1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair Obsidian 250D revealed as mini-ITX case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost What's a Dremel?

And just when you thought it can't get any bigger for a miniITX case, Corsair comes with this...:sigh:

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

It's still smaller than other mitx cases out there, such as the Prodigy.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As I said in the other thread about this case allready...

For a mITX definately too big. mITX shouldn't be bigger than some 15 liters.

This case could fit a µATX-setup, just like the Bitfenix Prodigy.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

And once again there are people who say that the small mITX cases don't have enough space for the hardware they want to use. Stop judging a platform by what YOU want to use it for.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not sure its a matter of judging what jrs77 needs, but a matter of the actual size of form factors.
    µATX = 9.6 × 9.6 in (244 × 244 mm)
    Mini-ITX = 6.7 × 6.7 in (170 × 170 mm)
    So going on the size of the case it could fit a µATX.

7. SchizoFrog

Corky42, jrs77 is making the statement that it is too big for a mITX case and there have been many other discussions in other threads where other users have said that the cases that jrs77 recommends on size basis just don't meet their requirements. This is one of the main reasons why the Prodigy has been so successful.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Exactly my point. The Bitfenix Proodigy is available in two versions... one with a mITX-setup and then a µATX-setup. Both have the exact same outer shell however, so go figure.

The question is, why would I want to spend money on a more expensive mITX board with less options, when I can fit a µATX in the same size of a case.

mITX is ment for building smaller cases than µATX imho, so I simply don't understand the idea of µATX-sized cases for mITX boards, especially as the mITX boards are'nt as good as the µATX-versions.

The only reason to go for such a big case with a mITX board is, if you wan't to watercool it really. Without the watercooling you can fit a mITX board with an i5-4670k and a GTX780 into a box of 12 liters without having troubles to cool the components at stock-speeds, and all of that with silent aircooling (custom-cooler GPU like the Gainward Phantom, and a CPU-cooler like the Thermalright AXP-200. A case of this size even fit's a standard-sized ATX-PSU.

EDIT: Exactly 12 liters with room for a 10" dualslot GPU, 2x 2.5" SSD/HDD and a standard sized ATX-PSU. With a little tweaking there's even the possibilty to fit a 120mm AIO watercooler for the CPU.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  9. SchizoFrog

You continue to ignore ALL the reasons why your arguments DO NOT suit everyone, and it is NOT all/only about watercooling.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm with JRS.

mATX sized cases using an ITX motherboard just make no sense to me.

None of the benefits of ITX (size, portability). None of the benefits of mATX (extra PCIe/PCI lanes, better VRM cooling)

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm not ignoring anything, I just don't understand the reason for an µATX sized case other than for a full watercooling setup.

But please, enlighten me with ALL the reasons.

12. SchizoFrog

Go re-read the Bit-Fenix article again if you need to.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What's there to reads, that you can't put into two sentences explaining it to me?

14. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Nobody needs to do that. However, you might want to try and actually wrap your brain around what people are saying, which I will kindly break down for you:

A case that can readily fit an m-ATX motherboard really ISN'T an m-ITX case.

My mid-tower has stand-offs to accommodate an m-ITX motherboard - by your logic I guess I can just slap in a Maximus VI Impact and start calling it an m-ITX rig?

I don't have a problem with the Prodigy as a case, but I DO have a problem with it being marketed as an m-ITX enclosure, just as I would if Corsair marketed the Obsidian 900D as m-ITX.

Speaking of Corsair, this 250D is m-ITX fail - it looks like someone stacked two SG05s on top of one another...

15. SchizoFrog

Yes, I understand the point being made about size. But can you show me a tiny mini-ITX case that offers as many HDDs and SSDs spaces, full size hardware compatibility including large tower air coolers, PSUs and GPUs AND the OPTION for water cooling, all with a nice layout that can be used with window panels to show off a nice system inside? The Prodigy is a mini-ITX as it can't house a mATX board within. The Prodigy M case has a completely different layout (which personally I don't like) and offers less options as a result.

Then there is the point that tiny Mini-ITX cases all look very much the same, like an oversized shoe box and I hate the look of them. So I would much rather have something a little bigger that looked far nicer, that is my opinion and I don't see the point of someone almost stalking each and every article to slag off the concept just because they don't like the idea themselves. Anyway, rant over and I won't comment further.

16. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I'm with Schizo on this. The whole point of the Prodigy, and cases like it, is that they fit full-size components in, without compromising on layout (PSU over the CPU, etc). They're about as optimal as can be without moving to SFX power supplies (actually, I wouldn't have a problem with doing this), dropping 5.25in bays, etc. It also can't be overstated how much bigger the Prodigy feels because of its handles - they add a total of around 4in in height. As such the 250D actually has markedly lower dimensions.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Fair points, but here's the deal...

There's allready cases like the TJ08e or the SG03, etc, which are basically in the same size-category as the Prodigy or this 250D, and if you fit a mITX-board into these, you've got the same results as you mentioned.
    So my question is: what makes the Prodigy and the 250D a mITX case, while we call the others µATX? That's my problem really. Where do we draw the line to distinguish between mITX and µATX? Is it just the motherboard-mounting options, or is there more to it? Why not take a Define Mini for example and shorten it by two PCI-slots and call it a mITX-case?

Most people buy a mITX-system becasue of it's small size, and I'd say that we stick with this primary reason for mITX, as you sacrifice PCI(e) slots and better board-layout in comparison to µATX in addition to the slightly higher price.

I've had two mITX-systems before I purchased my current rig, a Sugo SG05 and a LianLi Q08. They both worked perfectly fine and both could fit an AIO watercooler for the CPU and a double slot 9+" GPU in addition to two 2.5" SSD/HDDs. The Q08 was more silent and easier to work with ofc, but as it was huge compared to the small SG05 I went back to the cheaper and better option of a µATX-system.
    First I built the system in my sig into a Sugo SG03, with an AIO watercooler for the CPU, as I still liked the idea of as small a system as possible, but the sounddampened Define Mini was even better to built a near silent system, especially since my case rests behind my PC-screen, where it can't be seen.

I've thought about mITX and µATX layouts and designs for the last four to five years, having spend hours and hours in SketchUp to arrange components, and design frames around them, so yeah, I've built a pretty strong oppinion about this question. I didn't need to start drawing the above picture for this discussion really, I allready had it done some two years ago, and I've plenty more designs as detailed as the above lying around to cover every possible aspect of mITX-cases, be it boxes as small as possible with picoPSUs, or thin workstations with 1U-PSUs, fully fledged gaming rigs with ATX-PSUs, perfect cubes, etc etc etc.

After all this time thinking about mITX I've come to the decision, that everything bigger than some 15 liters shouldn't be called mITX anymore as it defies the reason to build a mITX instead of a µATX-system and I know alot of others are thinking the same way.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2014
  18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I just don't understand the problem, it's the same old recycled argument in every ITX case thread on here.

There are very small cases which cater for certain needs, and larger ones which cater for others. Choice has always been a good thing in the enthusiast market surely? I just can't understand the hate, nobody's forcing anyone to buy anything!

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I wouldn't consider the TJ08e and this in the same size bracket.

Personally not bothered, I don't mind what a company markets a case as, doesn't affect me really, I can still choose whether to buy it or not.
    I understand both sides of the debate though.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IMHO yes it's the maximum size of MoBo that can be mounted in the case as that's what dictates the form factor, outside of the form factor you then look at the dimensions of the case.

Tags: Add Tags