1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone ARM One ARM11SC Monitor Arm Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 28 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Yukionno

Yukionno What's a Dremel?

3. Meanmotion

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Could I clamp this to the side of a desk, and then have it going across? Not sure if you can visualise what I mean?

5. Meanmotion

So you have the black pole horizontal? If that's what you mean then no. However there is a wall mount version which you could use or adapt for attaching to a vertical desk side.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

(Googles weight of Dell U2713HM)

"5.6kg? Hmm...."

7. Bonedoctor

Bonedoctor Have you turned it off & on again?

Looks ideal for a multi-monitor setup

8. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

You need a really heavy duty unit for the U27XX, which I did. :D

9. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

How high can it extend?
    This is the main selling point to me. I want my monitor to be much higher than the standard stand allows it.
    On the photos it doesn't look that much higher..

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Googles weight of Dell 3007WFP-HC...

11.38KG :sigh:

Hmm, £65 for a monitor stand or a fiver for a lump of wood.... :lol:

11. BenB

BenB What's a Dremel?

Looks like a solid bit of kit. I've been using one of these:
    http://www.allcam.biz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=698
    for a couple of years, which seems to do most of the same but a fair bit cheaper. It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse - I bought a laptop tray (which fits a 16 inch Sony Vaio desktop replacement laptop) from the same site which is sharing the same vertical pole which gives you an idea how strong it is.
    Ben

12. Meanmotion

I've embedded Silverstone's video on the second page, which should give you slightly more of an idea. The maximum height isn't all that high though it's considerably higher than most standard stands allow. It's well over double that of the Dell - the last two images of the Dell on the second page show it at maximum extension on its standard stand compared to pretty much minimal for the ARM. As for the Viewsonic, its stand extends particularly high anyway so the ARM probably only adds 20cm or so.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I was looking at the Dell arm for my 23" monitor just before christmas (unfortunately the price has shot up from ~£60 to ~£110 now)

14. Meanmotion

Blademrk likes this.
  15. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

I'm using two Ergotron LX arms for my 2407WFP and U2713HM.

The single biggest advantage in my setup is being able to bring the 27" monitor out to the edge of the desk with almost no effort and use it for watching movies, since we don't own a TV.

It's also very handy for placing the 27" in front of the 24" for times when I want to use it in a single monitor configuration.

With the 27" extended, and the monitor tilted up almost parallel to the desk, it's remarkably tempting to touch, and looks a lot like something you'd find in a mall. If I could find a similar solution for my keyboard and mouse, a standing desk environment would be possible without the whole desk needing to move.

Also pretty cool is rotating the monitor by 90 degrees and rotating the desktop (integration with an accelerometer, or even as simple as a tilt switch, would be awesome). Handy if you want to look at very long websites, especially in full screen, since a 27" monitor is way too wide for almost all sites. Things like live feeds (breaking news, twitter, sports games etc.) work really nicely in portrait with a full screen browser.

If you don't have a monitor arm, you probably don't know what you're missing. I advise you buy one - a quality item should last almost forever, since I can't see the VESA mount ever really becoming obsolete, so the amortized cost is very low. At least until we have very different display technology.

Final point: I bought two dual-link DVI cables with right-angle heads, and two dual-link DVI extension cables, so that I could have enough slack in the cabling. I snapped the head of one DVI cable owing to tightness when the monitor was angled upwards, thankfully the connector on the monitor wasn't affected, apart from the screw-in bolt holes having the remains of the cable's screws, but they were easily replaced. You need a fair amount of slack in the cabling to accommodate the full range of motion, and right-angle heads (make sure you get the correct right angle) greatly reduce the strain on typically stiff DVI cables.

16. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Well, I've just bought something similar off ebay for £7! (Not saying it'll be any good thought!) We'll see...

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Will you be reviewing any more of these stands?

Maybe a fuller roundup in CPC? Would be interested to compare a few of them.

18. Meanmotion

Sure, will definitely try and get a few more in.

19. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Brilliant.

One thing I'd love to see is you trying to mount them on some of the cheaper Ikea desks.

I have something like this and I'd be unhappy about trying to mount a 27" iiyama screen clamped to it currently. Its a wood and cardboard lightweight desk that quite a few people have. I'd be curious to see what would happen with a clamp style or a drilled in style monitor stand. I THINK it would be OK, but I wouldn't want to invest in a stand only to have it literally snap my desk, and drop my screen.

I considered getting some wood above and below it to sandwich it a little bit and spread the weight, but that sort of defeats the purpose a bit I think.

Oh and once you're done you could try doing this.

20. Meanmotion

Well, I have to confess that's exactly what we tested on and as mentioned in the review it didn't cope all that well with the front corners of the stand digging into the top surface. However as the point stands that any remotely soft wood table would suffer the same problem it seems a fair comment. A couple of small (the same footprint as the stand but square) pieces of MDF, or maybe some foam-backed steel, would definitely sort the problem - any proper office-grade desk will cope fine. There's also the issue that those Ikea tables are so light that you almost move them before moving the monitor but the key word there is 'almost'.

Tags: Add Tags