1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 9 'Threshold' release date April 2015

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 13 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

So, queue the Riddick fans going into PC world next year shouting "Take us to the threshold".

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Are MS too stupid or too stubborn to see what people want....or as I suspect, both.

Windows 9 Metro for tablets only

Windows 9 Desktop with traditional Start menu and if you really want it, the option to pay for a metro interface via download.

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

The Win8/Metro interface was fine for the 360 IMO, but now they've made this general announcement they've killed any casual trying out or comeback potential they could have had with a price cut and second service pack to 8.1.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As Steve Jobs said: people don't know what they want until you show it to them. Ford said: "If I gave people what they wanted I would be selling faster horses".

Stupid is relative.

6. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Spot on what Hustler said. Also why not introduce a lite gaming edition? Would surely sell if its priced correctlx.

7. Nexxo

Some people wish to interpret Windows 9 as a return to the good old days. The Messiah is coming and He will restore order and food old-fashioned family values once more... It is not; it is the next logical evolution of Windows and Metro, which is here to stay.

8. Nexxo

It's called the XBox.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Hell, why pay? Give it for free even, I don't care.

I just want the old start menu. (to a degree of enhancements, sure, but i still want to see my workspace when i access it)

10. rollo

rollo Modder

If it brings another 10% free performance Id upgrade. Otherwise im happy on 8, Easy enough to remove metro anyway.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'll think you'll find you don't speak for everyone. And iirc there was at least one Modern UI hater who ended up liking it and using it in the Marmite thread.

FTFY. Also, this is currently what we have just with the start menu being made by third parties which work just fine.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And Microsoft have show it to people and they still don't want it, well only around 25 million 1% of the 2.5 billion people who use computing devices want it.
    And how dare you call my sister stupid :naughty: only im allowed to do that :D
    Yup they do seem to be acting like a deer in the head lights don't they.
    To true, Microsoft gave up on the merits of using the PC as a platform to play games on long ago. It's why we are seeing SteamOS: To Valve, it's a first step in levering development, publishing, gameplay and community away from their reliance on Windows and DirectX (and to a lesser extent Mac OS), systems that cannot be relied upon in the long term.
    We can uninstall metro ? IDK we could remove the bloat, at last someone has convinced me to upgrade. If only we could also uninstall all the other unnecessary rubbish that comes with 8.X

13. Nexxo

Last time I checked Windows 8 has a smaller footprint than Windows 7. :p

14. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

There's a very obvious issue that hasn't been mentioned yet. Windows isn't cheap, why upgrade at all when XP, vista or 7 still does what most people want, ie run a web browser?

I only have windows 8 on my HTPC because it was much cheaper than 7 at the time (£25). My main rig uses windows 7 and win 8 hate aside, why would I "upgrade" to 8? What difference will it really make? I've used it plenty, the boot times are great but I'm not buying it for that. It has zero standout features I want and more stuff I don't want.

So when someone like me who has jumped onboard every release since 98 (technicially still have as i did buy 8) doesn't see the point you've got a big uphill struggle.

Windows 9 needs to bring something worthwhile to the table, something people really want, something useful.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2014
  15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Depends what version we are talking about, some people claim it uses more some say less. But the point remains that all recent versions of Windows install things some people have no use for.

16. Nexxo

That's what happens when one OS tries to cover all usage scenarios. Of course you could ask users to pick and choose the components to be installed (Custom instead of Express/Standard install) but then people will complain that the installation process is too complicated.

Frankly with terabyte drives going for £60,-- and even 250Gb SSDs going for just over a hundred bucks, Windows' install size is the last thing I worry about.

17. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

You also have to take in to account that the vast majority of people who have Windows 8 don't know or care that they can/should upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

They should simply make the Metro-thingy optional, like an additional layer or something.

For work I need the start-menu and the taskbar. Nothing more annoying than having to switch to the desktop or whatever to open another software instead of simply using either the pinned ones in the taskbar or the start-menu. Also, having multiple windows open using the taskbar to drag and drop stuff between two windows isn't something I would sacrifice for a fancy tiled desktop.

And having alot of stuff in the taskbar like the USB-control, sound, network, minimized software like the music-player etc is mandatory imho.

Microsoft should be improving Win7 instead of trying to force their Metro-crap upon us, who use their PCs for work primarily with the Classic UI, and yes, I'm not even using Aero in Win7, but oldschool Win98-style.

19. Nexxo

So you are saying that Windows should have remained unchanged from W98? I thought I was the old retro geek. :p

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You're not alone - I do too.

I like MrGumby's suggestion - a cut down version optimised for gaming.

Tags: Add Tags