1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Thief launches without AMD Mantle, TrueAudio support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Feb 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Dont know wether im shocked or not surprised at all, Will all Mantle games require a patch addon.

Would of thought this was built from the ground up around Mantle as its a AMD sponsored game.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

WOW another game that launches without Mantle support out of the box.

Although Mantle appears to be worthwhile to people, I cannot help but laugh everytime I hear of delays about it.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I got bored of waiting for AMD, Nvidia got my money.

If they would just learn to manage expectations a bit better instead of giving the impression they are going to transform the world of gaming, then I'd be a lot more forgiving.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

That's the biggest problem to all of the AMD fans. The AMD PR department must be on crack as every single pr release for the last ten years have been a total let down at best or bare faced lie at worst.

This however is probably just a case of the game starting development before Mantle specs or details were sent to the developers.

6. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

really getting annoyed about this x.x. mantle seems like it'd be completely awesome if it gains the proper momentum, but every announcement of delay is going to decrease that momentum. hopefully the other companies will put more effort into it's integration otherwise it might just halfway fade out and never get the spotlight. T_T

7. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD if the latest results that daily tech posted are accurate are loosing ground to intel and nvidia in gpus. You wonder how much delays like this influence potential buyers for there gpus. That and the crypto craze in America making there cards a lot more expensive. You can get 2 780s for 1 r290 in USA at today's nuts pricing.

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Hmm more duct tape for the obligatory ghetto patch.

Mind you, let's face facts here, DX11 was exactly the same when it launched. It was only really Dirt 2 that came with it natively (others were patched in like F3AR and Crysis 2) and it was discovered that most of the effects in Dirt 2 were actually DX 10 and could be hacked into life.

The Tessellation left a lot to be desired really.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Hardly optimised for AMD hardware then, wonder if the recommended specs will be lowered when Mantle patch comes out?

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

pulling numbers completely out of the air, here, but supposing the market split is skewed in favour of nVidia, so that the ratio of GeForce to Radeon is 2:1 (I can't access Steam survey results at work). Even if Eidos were paid a lot of money to use Mantle, and excluding the development time needed to implement it, wouldn't it be an odd use of resources to delay a game release in order to implement a feature that only 33% of your customers could use?

Also, isn't Mantle only of use to AMD card beyond a certain model/gen? Wouldn't that therefore reduce the number of potential customers who would benefit even further?

It would be like Microsoft delaying the release of Windows 8 so that they could fully implement touchscreen control for the initial release even thought the number of touchscreen models in the market is tiny.... wait... bad example.... ;-P

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That whole statement from Eidos reads more like a polite version of "AMD missed their deadlines".

+1 on managing expectations - a little less hype and a little more substance.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not a terrible guess: Nvidia had 52.01%, AMD 31.36%, Intel 16.25% and 'others' 0.38% as of January 2014.

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I remember reading it's something like 10% that can actually use mantle. Clearly it takes a fair amount of dev effort. That's why it's never going to go mainstream - only 1 in 10 can use it, and most of them would prefer them to fix the other bugs in the game first before worrying about mantle. Yet if they did that it would arrive 6+ months after release, by which point hardly anyone would care.

14. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

Agree entirely .

It needed to come with a popular title, at launch(even one with SP only), work flawlessly out of the box. And "ridicule" [AMD's words] its competitor's performance.

These botched / semi botched launches aren't giving the right impression, for what is surely the future of gaming.
    Because using brute force and high end CPU /GPU combinations to overcome DirectX 's many inherent problems and limitations, clearly is an idiotic strategy going forward. And as we've seen already ,with Mantle matching or beating DX;all while demanding a fraction of the CPU overhead, it's more efficient with a lower power draw.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2014
  15. AlienwareAndy

Hmm well I don't think it's entirely AMD's fault nor problem.

Mantle itself is done and ready. Just because game devs are now torn between DX11 and Mantle isn't AMD's fault. What I mean is, until they code a game for Mantle from the ground up then it's going to be a bit crap.

And with Thief they obviously haven't. DX came first, Mantle as the sloppy afterthought.

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think the development of Thief came before Mantle to be honest. Hence, it is AMD's fault for trying to say it will be Mantle ready when they hadn't given the developers enough time to "port" it to use Mantle.

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As I've said previously, Mantle is one for the future, not one for the present. As Andy says, it'll need devs giving proper attention to Mantle before it really shows what it can do.

18. AlienwareAndy

Then Eidos wanted in for the sales? They've released it !

No doubt AMD were told it would be ready because they were showing it off a few weeks back.

Either way I don't think it's anything to panic over tbh.

"It's gonna take tiiiime, a whole lot of precious time, it's gonna take patience and time.. Ahhh, to do it to do it etc"

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's been in development since 09: HD 6000 era.

20. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

I switched from green to red swept along on the crest of the PR wave created about Mantle.....this is very disappointing.....delays and very variable performance improvements are going to kill uptake.

If things don't pan out this will be the very very last time I go red.......fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!