1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Busted the Antenna that came with my Maximus VI Impact

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 31 Jan 2014.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Hi all. Somehow (I blame the rabbit) the wires for my wi-fi module got chewed through. I've been looking around for a replacement but I can't seem to find on the Asus site if one is available for sale. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to get a replacement, or can I just stick a couple of RP-SMA antennas on there and call it a day?

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

It an aerial 2 thin cables to 2 screw like bnc conectors ??

3. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

You should probably be fine with any old SMA connected antenna, ebay is a decent source. From googling it looks like you have a slightly odd shaped antenna, but tbh. a wifi antenna is a wifi antenna, although signal quality and range can be affected. (If range/quality is an issue you might want to start looking into directional antennas, but I don't have any clue about those...)

(I recently replaced two fixed antennas on a TP-Link PCI-E card with 5m of SMA cabling + 2 small standing antennas, which actually hugely improved things as I could place the antennas in almost direct line-of-sight of the router (not counting 2 doors), whereas previously the signal would've gone via 3 walls, a water storage tank, and who knows what else.)

4. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I had this happen to me too. Very frustrating. I tried to research what that cable is and I found that it was compatible with the "RG58" standard. The cable is mini coaxial so it's a massive fiddle to build your own.

I soldered the two ends of the cable and it's somehow working. When I finish my build I will probably send a support request to Asus and see what they say.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

These aren't too hard to find, it's the same used on pretty much all mini pci-e wifi cards. Search for mini Hirose U.fl/IPEX RP-SMA Pigtail should get you what you need.
    Or if you're taking about an external antenna, then yes pretty much any SMA antenna will do.

6. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Wow Ivan, thank you so much. That was exactly what I was looking for and failed to find. :clap: I hope these are the same ones that the OP needs.

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Thanks guyd, yeah I'll look these up when I'm back home.