates Focus First bike. Have stripped it down, in process of cleaning it, re-bleeding the brakes and swapping them over as there in reverse (front left yuk), then its rebuild with new wheels, drive train, seat post, saddle, bars, grips, levers.

Big task will be to its setting up the front and rear shock.

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Any pics? Before/After/During is always fun.