1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Another Intel Broadwell delay rumoured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Feb 2014.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Very happy with my Haswell. I had an Ivy i5 but I had to get rid of it. When it came time to rebuild I went with a 4670k. Don't know if I'm lucky, but I hit 4.5 ghz easily and I don't go more than 62c-65c during the most CPU intensive task I do: 3DS Max renderings.

Not too worried about Broadwell.

2. AiA

AiA Minimodder

nah, we dont need anything faster to browse bit tech news :)

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

As everyone has stated there is no competition, so unlike RAM, the prices of CPU's remain steady. Drop the price of the 4670K to $160USD and I'd start fidgeting with my wallet.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I see a lot of complaints here about the performance increase of the last couple of generations from Intel but they are nearly always from the perspective of those who bought in to those previous generations and would like to upgrade again, seemingly for no apparent reason. So here is my question, with Haswell taking such a critical beating, especially with regards to desktop parts, if someone was building a new machine or upgrading from say a Q6600, what would be your genuine recommendations? To still go with a Haswell part as they are still the best you can get right now? To go with a Sandy part because they offer a little extra overclocking potential? Or just hold off if possible and wait for Broadwell? Forget AMD right now as this is specifically an Intel question.

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

same here. PlanetSide2 is the only game the past couple years that made me want to upgrade.

And I play a LOT of games...

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

It's a tough call really. Those of us with Sandy bridge CPU's are looking at IB and seeing only power consumption improvements at best. Haswell seems even more pointless now that rumors suggest that s1150 won't be compatible between Haswell and Broadwell.

If you plan on going with external graphics, I'd go Ivy Bridge from a budget standpoint. Good balance between power efficiency and performance and no more of a dead upgrade path than Haswell.

7. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Waited till Haswell came out then I went from a i7 920 to an IVY i5 3350P in an itx setup. I'm pretty impressed with it's performance paired with my 670GTX.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do they not bother counting tablets, phones, netbooks, because they are such a small part of it's market ? note: IDK what market share they have in the ultra mobile sector, if any.

@SchizoFrog, If you can hold out long enough, personally i would wait for Skylake.

9. SchizoFrog

Skylake? LMAO... That is most likely another 3 years away. Also I have a feeling that due to the all round step up in technology (DDR4 for example) it may actually be more prudent to skip that first gen and go for Skylake's successor. I have a feeling that Broadwell won't bring that much more to the table and the next big leaps will start to come with Skylake, but so will all the teething issues.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They count 'em, but not as part of the PC Client Group. The PC Client Group is desktops and laptops, plus selected hybrids and convertibles and I *think* (but don't quote me on this) the Microsoft Surface Pro family, for some reason; the Data Centre Group is servers and HPC, plus selected network appliances that use the Intel Architecture; smartphones, pure tablets, embedded platforms like set-top boxes, and all that sort of stuff is reported under the umbrella of "other Intel architecture operating segments" which includes but is not limited to the Intelligent Systems Group, Intel Mobile Communications, the Netbook Group, the Tablet Group, the Phone Group, and the Service Provider Group. Intel's last area of grouped income is recorded under Software and Services Operating Segments, which includes things like McAfee-as-was and Wind River.

As for how big a chunk of Intel's overall business it forms: last financial year Intel reported revenue of $33.0 billion (down four per cent annually) from the PC Client Group, $11.2 billion (up seven per cent annually) from the Data Centre Group, but just $4.1 billion (down seven per cent annually) from "other Intel architecture operating segments."

11. rollo

rollo Modder

$33bil from a sector most say is struggling nearly 3 times its data centre revenue.

Intels no competition in the pc Client sector as it calls it has basically put us in this place to begin with.

I said a few years back AMDs none compete would be bad for the pc sector now some time later the facts are finally starting to bite home. At least for enthusiasts.

Choices in the high end is basically x79 based system or a 4770 k haswell chip. Nothing else is even close if you have that sort of budget. He'll a 980 is still faster than 90% of chips made since.

Intel seems happy but they have no reason not to be.

Even if they lost another 4% this year they would still break $30bil revenue.

12. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Well I get plenty of performance from my 980x my only complaint with 1366 is the Marvell controller for Sata 3 being crap other than that its fine

David likes this.
  13. SchizoFrog

I just read that Intel is due to release Z97 and H97 chipset boards along with a Haswell CPU refresh. Does anyone know what these new chipsets are supposed to bring to the table? Is it likely to be worth waiting until the supposed April release before planning a new build?

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Rumors say Intel's 9 series chips will come with PCIe M2

15. SchizoFrog

Sorry but PCIe M2 is? :/

16. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

It seems it's an edge connector for things like SSDs.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

18. SchizoFrog

Ah... OK.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I am assuming that ATX motherboards won't really need these as space isn't often a problem in cases for those. So these could be interesting for high storage, micro builds (mATX and especially Mini-ITX)? As well as ultra light, ultra thin mobile devices with vast increases in available storage space although I am sure it will also come with vast increases in cost too. But what does the future hold? Are these to eventually replace SATA as the main storage connectors? Is this connection going to offer speed increases? I guess we'll have to wait and see when it is made official and released...

Last edited: 16 Feb 2014
  19. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Without sounding like a grump it seems it's something else that Intel are making because they are moving to the smaller/mobile market and something that's just pointless for desktops.

Kinda like Haswell.

Now usually us desktop PC users get server hand me downs. I used to think this was a bad thing, now I wish things were different. At least server parts are fun.

20. SchizoFrog

Feel free to sound off your grumpiness... Sometimes I think it is the only way to get an honest opinion.

I don't want to go down the road of pointless changes though. I try not to think of the fact that I have to buy a CPU from either AMD or Intel with a GPU built in that I have no need for nor intention of ever using. I am scared of the potential future where the processor will one day include a small level of RAM and storage all in one that no one will ever want to use but will still have to pay for as it is included in the package. Anyway, I digress... :)