1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Overclockers UK has a big ol' sale on

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Jan 2014.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

how did he get in, in the first place?

/serious you mods do a great job, and all I hope is OCUK's new owners have much better customer service as these prices are pretty tempting

2. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I had to RMA an SSD last December which I'd owned for 6 weeks at that point. It was a new build so it took time figuring out what was causing my random BSOD. OCUK swapped it out no problem.

3. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

OCUK = Overcharged UK?

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I think a lot of people aren't aware that OCUK changed a lot when CaseKing bought them up. I've never personally experienced the poor customer service that people commonly deride them for - But I do accept that it was a problem in the past. No smoke without fire and all that.
    I've seen just as many comments since the buyout, though; saying that it's no longer a problem - That things at OCUK have been sorted out properly.

The use of DPD by both Scan and OCUK has swayed me away from both shops recently though - DPD are atrociously bad in handling rural addresses.
    I've had trouble with every single DPD delivery in the past two years - Often because they claim the shop never forwarded them my phone number, so when they fail to find the address; they just return my stuff or bring it to a depot in the arse-end of nowhere.
    More hassle than they're worth.

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

AFAIK only the owners changed, not the staff (well, apart from that hideous racist twunt who I hope dies in a chemical fire).

I've never had bad service from OCUK. What stops me buying there (as it does with Scan) is their illegal policies which they quote on you when you want to RMA. IE - service charges if they don't find a fault and so on. Now with something like a baseball bat? I wouldn't be worried. However, near on all of the duff PC parts I've had have had intermittent problems that only arise after a few hours use, and this is why I don't buy from either company unless I can help it.

OCUK quoted it on me and I ended up RMA directly with MSI, and Scan screwed me out of £15+.

Now? Amazon. No arguing, no picking the peanuts out of poo, just a no nonsense hassle free (noting free as in you don't even have to pay return shipping) service.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I haven't had to RMA anything with Scan or OCUK personally so I can't comment on that, but it is definitely the main area I've seen complaints about with both companies; for sure.

That's been my experience with Amazon as well. No ********, just good service. I've started to buy my hardware from them when I can, these days.
    The thing I feel I have to watch out for with Amazon is whether an item is being sold and dispatched from Amazon, or from a third-party. If I wanted to buy from eBay sellers, I'd go to eBay..

7. AlienwareAndy

It's simply because Amazon are not an specific company. IE - you buy a computer part. When it comes to returning it you talk to a lady on the phone who couldn't give a toss. What I mean is small outlets like OCUK and Scan like to argue the toss. I've had to engage in conversation (on an 087x number too, just to rub salt in the wound) on the phone with some real vapid little twerps from both companies, become enraged and leave dissatisfied.

Amazon couldn't give a crap if you're sending back a motherboard or a ironing board tbh.

As for their third parties? I'm not fussed. Amazon have an A-Z guarantee mate. I got stung by some little dickhead once who thought that a single ply padded envelope was good enough to ship a 8800 GTS in. It wasn't, it bent and broke (three caps fell off).

He started giving it the "send it back" routine, at which point I reminded him of the law (IE if something arrives broken you don't pay return shipping, you offer the seller a chance to collect it out of politeness basically).

So he says "Get me a shipping quote". I went to the PO and had it weighed and then offered him any of his choice and he started arguing with me saying it was too much (as a ***** that sends a GPU in a padded envelope would) and what I didn't realise was that Amazon were reading the emails. They did a snatch back so I got an immediate refund and banned him.

What put the icing on the cake was basically putting the caps back on and baking it. Worked a treat :)

Zurechial likes this.
  8. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Always had very good service on OCUK, cannot fault it. Scan - cannot say the same... Amazon also been very good, you pay your money you take your chance...

No one forces you to shop at a given retailer, just go with what you like / know.

9. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

Another unmarked puff piece. Check reseller ratings .com for everything you want to know about OCUK, they are not a nice company to do business with. Guess the new owners of OCUK are worse than the previous ones. Paying off news outlets, takes two to tango but I can't believe both parties thought this was a good idea.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you got any proof of what your saying or does the libel police have to sue you? remember - you are NOT anonymous on the internet....

11. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I kinda thought you were since I doubt people are going to after his ip, for being libelous ^^

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ryan air sued the owners of pprune for slanderous comments made on its forum - they said that unless the owner of the pprune forum wanted to be on the side of the defence in the upcoming court case then hand over the information (or something similar).

the owners of pprune handed over all relevant information , and ryan air`s lawyers went after the posters.

ergo - you are not anonymous on any forum.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I'm going to stick up for OCUK. I've bought a few bit and bobs from them (including my main monitor) and live locally so have been able to pop into the store to pick them up. Customer service was friendly and I was happy. Price wise, they sell some bits cheaper and some bit dearer - just like all the other companies out there.

I'll be shopping there again.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's a news post that's relevant to your interests as buyers of PC parts, is it not? If you don't buy there, don't read it! :rolleyes:

And wow - the level of cynicism here. Just.. wow. OK so maybe (you) had bad experiences with OCUK, taking it out on bit is just ridiculous. Given that attitude it's amazing anyone advertises given some of the comments (and for the record I don't work in ASUS UK so I don't affect that advertising budget.)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Jan 2014
  15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

^ this.

It's a link to a forum post on OCUK, relevant to a large number of readers on this site. Clicking on it is optional.

For the record I buy stuff from wherever is cheapest, and I've had enough experience of all the big players to conclude that they are all roughly the same.

16. AlienwareAndy

Yeah come on guys don't blow this out of proportion. It's no different to some one posting a link in the Hardware Bargains Thread really. Just because the admins are spreading the word doesn't mean there are back handers going on for crying out loud.

OCUK are too tight to pay for it any way :D (joke by the way for the serious people in this thread)

17. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Has a quick look - have been keeping an eye on GTX 770 prices for a while and those *sale* prices are nothing special.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Fwiw, it's the blurring of lines between editorial and advertising that bothers me - for example, this article also concerns OCUK, but has a nice clear banner at the top clearly stating that it's an ad and not editorial - that's cool. But this is essentially an ad in the guise of editorial, which is less cool imo.

Also fwiw, I've nothing against OCUK - I've used them in the past and will probably use them in the future. In my experience, most PC hardware e-tailers are much of a muchness so please don't think this is an anti-OCUK post.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't believe OCUK would be happy to pay for a news post linking to a forum thread. I might be wrong, but generally when retailers pay for advertising they do it through the proper channels.

For starters, there'd be no way to track the source of any revenue generated unless the link was to a store page, so they would never see the benefit of such 'advertising'.

I suspect it's more a case of Bit giving its users a friendly nudge in the direction of one of the biggest component retailers in the UK, with the hope that OCUK will help out with review samples and suchlike going forward.

20. 5UB

5UB What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, shame to see some bad feedback here of Overclockers UK.

I work for Overclockers UK myself, and from looking of the comments on here it is either old, or untrue.

For example someone has posted a review site about ourselves (Reseller Ratings), and the last review was written in 2013, and there were two reviews in total in 2012, one good and one negative. Hardly something to go by, why not look at our recent reviews? For example we have reviews here and here:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews5686.html

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.overclockers.co.uk

These seem to appear to be more recent, and a lot more than 3 reviews over the last few years. Not only that, why not experience our service first hand? :)

Over the past year we have invested lots into the company as regards to customer service, and we have won two awards last year for Retailer of the Year. Some of you may know there was a huge change within our company being purchased by Caseking who are very keen in making sure the customer is put first for customer service.

As for pricing of prices, we cannot always be the cheapest, same goes with our competitors, prices will be different all the time no matter where you shop, however we are aiming to give the best service we possibly can. :)

If anyone has any current issues with Overclockers UK, or problems or questions, feel free to send me a message privately and I will do my best to answer them all for you. :)

Tags: Add Tags