1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Built a PC for the other half's mum and dad. Managed to get an really good i3 build with an SSD using mostly used parts from the marketplace and some new parts like the case. Total cost was around £250 or something like that. Built it without any issues and it absolutely flew along while being dead silent to boot. Got it all finished and the other half took it back to her place earlier on in the week.

They didn't even have it for a day before the issues started. "Overclock failed!" on startup even though its a H67 board with an i3 in it so overclocking isn't even possible, random freezes and lockups and taking up to 10 mins to turn off despite booting in less than 10 secs. Googling the overclock failed issue points to being an common Asus problem with no fix.

I think I'm just gonna part it out and get them a plain Zoostorm box with a warranty, I really can't be ****ing bothered with it anymore. Expect a for sale thread in the marketplace soon.

2. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I've got an Asus H61 MB (from a Zoostorm PC) you can have for postage if that will help you out? Used it for a good 8 months with no issues.

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I might take you up on that offer MrJay. They're gonna drop it back to me so I'll have a check for anything obvious first (knowing my luck it'll be fine back at my house) before I part it back out.

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

It's always the way, the amount of units at work that seem totally dead in the classroom that suddenly spring to life when they get to my workbench!

Give me a PM if you need it and we can sort out postage costs.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Our youngest cat just tried to set the apartment on fire. He jumped on the stove and somehow managed to turn it on while my grill cord was on the burner. Smoke detector went off and I blew out the candle sized flame, but I now need to replace my cooker cord.

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Spent 3 hours trying to reflash the phone all because I forgot to remove a sim card. Also usb connector broke - had to solder directly to 0402 resistors...

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the life ruining thread or life awesome thread, but it ended up giving me a massive headache, so in here it goes :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I'll update this post later with a 3D render once I get it finished...

[edit]

And there we go, best part of 3 hours work to turn this:

[​IMG]

Into this:

[​IMG]

Which will eventually be turned into an almost carbon copy (excuse that terrible pun) of the original :thumb:

As simple as it looks now it's done, this was difficult to get right. There's no room for error on this part, so it's modelled to a tolerance of 0.1mm. Hence, headache :grr:

Last edited: 10 Feb 2014
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Playing connect the dots there uni?

9. Unicorn

Hah, something like that :worried: Updated my post above with a render.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

At the moment, I'm quite crossed because I haven't received a package that UPS claim to have delivered. These UPS punks left the parcel in front of the Garage....brilliant ! Who would think about stealing an unsupervised box left alone in front a house ?

11. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

Microsoft 70-680 exam is pretty much ruining my life.

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

More annoying than ruining.

I did an order with Scan on Friday night, which I didn't get free postage on. When I looked into it, it's £20 before VAT, I was 20 something pence short, my fault I can take it.

The parcel doesn't arrive within it's specified 1 hour slot, I check the DPD site and it's been rearranged for Wed at my request, which I didn't request.

Somehow my phone number is 1 digit wrong (I say somehow as I'm 99% sure I've had text from Scan via DPD before) on Scan's site and whoever got the confirmation text this morning has been a dick and rearranged it.

The nice person at DPD has bumped it forward onto tomorrows delivery list so it's not as bad as it could have been.

Though I am tempted to post the wrong phone number on a men's toilet wall or 4chan.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Bent CPU socket pins. Not bent my me but for me to fix. Annoying!

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

A needle and lots of sweat then Sam...

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yeah. I've got it up and running now but one of the RAM sockets won't play. I need to find my magnifying glass and try again tomorrow I think...

16. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Ooooh, you could have some fun!

17. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Why didn't you mirror the sketch and cut down the work.

18. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Netflix and constant streaming issues. Buffering... buffering... buffering... oh hey lets drop down to 20%.

Also the customs has been holding onto a package of mine for a few days. Already got the AIOS here set up and filled waiting for the mod its going to be paired with. But nope, lets wait until some doofus at customs gets off his oh-so-important coffee break, checks the price on shipping label and decides its not worth the trouble.

19. Unicorn

Erm... It is mirrored. That vertical construction line down the very centre of the sketch is what the entities are mirrored about. I'm rusty at SW, but not that rusty!

Last edited: 11 Feb 2014
  20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Some dickwit piled heavy stuff on my bow core I received and I have to get a propeller twist out of one limb.